• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alternatives to the AF-Xied device?

I'm considering making some improvements to my 96 R1100RT as opposed to replacing it with a newer machine. One thing would be a "chip" or device to smooth it out by changing the fuel/air ratio. I gather the AF-Xied device will do it, but for $200 it seems a bit steep. Is there anything else out there that will work for this particular job?

I'm considering making some improvements to my 96 R1100RT as opposed to replacing it with a newer machine...

I've made the same decision relative to my R1200ST. I'm going to get the AF-Xied with a view to smoothing out the abrupt low rpm throttle response. The $500 cost is a lot less than the $15,000 differential for a new RS. I even have a buyer lined up for my bike, but it's too good to let go.

Thanks for the links, Kurt.

If you have some electronics and software experience you could use an Innovate Motorsports LC-2, which will do the same thing, but it is more of a science project.

Rinty,

$500?? Does your bike require two of them??

Beamer Boneyard has them for a few $ less than Nighrider. They may have a small discount for members of some forums, too.

I just got one at BBY for a 98 RT for $207.90 delivered.

The AF-XiED made such an improvement in my R11S that I ordered and received the RT AF-XiED before I picked up the bike. The R11S is SO much smoother AND quieter, runs cooler, not cold natured anymore, NO stalling, much easier low RPM and low speed handling, much better roll-on power and response. It runs like it is supposed to run.

Rinty,...$500?? Does your bike require two of them??

That was just a budget number I had in my head. But by the time I buy U.S. funds with Canadian Skinnybucks, pay Her Majesty's Revenuers and the rapacious courier service, it'll be over $300. But I'll see if they have a member discount, and maybe Mike will just mail it.

Thanks for the tip.

That was just a budget number I had in my head. But by the time I buy U.S. funds with Canadian Skinnybucks, pay Her Majesty's Revenuers and the rapacious courier service, it'll be over $300. But I'll see if they have a member discount, and maybe Mike will just mail it.

Thanks for the tip.

Remember, there is no duty on motorcycle parts made in the USA. I get tonnes of stuff through the mail (after getting hosed by UPS more than once) and in the last 10 years have only had to pay sales taxes once. Beemer Boneyard does send stuff through the mail (that's how I got my AX-FiED) and affords MOA members a 10% discount of which I have taken advantage in the past.

I went back and read quite a few of the posts that Roger noted that dealt with the AF-Xied device. I didn't realize that he had actually designed it. I couldn't find anyone who didn't love it. The alternatives appear to be just about the same cost, and are both harder to install, and beyond what I feel comfortable working with. I thought that Beemer Boneyard did a 10% discount for MOA members. I'm going to go ahead and order one. Maybe it will make the 1100 almost as smooth running as my old R60/7. That would be nice.

Remember, there is no duty on motorcycle parts made in the USA. I get tonnes of stuff through the mail (after getting hosed by UPS more than once) and in the last 10 years have only had to pay sales taxes once. Beemer Boneyard does send stuff through the mail (that's how I got my AX-FiED) and affords MOA members a 10% discount of which I have taken advantage in the past.

Thanks!

I went back and read quite a few of the posts that Roger noted that dealt with the AF-Xied device. I didn't realize that he had actually designed it. I couldn't find anyone who didn't love it. The alternatives appear to be just about the same cost, and are both harder to install, and beyond what I feel comfortable working with. I thought that Beemer Boneyard did a 10% discount for MOA members. I'm going to go ahead and order one. Maybe it will make the 1100 almost as smooth running as my old R60/7. That would be nice.

JC, One thing to remember for af-XIED on the R1100r/rt/gs is that they don't come with OEM connectors (Nightrider wasn't able to find a reliable supply). As a result you have to make a few connections to the O2 sensor cable using positap connections.

Another thing to consider is that your O2 sensor may be 20 years old and due for a replacement. RB

Last edited:
Another performance upgrade that has caught my interest are the Tills Fuel Injectors ...

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?87175-Fuel-injector-upgrade-R1100-wow-just-wow!

http://www.jt-c.com/product_info.php?info=p47_r1100xx-injector

I haven't done any of these, but I think I'd do the AF-Xied first then evaluate. If you're good with where you're at, stop there. If you'd like to push it a little more, consider trying this ...

The 1200GS injector in conjunction with an AFxIED is a great Oilhead mod. I've been running both on my 1150 and would never go back.
Putting matched 1200 injectors in an 1100 holds even more dramatic results.
Read many pages of testimonials here:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1200gs-injectors-in-the-1100gs-and-1150gs-vrooom.1181054/

Putting another set in a clients bike next month.

Another performance upgrade that has caught my interest are the Tills Fuel Injectors ...

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?87175-Fuel-injector-upgrade-R1100-wow-just-wow!

http://www.jt-c.com/product_info.php?info=p47_r1100xx-injector

I haven't done any of these, but I think I'd do the AF-Xied first then evaluate. If you're good with where you're at, stop there. If you'd like to push it a little more, consider trying this ...

That was my thread...lol.
I put a few thousand miles on big blue with the r1200 injector and af-xied module... Completely transformed the bike, smoother, quicker...Even more fun to ride. Worth every penny.
Unfortunately, I cant update more as my riding season was cut short due to want I believe is a bad HES...Going to get that replaced/fixed shortly...going to reset the timing when I install the HES...see how much better big blue runs with the injectors, af-xied and a little advanced timing.

I'm considering making some improvements to my 96 R1100RT as opposed to replacing it with a newer machine. One thing would be a "chip" or device to smooth it out by changing the fuel/air ratio. I gather the AF-Xied device will do it, but for $200 it seems a bit steep. Is there anything else out there that will work for this particular job?

