• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tall windshield for '03 K12RS

aarnvark

I have a 2003 K1200RS. I am tall and would like a taller windshield, or a mod to make the wind blast less. Any ideas?

One option is the 03 and 04 BMW K1200GT shield. You can also add the GT hand guards.

This will sound snide, snippy, uncaring, and possibly rude but... get used to it. You'll be very glad you did when the temps go up. How tall is tall? After all, we're talking from the butt up, not from the toes up. At 6'-ish (more at high tide...), it's very rare for me to raise the flip-up stock screen. If it's "cow on a flat rock" raining, probably. Otherwise, even in the mid-30's I bundle up (heated jacket liner), wear a silk scarf (Aerostich - from them it's manly, anywhere else it's ...um... not), and keep the collar closed, but leave the windscreen down. Sometimes I may crack the chin vent on my Shoei GT-Air. End of story. (OK, if you must, a thin balaclava might work, maybe, possibly, sorta if you've got an over-sized helmet (bad thing those... let your head rattle around like a BB in a boxcar if Things Go Wrong).

Besides, all the after-market KRS stuff is gone. CeeBailey (SP????) still carries the headlight shield, but that's it. Anything you find will come from a boneyard or Bimmer Boneyard or Duncan's Beemers or FleaBay. Soooooo get used to it. :)

It looks like Aeroflow will sell you the plastic, but not the mounting brackets, so if you're handy, you may be in luck. Parabellum makes an extended and widened screen.

You may be able to get a way with a laminar lip or a Windscreen Spoiler .

I found that the wind noise/buffeting was hitting me just right above my eyebrows, making it much worse. I added a cheap windscreen spoiler from eBay to my K75S with Aeroflow screen and it has made a tremendous improvement. With the stock screen I had a clean air flow, but too much airflow for riding in the cold weather. On nice thing about the spoiler, is that you can adjust it depending on temperature for more or less air flow. Good luck!

That means looking past hardware that leaves permanent marks on a windscreen which is almost unreplacable. :dunno

Of course, as always, ride your own ride.

That means looking past hardware that leaves permanent marks on a windscreen which is almost unreplacable. :dunno

Of course, as always, ride your own ride.

No permanent marks from the spoiler... however, I'm the kind of guy that prefers function over form.

Windshield Marks K1200RS

My windshield has so many marks and scratches on it that it serves only as a support for whatever kind of added wind deflector I can find. I might as well paint it.

K1200RS windshield add-on

After searching everywhere for an affordable windshield extension for my '03 K1200RS, I bought an inexpensive spoiler that clamps onto the upper lip of the OEM.
My first impression is very positive. The wind noise is way lower. The wind flow on my face has been lifted by about 4-6". The spoiler is easily adjustable for tilt and height. At 6'5" tall, I can very easily see over the spoiler and its mounting hardware. I am happy.

After searching everywhere for an affordable windshield extension for my '03 K1200RS, I bought an inexpensive spoiler that clamps onto the upper lip of the OEM.
My first impression is very positive. The wind noise is way lower. The wind flow on my face has been lifted by about 4-6". The spoiler is easily adjustable for tilt and height. At 6'5" tall, I can very easily see over the spoiler and its mounting hardware. I am happy.

Inquiring minds want to know: What brand? From where? How much?

That you're happy is the most important thing. :thumb:thumb:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

The windshield spoiler on eBay was $33
from xracingmoto .... there were several other vendors to choose from. Easy to install. Worth the money.

Back