• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Supporting My Local BMW Dealers

Cut the dealers some slack on pricing. They have to support more overhead and meet higher standards of service, as well as standards on the physical location itself, than the typical independent shop. That all costs money and it has to come from somewhere. And the private shop does not have to have fully trained personnel, meet stocking obligations, pay franchise fees, etc.
I concur with the post that developing a relationship with a good dealer is a smart thing to do.

The current dealership / distributor relationship does seem to be unhealthy. In addition, I'm not sure that subsidizing the dealership to absorb the distributor's demands is a long term solution.

Seems you only have three choices

I try to support the dealer where I bought my bike, but sometimes I think I'm being taken advantage of, at least to some degree.

A specific example I can discuss is with tire replacement. I had two Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's put on the bike last spring and was charged (with taxes) $800 by my dealer. Looking at the invoice, it seemed to me that the dealer had marked up the two tires by a total of around $150 over what I would pay for the tires if I bought them elsewhere.

I need tires again now, so I contacted all of the BMW dealers in the area (I'm lucky enough to have access to 5!) to get quotes and they all came in in the same ball park (+/- $75).

But, I've now found a non-BMW service shop with a great reputation, who have a BMW certified master mechanic, and they are doing them for me for $600. I spoke to the guy at the non BMW shop and he knows his stuff.

Am I expected to pay a $200 surcharge to support my dealer?

I have a similar issue with some of the basic service visits (oil changes with a few other simple tasks) seem to run $300 or more. I'm still going to the dealer for those because the bike is still under warranty, but I'm strongly leaning to going with non-dealer servicing once the warranty is up - at least for the things I would consider simple.

What do you guys think?

1. Use a BMW dealer and pay the price. I do agree they charge much even for the simple work. Most dealers I have come across are good guys though. I was up in Mt. a few years ago on a '04 1150rs I had just purchased and needed to change the oil. The dealer there in Missoula wanted an arm and a leg for the oil and work. I told him I would have to pass that I was on a budget at the time. He told me no problem, I will let you use my oil pan and you can change it in the parking lot, which I thanked him and I did.

2. Take your bike to a non-bmw mechanic that you trust or has been referred to you by someone you trust. There are lots of good mechanics out there who can work on bmw's and charge less as they have less overhead. They will probably even encourage you to get the parts which will save you some dough.

3. Learn to do the work yourself. I have only owned three bikes younger than a 1980 bmw and when I realized that I could not work on them; I sold em. None of my older bikes I have owned have been to a dealer in over 30 years. And yes my bike runs fine and I ride as often as I feel like it.

I'm happy, I think...

Yesterday, I had the 6K service done on my 2016 RS and was pleasantly surprised at the moderate cost. However, at closer inspection, the costs have been constrained by changing the service intervals. Valve checks and final drive lube changes are now 12K items and the transmission lube change went away with the wet-clutch. Perhaps, it's a new world where final drive failures have been cured and the spline shaft lube designed away.

Dealer Inflated Prices

I try to support the dealer where I bought my bike, but sometimes I think I'm being taken advantage of, at least to some degree.

A specific example I can discuss is with tire replacement. I had two Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's put on the bike last spring and was charged (with taxes) $800 by my dealer. Looking at the invoice, it seemed to me that the dealer had marked up the two tires by a total of around $150 over what I would pay for the tires if I bought them elsewhere.

I need tires again now, so I contacted all of the BMW dealers in the area (I'm lucky enough to have access to 5!) to get quotes and they all came in in the same ball park (+/- $75).

But, I've now found a non-BMW service shop with a great reputation, who have a BMW certified master mechanic, and they are doing them for me for $600. I spoke to the guy at the non BMW shop and he knows his stuff.

Am I expected to pay a $200 surcharge to support my dealer?

I have a similar issue with some of the basic service visits (oil changes with a few other simple tasks) seem to run $300 or more. I'm still going to the dealer for those because the bike is still under warranty, but I'm strongly leaning to going with non-dealer servicing once the warranty is up - at least for the things I would consider simple.

What do you guys think?

Hi, Bob. Yeah, this is always a difficult question. I brought it up to the BMW service manager where I have our BMWs serviced and he actually agreed that most prices are over-inflated. He also said that, at 100$ USD per hour, labor is very high at BMW dealers. (The Republic of) Southern California is within a day's ride from where we are, and there's a multi-brand shop there that I'm going to try for some things where special BMW tools or techniques aren't necessary. For example, if I were to have a transmission rebuilt, I'd go to BMW, but for tire changes, pressure sensor replacements, oil changes that I don't want to do myself (I do most of them myself - see below), and other like items, I'm going to try out this multi-brand shop. I'll post the name and contact info after I verify it.

We as BMW riders and customers should have the option to make smart choices for service work. BMW realizes this and complies with US law, where an owner can perform in-warranty maintenance if the owner documents the process with receipts and a logbook. BMW will honor that work as if performed by a certified BMW dealer without voiding the warranty. Check with your BMW service manager for details.

