• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R100 1991 'classic' instrument cluster repair

lugercarbine

I had to take out my instrument cluster to do a repair, go to put it together with the flat head 3mm screws and find out the plastic posts in the main unit that hold the screws have cracked/broke and will not hold the screws. In looking around, I see housings with brass inserts for the screws to screw into. Can anyone provide information as to where I might purchase the inserts and the correct size - any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Any chance you have some pictures to help us see the issues?

Picture of case

Hopefully this worked out, picture is not mine but a pic found on net showing the brass inserts

Attachments

• File Mar 28, 7 40 05 PM.jpg
    File Mar 28, 7 40 05 PM.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 136
OK, I see some of the brass/plastic parts that are cracked. I thought I remember hearing about someone having the shells of the instrument pods available for sale, but I can't remember where. Here are my thoughts:

- using something like JBWeld to fix the cracking, thus holding in the brass inserts. Would have to figure out how to compress the plastic somewhat or work the JBWeld to act as a glue to hold it all together.

- there are salvage yards...check the link in my signature line. Airhead Salvage comes to mind; also Re-Psycle

- there are speedometer repair shops. Either they could fix this or they might have hulks they could sell. Terry Vrla is a small one-man shop...he might be have some ideas. I suspect these places might have some long turnaround times if you were asking them to fix it.

If it's the white "pillars" with the brass inserts........The ones in the picture show some cracking as well. Depending on the condition of the plastic, looks like it has age-hardened and become brittle, I've used a couple of methods.
Hobbyshops have thin brass tubing that I have threaded (tapped) to the necessary size to be remounted. The brass inserts usually are "ribbed" so when they are pressed in they don't spin- removing can be accomplished with piece of rod threaded (die) to fit and then heated hot, screwed in to transfer heat and then the insert removed.
Once the insert is removed, the threaded tube can be inserted and test fit. I like West System G-Flex epoxy to hold the tube in place but have heated the tube and "stuck" it in the semi-molten/softened plastic.
It's really painstaking work. Depending on how many are bad, perhaps a used unit in better shape could be had.
OM

Another option is to purchase a replica instrument housing. Can't remember exactly who's making them, but Motobins is selling them. FYI, BMW's replacement housings they had up until about ±5 years ago did not have the brass inserts. The screws were not machine screws, but self tapping ones. It's important to grease the screws in this case. I do not know whether or not the replica housings have the brass inserts or not. It's a little pricey at 130 pounds or ±$161 per the Google conversion at the time I'm writing this.

https://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R Series 2 valve Twin&bikeref=R90-6

Cracked

I recently purchased a replacement housing from MAX BMW.
My old original housing had cracked with age and repeated bulb changes. I tried super gluing things back together as well as plastic modeling glue and filler. Finally gave up and ordered the new housing.
The price for the part was about $250 or there about. There are a bunch of BMW parts places selling them now.
Oh yes, I put in a Kat Dash LED housing to replace the instrument bulbs. I hope not to have to take it apart for a long time now.
When and if I have to take it apart, I will just have to remember to be gentle with tightening down the screws.
For a bike with 170000 miles it looks like a brand new instrument cluster again. St.

The housing on my 81 also has the cracks on the insert posts. Must be a common problem.

I had to take out my instrument cluster to do a repair, go to put it together with the flat head 3mm screws and find out the plastic posts in the main unit that hold the screws have cracked/broke and will not hold the screws. In looking around, I see housings with brass inserts for the screws to screw into. Can anyone provide information as to where I might purchase the inserts and the correct size - any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi there, "Lugercarbine" I'm compiling an informal database of R100 Classic owners (the Monoshock version from 1991-92). Do you still have yours? if so, what are the last 3 digits of the Chassis number?

Back