• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alternatives to the AF-Xied device?

I just installed the I-R injectors and an af-XIED on my high-mile RTP and am also waiting out the weather and the road sweeper crews. Looks like April 10 will be the magic date.

While it would have been nice to try the upgrades separately, it wasn't practical in this case. Several differences were noted: the engine's idle was much smoother from cold up to operating temperature; idle RPM at five bars was up approx. 200 RPM requiring resetting of the BBSs and a slight tweak of the balance using the Harmonizer; and lastly, the engine 'seems' to have much better off-idle snap on the throttle. Money well spent, methinks.

I'm looking forward to this riding season! :D

Yeah where are those road sweepers this year? The roads in Vancouver are full of road salt and sand still. The nearest shortcut alley near my house looks like Kits beach!

Just installed an AF-XiED on my dual plug R1100S

Well, I should say it was installed by a very experienced forum member.

The install was very simple and straightforward and something I could have done myself but my preference is that when experts are present, I use their services. :thumb
The device is preset at "7" and we left it there. Also, I wasn't experiencing any severe surging but was just looking to make the bike the best that it can be.

I've only ridden about 250 km since the install but here is what I've noticed thus far....

1. Throttle pick-up from idle seems to be improving.
2. I can roll on from 3,000 rpm in 6th with no hesitation. Bike is happy to troll along at 2,500 in 6th (not that I'd make a habit of it).
2. Idle is dead steady now. No slight / occasional misfires as I had before.
3. Fuel mileage (kilometerage?) seems to have suffered very slightly but at this early juncture its hard to be certain. If I am seeing more fuel usage, I may try dialing the adjuster back to "6" after another tank of fuel.

Bottom line: A worthy investment

I'll be reporting back as I rack up some distance in the next week or so.

Last edited:
If you were running premium before are you now using regular (89)?

Nope. The S has a higher compression ratio than other 1100s plus I'm not a fan of ethanol. Shell 91 is ethanol-free and that's what I'm using. I might try 89 just for the heck of it but I'm happy to pay the extra for pure gas.

Last edited:
Final Update

After three tanks of fuel I think the AF-XiED has taught the Motronic everything it needs to learn. I've got the device set at "6". Bike is noticeably smoother at higher rpm, revs easier, has better throttle response and mid-range, and a dead smooth idle. Starts easily, too. Cruising at 120-130km/h (75-80 mph) the motor is dead smooth (an improvement). Fuel mileage has not suffered in the least, returning about 21 km per liter (about 51 mpg) combined city and highway still using premium 91, non-ethanol fuel.

If you've been pondering adding this accessory to your bike, ponder no more - just do it.

Thanks to all those who participated in the development of this product and of course to the craftsman who installed it on my bike.

Last edited:
.....you're not helping my patience, my device has been sitting at CanAmer in Blaine for my pickup for over 3 weeks now. I'm tempted to pull the tank and put it on during my 5 day shakedown trip in Oregon next week.

Not hard to replace and if you don't have a lot of plastic to remove, you only need to slide the tank back a few inches to get to the 02 plug connector under the tank.

I've tried setting 6, 7 & 8. 6 was too lean, 7 was OK, just trying 8 to see how it works. Compared to my original setup, no CCP plug, which makes the bike run very lean, to installing ( shorting the CCP pins ) and the AFXied I have lost mileage. Engine does run smoother. Prior to installing the CCP plug and the AFXied the bike was getting between 55-60 mpg Canadian, which was too lean. Currently seems to be in the 45-50 range but need longer rides.

Not hard to replace and if you don't have a lot of plastic to remove, you only need to slide the tank back a few inches to get to the 02 plug connector under the tank.

I've tried setting 6, 7 & 8. 6 was too lean, 7 was OK, just trying 8 to see how it works. Compared to my original setup, no CCP plug, which makes the bike run very lean, to installing ( shorting the CCP pins ) and the AFXied I have lost mileage. Engine does run smoother. Prior to installing the CCP plug and the AFXied the bike was getting between 55-60 mpg Canadian, which was too lean. Currently seems to be in the 45-50 range but need longer rides.

Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly but no CCP sets the Motronic to it's richest curve.

