• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Held Gear Boots: Conan. Toe damage from shifter

jpl77

Recently bought Held Conan boots. As you can see they are getting ruined really fast. Not sure of how many kilometres on them, maybe 2000.

This post is 2 fold. Anyone have success getting your dealer to warranty replace or did you have to escalate it directly to Held?

Secondly, anyone else experience such wear on any boots? I'm riding a GSA with shift assist pro.... Can't think that is contributing to the issue.

e7937faffe856fc6615ad5947a615d1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Clearly, there's something wrong, if that pad is worn like that after 2,000 kms. I'd run on back to the dealer who sold them to you. I got a '15 GSA with shift-assist in November 2015, and it's got 13,000 miles on it. I bought a new pair of TCX boots last spring, and there's no visible damage whatsoever on my left boot.

I would definitely be taking those boots back to the dealer for repair or replacement. That reinforced section really doesn't look very reinforced to me.

For reference, I've included a photo of my left Daytona Road Star GTX boot with about 50,000 miles on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 709
Dealer told me to bring my boots in and they will ship them out for repair. Problem is that I'm riding for the whole entire week. No estimate on repair time

Dealer told me to bring my boots in and they will ship them out for repair. Problem is that I'm riding for the whole entire week. No estimate on repair time

Time to dig out the old boots to use while the newer ones go to the body shop.

Last edited:
Dealer replaced the boots with a brand new pair!

Funny enough he used the new pair in a magazine photo shoot....

Shifter Knob Damage to Boots

I bought my 2002 R1150RS a few months ago. After around 1k miles, I noticed my boots have been damaged by the metal shifter knob. These boots have been through several bikes with no damage. I like the knob appearance but of course, not the damage. The knob looks like an add-on extension by one of the 3 previous owners. See pics. I've tried unsuccessfully to remove the extension to replace with stock rubber knob. It might have inside barbs holding it on. It looks like some dremal destructive surgery might help. I have not seen any Boot Protectors I thought would be effective and durable. Anyone have this shifter extension? From the pix, is this the stock shifter assembly? Anyone suffering the same damage? Anyone have a solution?
TIA Brad

IMG_4599.jpg
IMG_4598.jpg

That’s a shift lever extension, they were sold by many of the aftermarket companies. Paul’s suggestion of looking for a set screw is on point. As an alternative, adding a sleeve of heat shrink tubing covering the extension will take some of the “bite” out of the knurling.

Best,
DeVern

Heat Shrink! That's it!

That’s a shift lever extension, they were sold by many of the aftermarket companies. Paul’s suggestion of looking for a set screw is on point. As an alternative, adding a sleeve of heat shrink tubing covering the extension will take some of the “bite” out of the knurling.

Best,
DeVern

No set screw. I'm guessing barbed inside that's on to stay... Heat shrink over the outside should do the trick! I will give it a try and report back.
Thank you!
/r
B:dance

No set screw. I'm guessing barbed inside that's on to stay... Heat shrink over the outside should do the trick! I will give it a try and report back.
Thank you!
/r
B:dance

If you want something more durable, I would think the right diameter of rubber hose, cut to fit and heated in hot water before sliding it on, would work well.

If you want something more durable, I would think the right diameter of rubber hose, cut to fit and heated in hot water before sliding it on, would work well.

👍

On my shifters I cut a clear piece of plastic hose that fit snug. As mentioned above , soak it in hot water or spraying the shifter (or the inside of the hose) with hair spray, either way it will easily slide on.

https://altaigear.com/shop/tactical-boots/altai-8-waterproof-tan-boots-model-mfm100/

Been wearing a pair of these [ have another pair in brown ] for 3 years on two motors. Fully waterproof as evidenced by 5 hours of torrential wind driven rain in Wyoming and elsewhere in that time.

Boot is scuffed but very little due to shifter. The tan pair show black on the left toe from the rubber on the shifter. I've bought my last pair of "motorcycle" riding boots years ago.

Rode with two guys from other parts of the US who bought high dollar "waterproof motorcycle boots" to Alaska. Both of their new pairs of high dollar riding boots leaked. The Altai's hold up well, and the best part is they are as light as a pair of sneakers

👍

On my shifters I cut a clear piece of plastic hose that fit snug. As mentioned above , soak it in hot water or spraying the shifter (or the inside of the hose) with hair spray, either way it will easily slide on.

Thank you for another great alternative!
/r
B

My solution

So I found a source for the 7/8" ID clear plastic tubing. I cut a length, softened it in a cup of hot water, and slipped it on. Here's a link to the tube:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCRTS8V7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

BTW, her's a link to some good black leather dressing to tend to the "boot wound":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0003A1Y8E/?coliid=I21GN1CRFWZARR&colid=1DOU1WYI2F0H2&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

and lastly a couple pix of the fix:

IMG_4603.jpg
IMG_4604.jpg

Works for me! Thank you for your suggestions!
/r
B

Back