Having owned both a '96 and currently a '00 1100RT I can save you some time and a LOT of effort. Both were terrible surgers and I mean TERRIBLE. I did every mod out there and several after market air temp spoofers. Some of these fixes made incremental improvement like fussing over the valve adjustments till perfect but none of them solved the problem. All the air temp spoofers, IICE Air, Booster Plug and a few others who I can't even remember they were so useless may have worked for a brief time but the ECU simply learned out the improvements and both bikes just went back to surging.

With the Innovate Motorsports LC-1 (now LC-2) I was finally able to get my '00 to quit surging but not completely. This device is the basis of the AF-XIED which does exactly the same thing but without data logging or the requirement for a wide band O2 sensor. I also optimized it to use both output channels; one for low speed through a small town with lots of stop lights type of cruising and another leaner setting for highway cruising to increase mileage. This has worked pretty well.

After researching the Tills.de matched injectors and seeing the amazing difference on GSAddict's 1150 bike (who I know well and trust implicitly) I decided to take the plunge and get a set for my RT. Note that the 1100 has only single pintle spray nozzle. Very old tech! The 1150 injectors were superior and the 1200 ones are far superior in terms of spray pattern and open/close speed.

I have not been able to test my Tills injectors yet due to weather up here and a few other issues but they are going on right quick now that I am able to ride again and the weather is finally improving. The testimpnials over on ADV Rider are more than compelling and I am confident this upgrade will finally get me the 1100RT I've been wanting.

Now I am a bit confused. I was all set to get the AF-Xied unit, but reading the posts I'm wondering if I should replace the injectors with the 1200 models instead. The bike doesn't surge, or not enough to be annoying. But it certainly seems to run smoother when it is started and cold. I assume that is because it is running richer. I am also not clear about the programing on the AF-Xied unit. I was under the impression that after a few tanks of gas it would permanently adjust the air/fuel ratio. Is that incorrect? Does the system learn it is being fooled and self correct back to the leaner mix, basically negating the unit? That wouldn't seem to make much sense. The smoother running is really the goal for me, rather than the surging.

Added note: I clicked on the link for the injectors. They appear to be around $210, I am assuming that is for each injector. And it seems like they were added after people already had the AF unit in place. If I have to choose between the two upgrades, any suggestions?

You should definitely go with the af-XIED, its fuel enhancement is permanent. Because the O2 is the control element for the Motronic, it is always trusted and its affect cannot be unlearned. By shifting the mixture toward best power mixture, you get a stronger engine.

When you change to the R1200 injectors, you may get these benefits-

--possibly better starting on cold mornings because the fuel is atomized more finely

--initially a richer mixture, which you will feel, but like the boosterplug the effect is negated by Closed Loop mixture adaptation.

--a smoother engine if you run lean because the injectors are matched. But the richer you run, the less important that is. You will need to keep them clean, just as with any injector they become mismatched over time.

The boosterplug and iiceair had glowing reports, especially on advrider. Testimonials are good but you need to check the science to know the likelihood of real benefit. In the case of matched injectors, they're a benefit but the benefit is more pronounced the leaner you run.

The last factor you should consider is that the R1200 injectors, used on all R1200 bikes ;), with the dual O2 sensors (which helps match AFR) and dual-spark-plugs (which help the mixture burn evenly), still complain of flat spots caused by anemic mixtures. According to Nightrider, R1200 bikes are the largest market for its AF-XIED lambda-shifters.

Last edited:
After talking to GS Addict last night and Krash this morning I'm in. While the new matched injectors from Till.de have had a dramatic improvement on my bike I'm convinced that there's more to be had so I've put it in the cart on BB along with some new front pads. Now I'll just wait patiently until the first week in May when I'll pick it up.

I just installed the I-R injectors and an af-XIED on my high-mile RTP and am also waiting out the weather and the road sweeper crews. Looks like April 10 will be the magic date.

While it would have been nice to try the upgrades separately, it wasn't practical in this case. Several differences were noted: the engine's idle was much smoother from cold up to operating temperature; idle RPM at five bars was up approx. 200 RPM requiring resetting of the BBSs and a slight tweak of the balance using the Harmonizer; and lastly, the engine 'seems' to have much better off-idle snap on the throttle. Money well spent, methinks.

I'm looking forward to this riding season! :D

Hey, JConway607,

I installed the matched injectors (R1200, EV14 injectors) when I installed the AF-XiED on my R11S. The OEM injectors were Bosch EV4, 4 hole type injectors. I believe yours are the EV2 single hole type so the differences would be greater with your bike were you to upgrade.

MATCHED FUEL injectors are critical for a two cylinder engine, but only if you want it to run smoothly. We spend a lot of time, effort, discussion on how to adjust and balance the throttle bodies, but that is only adjusting/balancing the AIR.

There is an alternative source for these EV14 injectors in New Jersey: Injector-Rehab http://injector-rehab.com/shop/home.php The owner, Keith Gibbons, is very helpful, does injectors for race cars and boats, has some great stories about O/C owners of race cars flying in with their injectors to personally watch their injectors being tested.

These are matched (flow tested at all flow rates, test report provided) "refurbished" injectors. The pair I received looked brand new, no detectable signs of prior use. A year ago they were $139 plus $9.70 postage, with adapters, O-rings, and extra O-rings. Mine arrived in just a couple of days. It's a 10 min job to swap out both injectors, no need to remove any tupperware on mine.

There is a good discussion of all this with pictures at http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=980634&page=1

Back