I have a Y pipe in place of the cat and have for years run the Steptoe jumpered mod to the CCP socket. When I put the new 1200 injectors in about 6 weeks ago I also removed the jumper in the CCP socket. As others have reported, the difference with the injectors was very noticeable to say the least....I did however get a drop in fuel economy. (about 45 mpg to 40ish mpg)

A couple of weeks ago I put the CCP jumper back in and today I filled up and my last tank was back to 45 mpg. Now as GS Addict says it's possible that with the mod it has reverted back to been a little on the lean side. I continue to feel the improvement from the injectors but....I do recall reading the Roger said that the injector improvement could be attributed to new nice clean and matched injectors and that any other improvement may be diminished after a few tanks of gas as the motronic puts things back the way they were or close to it. Now I'm probably wrong but I think I read it....OMG I'm sounding like Trump :scratch

Looking forward to putting the AF-Xied in and seeing what happens.

I have a Y pipe in place of the cat ....

Me, too. I have no idea what plug (if any) is in the CCP socket/receptacle 'cause I haven't ever looked at it. Due to the smallish tank on the S, fuel mileage is a consideration for me (especially when I'm touring through Montana). Yes, there's a story there.... :laugh

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly but no CCP sets the Motronic to it's richest curve.

Actually not true if you read Rogers various posts on the topic. From what I've read of his postings is that the opposite happens. My bike has no cat and has staintune exhaust which will affect the results somewhat but there was no doubt the engine ran leaner without the CCP. No colour on plugs, kick back on start when hot, mileage in the high 50's- low 60's, indicate a lean condition to me. Bike has always run on 91 fuel without ethanol.

Roger, involved in the designing of the AFXied has always recommended that you leave the bikes stock CCP in, as it tells the computer what engine it is, and which fuel map to run. That way the AFXied can actually affect the AF mixture. Without the CCP you are wasting your time. The S model, even the single spark model runs on the 2.4 Motronic and is really closer to the 1150 series of engines than the 1100 series of engines.

Last Saturday I left with a full tank, filled to bottom of fill lip, drove for about 90 miles, refilled the tank to the same mark, and when I did the calculations I got 45 mpg on the Canadian gallon. That is the lowest gas mileage I have ever gotten with this bike. The AFXied was set at 8 for this trip. There is no doubt the AFXied brings the engine to life and the roll on power is much stronger with it than without it.

I'll try the 8 setting for a while longer to see how things go. As a side note my experience with the AFXied, the computer learns much faster than I've read. That kind of makes sense because with a car engine, the 02 sensor starts affecting things within about 20 minutes of run time.

Interesting stuff.

Actually not true if you read Rogers various posts on the topic. From what I've read of his postings is that the opposite happens. My bike has no cat and has staintune exhaust which will affect the results somewhat but there was no doubt the engine ran leaner without the CCP. No colour on plugs, kick back on start when hot, mileage in the high 50's- low 60's, indicate a lean condition to me. Bike has always run on 91 fuel without ethanol.

Roger, involved in the designing of the AFXied has always recommended that you leave the bikes stock CCP in, as it tells the computer what engine it is, and which fuel map to run. That way the AFXied can actually affect the AF mixture. Without the CCP you are wasting your time. The S model, even the single spark model runs on the 2.4 Motronic and is really closer to the 1150 series of engines than the 1100 series of engines.

Last Saturday I left with a full tank, filled to bottom of fill lip, drove for about 90 miles, refilled the tank to the same mark, and when I did the calculations I got 45 mpg on the Canadian gallon. That is the lowest gas mileage I have ever gotten with this bike. The AFXied was set at 8 for this trip. There is no doubt the AFXied brings the engine to life and the roll on power is much stronger with it than without it.

I'll try the 8 setting for a while longer to see how things go. As a side note my experience with the AFXied, the computer learns much faster than I've read. That kind of makes sense because with a car engine, the 02 sensor starts affecting things within about 20 minutes of run time.

Interesting stuff.

Canadian GS 1150's did not come with a cat code plug and I went as far as confirming this with the dealer. My experiences with jumpers and leanness is the exact opposite. (it would make sense as US bikes would have to meet stricter California standards and they all have a cat code plug of some configuration) My exhaust is all stock.
My AF-xIED is set at 6 and have one of the first units made which Roger sent me. I sent lots of GS-911 data test back to him at the time.
As far as mileage goes I can offer the following. Have logged year round mileage for 300,000+ km on an excel spreadsheet, the mileage drops in winter months and improves every spring. Part of this is directly related to temperature but the fuel supply (winter/summer gas) affects it as well.