Why do I perform oil changes myself when I have time? Most mechanics, even the good ones, usually over-tighten the oil drain bolt (T=41 nm on a GSAw) so that King Kong, on his very best day, couldn't remove it. That's why I like to do oil and filter changes myself. I use a torque wrench and do it right, and I save 175USD on labor in the process. Air filter replacement is another simple job we as riders can do ourselves instead of paying huge labor costs just to loosen and tighten some screws.

In summary, I'd suggest finding a reliable shop that can perform the low-level maintenance items, and then take your machine to BMW for things that are more complex or critical. If BMW really wants us to spend our money at their dealer service centers, they'll lower prices to compete with the independents to attract our business. But I'm sure I won't see that happen in my lifetime.

Ride on!
-Wolfgang #200025
therideistheway@gmail.com

It's All About Trust and Value

Because it's a repair to a BMW motorcycle that is being performed at a BMW motorcycle dealership? Besides the wheel itself, the job often involves removal of exhaust, brake and bodywork components. There's a correct procedure, including tightening torques. If you have no expectation that the tire guy should know this stuff, there's no reason to go to a dealership.

Also, the cost difference within the dealership (or any shop) between having a top-level guy do it or having a helper do it isn't that great. The hourly rate reflects the cost of having the whole facility there in the first place: people, insurance, equipment, real estate, etc.
-----
Anton, I agree with your observations. For us, it's always about finding trust, knowledge, and skills as a combined value package that we are willing to pay for. Everyone has strengths, things they're good at. My wife and I aren't very skilled mechanically so we look for the Big Three, Trust, Knowledge, and Skills at fair - not bargain-basement! - prices. We want to pay fair or sometimes slightly elevated prices to service providers who have those qualities so they can prosper and stay in business for a long time. We also believe in tipping the technicians who are competent and perform well. This is the type of customer loyalty we show for great service providers. If, on the other hand, the service is bad for any reason, we discuss the problem at the technician and service manager levels once and only once. If it happens again, we find another service provider.

Obviously not everyone likes or wants the extra expenses of doing business this way, but but we can do it at this time in our lives, so that's how we roll. And it solves the inconvenience, pain, and delays our mechanical incompetence causes, keeping us on the road (oorah!!) instead of under the machines. The results are a win-win for everyone involved.

By the way, I change the oil and filter, air filter, and rear end gear oil on our motors myself. I do this like a calming meditation and much sooner than recommended. When our engines are (rarely) rebuilt or inspected, they look perfect even with 200K+ miles!

your money your choice

This is absolutely an apples vs mangos argument. The vast bulk of the costs you cite are for the tires and have nothing whatsoever to do with how much the shop pays the technicians that work there. I understand frustration with the costs some (but not all) shops charge for tires. The issue I mentioned which you seem to take umbrage with is - low technician wages vs complaints about service costs. The price of tires is not at all what I was talking about.

After reading a great deal of this thread I am not surprised it can tend to wander. Paul's right when it come s to the price of tires vs what it takes to run a shop.

Case in Point: My local dealer is a small shop that is one of the best motorcycle shops I've found. It is a local one owner shop here in NW Arkansas. When I ran into a similar issue as the Original Poster (OP) I asked about the high tire pricing. They were high! The owner was very straight forward - he just can't buy tires in bulk to get the discount. He has to go through a distributor bc his shop's not big enough for a trailer load of tires. I appreciate his candor. But he will mount a tire for me if I were to show up at his door with a flat on my rim.

As for areas where they excel - for mechanical work there is no one I trust more. The owners knowledge, experience and shop training are all excellent. When I watch how quickly and effortlessly he dissembles my R1100RT or '14 1200 I am reminded that practice makes permanent and familiarity of working on bikes day after day instill a knowledge most of us don't have time to possess. I read so often about people struggling to get there bikes apart and back together. With these guys it's second nature. And for that I will gladly pay.

Yes, I have No Mar for tires, change my own oils, etc but that's about all I want to do on the newer bikes. My time is consumed by work and I want to ride whenever I can. After flying all over the country the last thing I want to do is to come home and spend my free time pulling apart a bike and putting it back together (even if I were as skilled as some of the demigods on this forum!).

Get to know your dealer, your mechanics, and the staff (not just the sales guy). Bring them donuts (top cases help). See if you can watch them work. Heck, once when short handed the owner was replacing the HES on my '01 RT and a parts order had landed at the BMW auto shop nearby. I asked him not to leave my bike and that I'd take the shop truck to fetch it. "Key's are by the door" was his response. We spent the rest of the morning talking about old Texas swing music and laughing. It's my experience that dealers are great. This one is exceptoinal. Perhaps it's my area of the country, perhaps it's an easy going style. Either way - I'll support them and appreciate them whenever I am able.
:)
CW

Back