• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canada expected to legalize pot by 2018

I cannot believe a whole country is going to "go to pot". I suppose we are just right behind, based upon the pooh pooh of "GATEWAY" or addiction causing behaviors. We see that attitude here by the folks who say, "it's OK" "It doesn't really happen to me, so how could anybody else a problem" Why folks can come to my place, drink a beer or two and be just fine. Then we share a bottle of wine at supper and they can still function, walk and talk so you would never notice they are drinking and drunk. Then after supper we share another drink or two and send them on their way. Everybody is able to function and I don't see what the problem is. Then we will do the same tomorrow night"........Who is addicted???................

I truly hope the folks who can drink a beer or two and NOT HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER OR MORE, can even begin to understand that there are folks out there in the beer garden that CANT STOP. They will be there again tomorrow and the next and the next. We all know them. Now....open the door to your children to have the same behavior, because it is hereditary, except they choose to begin with pot.

Oh boy Dennis on another rant. I ignored this thread for a very long time as I didn't want to hear the snowflake attitude of the nay sayers about another topic they know very little about. Then it turned political and I am surprised that the MODS condoned it. We cant even use the word 12 guage or .223 without banishment or heaven forbid we mention God..............But oh yes, lets make sure we get folks drunk at the rallies and yes, let's promote a whole country getting stoned.

Yes, I kinda know what I am talking about here...........Thirty years of use and abuse of pretty much every drug one can abuse and with the addiction related to that use. Oh, yes, with "drugs" I started with marijuana thinking it was more cool than alcohol, went to the psychedelics and pot, then on and on............When pot became hard to get I switched over to alcohol AS MY DRUG OF CHOICE. By the GRACE OF GOD, I have been straight and sober for going on 20 years on the 8th of July. Yes, I thank the folks in AA and guys and gals like MIKE who gladly tell their story and are proud of their sobriety and are trying to help those that are addicted........So, it's just one day at a time, Mike, and keep on coming back.............God bless.....Dennis

Keep shooting straight Dennis. You never know when the truth will set someone free like it did us. I look forward to you reaching another 20!

The main reason I have not attended a rally yet is the close association there seems to be with partying. Had enough of that to last me many life times and can't justify the risk/reward yet. Maybe some day but I am in no rush to test myself yet.

I'll wager there are many other Friends of Bill that attend the rally. An effort to set up a camping and social environment made up of likeminded people just might be very popular.

I'll wager there are many other Friends of Bill that attend the rally. An effort to set up a camping and social environment made up of likeminded people just might be very popular.

IIRC, there has been a daily morning meeting of the Friends of Bill at every national I've attended. I'm pretty sure, each national has a Friend of Bill coordinator that handles the necessary planning.

Keep shooting straight Dennis. You never know when the truth will set someone free like it did us. I look forward to you reaching another 20!

The main reason I have not attended a rally yet is the close association there seems to be with partying. Had enough of that to last me many life times and can't justify the risk/reward yet. Maybe some day but I am in no rush to test myself yet.

There are a lot of cool things that happen at a BMW rally that make going worthwhile, and does not involve alcohol.

That being said, I also think attendance would be cut in half if you held one without a 'beer tent.' The drinking culture is alive and well within the MOA. I don't demonize them for it, but I don't sugar-coat that reality or pretend it doesn't exist either. :lurk

There are a lot of cool things that happen at a BMW rally that make going worthwhile, and does not involve alcohol.

That being said, I also think attendance would be cut in half if you held one without a 'beer tent.' The drinking culture is alive and well within the MOA. I don't demonize them for it, but I don't sugar-coat that reality or pretend it doesn't exist either. :lurk

After the vendors close around 5P, there's the music, the beer tent or chatting with your neighbors. The same choices you're faced with at home. IMHO, the MOA drinking culture pales in comparison to that of most small towns. In those places, you can find farm tractors, lawn mowers and bicycles parked behind the bar/club.

Surely NOT to suggest that beer sales be suspended nor diminished. Thanks KEVIN, the Colonel, for thinking about that as an alternative and it is a good one for the population that probably would not attend. Yes, Kevin, LEO and reality chief, there is no way that the powers that be are going to lose the funds or stand the uproar from the folks that NEED that beer in order to cheer............

THIS IS ABOUT A NATION GOING TO POT......and is the "club" just an example of how strong that majority of folks that need and must have that extra bit of fog on their brain to face reality?

I truly appreciate the thoughts; but Mike has pointed out a very valid point. An addict cannot be around that culture, the product itself, or the folks that participate in that particular drug of choice. It just makes you crave it all the more and realize how much you miss it. Having gone to the all but the FIRST BMWMOA Natnl. for 14 years and then in and out for a few and then none for the last 20 years, I really don't know how many folks actually go to "The Friends of Bill W." meetings at the Ntnl; but I question the actual number that attend....................

So, is this organization, just a miniature of the Canadian problem, scenario, future? Just to be come a miniature Colorado?...........lol....Sure glad I have my mountain, mules, and life here. Come visit........God bless these United States.........Dennis

Surely NOT to suggest that beer sales be suspended nor diminished. Thanks KEVIN, the Colonel, for thinking about that as an alternative and it is a good one for the population that probably would not attend. Yes, Kevin, LEO and reality chief, there is no way that the powers that be are going to lose the funds or stand the uproar from the folks that NEED that beer in order to cheer............

THIS IS ABOUT A NATION GOING TO POT......and is the "club" just an example of how strong that majority of folks that need and must have that extra bit of fog on their brain to face reality?

I truly appreciate the thoughts; but Mike has pointed out a very valid point. An addict cannot be around that culture, the product itself, or the folks that participate in that particular drug of choice. It just makes you crave it all the more and realize how much you miss it. Having gone to the all but the FIRST BMWMOA Natnl. for 14 years and then in and out for a few and then none for the last 20 years, I really don't know how many folks actually go to "The Friends of Bill W." meetings at the Ntnl; but I question the actual number that attend....................

So, is this organization, just a miniature of the Canadian problem, scenario, future? Just to be come a miniature Colorado?...........lol....Sure glad I have my mountain, mules, and life here. Come visit........God bless these United States.........Dennis

I'm pretty sure the Canadians can handle their own country. Since 1867 they've been doing pretty well. Lower crime rate, similar standard of living, greater longevity, more hospital beds per capita, etc. It's doubtful that they're awaiting guidance from south of the border.

Back