• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT question on amp draw and heated clothing

rtk123

My, new to me, bike came equipped with wiring for a GPS (now running my Zumo 550 which is rated at a 15 watt max) and Clearwater Darla Aux. Lights (total of 48 watts). It came with a Centech AP-2 dual fuse panel. I believe the GPS and Aux. lights run into this panel. Also one of the three onboard sockets (rear right) is also wired into the fuse panel for some reason. I am aware this bike has an electronic fuse system which I believe temporarily disconnects power to an overloaded circuit and then somehow reboots in a manner that I'm I don't understand). The onboard sockets are rated at a max of 10 amps in total. I have a Gerbing's dual controller and am looking to power the following:
Jacket at 7.4 amps
Gloves at 2.2 amps and
Pants at 4.5 amps
When I plug the controller into the front socket and attempt to power my Jacket and Gloves I will overload the circuit which I don't understand since the amps of the Jacket and Gloves together at 9.6 should be under the rating of 10 amps for the socket system. I pretty sure that once the Jacket alone caused an overload. I would like to run all three at the same time but that is currently not possible.
Anyone have any thoughts as to what's going on?
Is a simple solution to just wire the controller directly to to Centech fuse panel or will I be creating new problems? Maybe directly to the battery? I thought I'd enlist aid here rather then setting my bike on fire.
Thanks for any responses.

Overload?

My electric vest won't run off the BMW socket. I go directly to the pigtail I use to charge the battery. 2011 RT.

I like simple, just wire your heated clothing directly to the battery. There will be no fire. I have an older Widder vest with arm chaps and have it wired direct, Ive run this configuration for 15 years with no problems.

I like simple, just wire your heated clothing directly to the battery. There will be no fire. I have an older Widder vest with arm chaps and have it wired direct, Ive run this configuration for 15 years with no problems.

With an in-line fuse I hope.:scratch

Powering heated clothing

Wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse rated for 20-30amps. No more problems. Why the hell BMW set their accessory plugs up for so few amps is anybody's guess.
Best,

3hawks

Wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse rated for 20-30amps. No more problems. Why the hell BMW set their accessory plugs up for so few amps is anybody's guess.
Best,

3hawks

You can buy a compatible electric vest from your BMW dealer.

Back