Last edited:
On the R1150, all coding plugs are lean burn and use an O2 sensor. And an interesting note, no-plug is actually a coding plug, it represents code 000 in binary math. The RT uses a pink plug which is code 011. So no-plug code 000 is the higher octane plug for the R1150GS, where the Yellow plug is RON 91 Octane.

The way you know what each code does is to read the Motronic. Here is a good summary:

UPDATED June 4, 2015

Earlier in this thread I posted up the best info I could find at the time on how BMW designed its Coding Plugs, or CCPs as they get called. Recently, I've come across much more accurate information from "the source". That is to say, the Motronic units themselves.

It turns out, as most of you know, that each Motronic unit has an EPROM. The EPROM contains instructions for the Motronic, along with over 600 tables of data that include 8 sets of fuel and 8 sets of spark tables. It also includes a table with 8 text string entries that say exactly what each of the 8 Coding Plugs has been designed for.

It is pretty easy to get the Motronic 2.4 to tell you what each CCP selects. You simply plug in a CCP and run an Autoscan with a GS-911. I've also confirmed the GS-911 report by having the chips removed from the Motronic and read with an EPROM reader and Hex Editor.

The bottom line is that the ONLY good advice one can give is to use the stock Coding Plug. The reason is that there is no formula that says a certain pin on the CCP has any particular function (e.g. Pin 86 does not effect Octane). It also turns out that even if you compare two R1150GSs, for instance, the CCP can have a different meaning based on the date and delivery-location of the motorcycle.

So ignore earlier posts in this thread, and since there are several different EPROMs, if you want to know which CCP is designed for which motorcycle-configuration for your bike, READ THE EPROM with a GS-911 (R1150).

Five bikes I have data on at the moment are:
2004 R1150RT US (USA) Twin Spark
2003 R1150GS SA (South Africa) Twin Spark
2002 R1150GS CA (Canada) Single Spark
2002 R1150R CA Single Spark
2002 R1150GS US Single Spark

Here is the readout from each bike's various coding plug configurations. You can see the differences for yourself. If for example you put a Yellow Coding plug into the SA bike it selects No Series, and runs accordingly—barely at all!

2004 R1150RT US (USA) Twin Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150R/GS US+ECE
Beige Coding Plug: R1150R/GS Japan
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150R-GS Ocatan 91
Pink Coding Plug: R1150RT-RS US+ECE
30-86 Coding Plug: R1150RT/RS Japan
30-86-87: R1100S US+ECE
30-86-87a: No Valid String found
30-86-87-87a: keine Serie (no series)

2003 R1150GS SA (South Africa) Twin Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150R/GS US+ECE
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150R/GS Japan
Beige Coding Plug: keine Serie (no series)

2002 R1150GS CA (Canada) Single Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150 GS ECE Kat
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150 GS US u.TEV
Beige Coding Plug: R1150 GS CH o.TEV

2002 R1150R CA Single Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150R/GS ECE Kat
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150R/GS US u.TEV
Beige Coding Plug: R1150RS/GS CH o.TEV
Pink Coding Plug: R1150RT ECE/US Kat/T
30-86 Coding Plug: R1150RT US II Kat/TE
30-86-87:
30-86-87a: KEINE SERIE
30-86-87-87a:

2002 R1150GS US Single Spark
No Coding Plug: R1150R/GS ECE Kat
Yellow Coding Plug: R1150R/GS US u.TEV
Beige Coding Plug: R1150RS/GS CH o.TEV
Pink Coding Plug: R1150RT ECE/US Kat/T
30-86 Coding Plug: R1150RT US II Kat/TE
30-86-87: R1150 R/GS ECE ROZ91
30-86-87a: KEINE SERIE
30-86-87-87a:

On the R1150, all coding plugs are lean burn and use an O2 sensor. And an interesting note, no-plug is actually a coding plug, it represents code 000 in binary math. The RT uses a pink plug which is code 011. So no-plug code 000 is the higher octane plug for the R1150GS, where the Yellow plug is RON 91 Octane.

The way you know what each code does is to read the Motronic. Here is a good summary:

So when I cross the border into Washington I should pop in the yellow plug? :usa

Spare time and couldn't wait...

It was such a nice morning in the campsite on the Long Beach WA peninsula with the sun behind me and the tank almost empty so I thought I'd throw the manipulator on the bike and not wait until I got home.

IMG_2591.jpg

I don't have a small slot screwdriver with me so I'm leaving it on the default 7 for now. All I can say after just 35 miles is that it runs very smoothly.....more time needed.

Back