• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

pulling the swingarm "fit bush"...12RT

wyman.winn

i should be out riding!
good morning!

over the weekend i had the pleasure of doing a major service to a buddies 12RT....full monte service, tires, brake flush, alt belt, all lubricants, TB sync, valve check/adjust, replaced headlight bulb AND he wanted me to lube the driveshaft splines, fore and aft...no problem i say, easy peasy....

so i set about to remove everything needed to gain access to the swingarm, special tools at hand...remove the FD, foot peg mounts and shock bolt...."ah" i say need to get that bushing out of the swingarm to free the shock bottom....a little heat to release what i think was excessive thread locker (the bolt came out with minor resistance)...nope, the bush (33172338103) would not budge...."hmmmm" i say...i'll just get my handy bearing puller out and be in business in a couple of strokes of the slide hammer....nope, no go....then i try a big boy easy out to 'turn it out'...still no go....i tried every trick in the book to get that bugger out....finally gave in and put the parts back together in defeat....

so, admitting defeat is not in my general make-up and using all of my experience to beat being defeated...i failed....:banghead

my next plan of attack is to thread the bushing with probably a 1/2-13 tap and use a slide hammer to pull it out....i have ordered another from Max for replacement...:thumb

i don't understand the need to "lock" this bushing in place....sloppy assembly i guess...

opinions on my plan of attack would be greatly appreciated...

wyman, NOT accepting defeat gracefully....:dunno

If like my 2011 RT, the bushing does not have to be removed to remove the rear shock. I just pulled the rear shock on my RT 3 weeks ago.

If like my 2011 RT, the bushing does not have to be removed to remove the rear shock. I just pulled the rear shock on my RT 3 weeks ago.

that is way it was on my 13RT...but the shock would not move on this 12RT....go figure...:banghead

that is way it was on my 13RT...but the shock would not move on this 12RT....go figure...:banghead
When I did mine, all i was doing was removing the shock so I still had the final drive attached to the swingarm. I had a jack under the final drive to support it. Upper shock mount bolt still attached. I lowered the jack a few inches and pressed down on the final drive and it moved down freeing the lower shock mount.

Back