• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 R1200RT Battery

1downfourup

I just rode my new 2017 R1200RT home and immediately wanted an SAE plug connection to the battery. Took off the battery cover and could not believe how difficult it was to get the battery out and back in. I never did get the cover back on... just stretched the black elastic holder and reconnected that. I am very tempted to buy a smaller battery and use a spacer to hold it in. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Battery

I have a 14' RT and plan on putting in a Shorai lithium. I've used them on my last 3 bikes, over 5 years, without an issue. Usually saves 5+lbs. and is considerably smaller. I bought the Shorai charger as well.

I haven't worked on that bike. I have found that most of the batteries (and tool-kits) are hard to "repackage". I'd leave it alone. You have 2 years warranty on the original. It looks like you are getting ready to use a battery tender- you'll be fine.
Sometimes warming the wires with a heat gun limbers up the wires and allows them to get back into position.
OM

You don't have to remove the battery to get at the contacts. The negative terminal should be right in front of you as you look at the battery and BMW provides a convenient positive tap just to the right of that. Connect to those two points and you're good to go.

Ahhhh... I saw that positive post off to the side for jump starting but did not see that I could connect the SAE plug there. Damn. Would have been a lot easier. Thank you, guys for your replies.

Ahhhh... I saw that positive post off to the side for jump starting but did not see that I could connect the SAE plug there. Damn. Would have been a lot easier. Thank you, guys for your replies.
:thumb
And a hurricane mt. road ride to you as well.
Gary

Back