• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CA1 Closure

Thanks, John, that's an excellent introduction to the Big Sur area.

The article says in the second-to-last paragraph that Highway 1 is open up to the now-demolished bridge. However, CalTrans' road information page still reports that northbound Highway 1 is closed to traffic at Ragged Point, about 25 miles north of Cambria. I've read on several Big Sur blogs that limited access at the Ragged Point closure is permitted to folks who live between this closure and Pfeiffer Creek.

I'd trust the CalTrans page, and conclude that the roadway north of Ragged Point is still not open for most of us.

Last edited:
That is my understanding too. However, I would believe that the "closure" at Ragged Point is an unmanned closure with only signs indicating local traffic only. I don't think CHP would be manning that closure point for the next year or more. From what I've read and heard (I'm local) nine months is wildly optimistic and it is more likely to be closer to 18 months depending on several variables. Anyway, regardless, Ferguson Road is now open again, so it should be possible to ride around the closure at Big Sur via this route.

My wife and I are leaving the snow to go to LA and ride up Rt 1 April 1st via car. Surprise to learn this news!! We will see then

CA 1 closure

Damn, I read it too fast. As Dave Swider used to say, "Imagine my surprise..." Thought it said "CIA Closure". Oh well. :dunno

Friedle

THis from Big Sur Website (people that would be interested in visitors)
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html
Highway1Closures-3-24.jpg

............ Anyway, regardless, Ferguson Road is now open again, so it should be possible to ride around the closure at Big Sur via this route.

Have found some references to that road (spelled Fergusson, 2 S's), but not finding it on a map anywhere near the bridge that is out.

>>> later note
Oh.... there on the map I posted,
Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd
about 25 miles south of the bridge
about 50 miles into the "local traffic only".

Last edited:
The link and map you posted shows a closure north of Ragged Point. "Paul's slide", but I don't know if that's still closed or not. I've heard through the grapevine that it's open, but I don't have any direct information.

We have friends that live on Palo Colorado Rd., they say it's open to residents only. Who's checking that? Don't know. But it's enough of a mess that I'm sure not going to add to it by trying to find out.
And I suspect that, being the close-knit community that they are on PC Rd, that anyone who isn't recognized as local would be viewed with some suspicion.

Here's a repost of what you're dealing with from Soviet Steeds Ural/Dnepr website > http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47190

....., being the close-knit community that they are on PC Rd, that anyone who isn't recognized as local would be viewed with some suspicion.

Like a guy with Michigan plates, stopping to look at a map.

Around here, I have found that "Road Closed Ahead" barricade on a nice riding road means : Good, less traffic, and at some point will have to turn around and come back.

And around here, in city especially, "Road Closed. Local Traffic only." means there could be a cop there, or someone might call one, and do get ticket.

THis map, and what info I have found, makes it seem that there is this 30 some mile stretch that need to find some way to divert around all of that.

If headed north, Like someplace nearby maybe San Simion(?), head over somehow to(?) US101(?), and go up to someplace(?) to head back over by Big Sur(?) Carmel(?).

THis map, and what info I have found, makes it seem that there is this 30 some mile stretch that need to find some way to divert around all of that.

If headed north, Like someplace nearby maybe San Simion(?), head over somehow to(?) US101(?), and go up to someplace(?) to head back over by Big Sur(?) Carmel(?).

Yes, it looks that way to me. Not a lot of east-west roads at this location, or so it seems.

The last place to jump back to the 101 is Hwy 46, just south of Cambria. The best place to jump back over to Hwy 1 is Carmel Valley Road. If you like twisty back country roads, if you prefer a more direct route then you can cut back via Monterey.

This is a new slide, it occurred around 24 of May....
Hwy 1 slide 2.jpg

It's here...
Hwy 1 slide.jpg

"Here" is about 7 miles north of Ragged Point. Nacimiento-
Fergusson road is on the other side.

California's Hwy 1 in the Big Sur area Jan. 2018

Just to be clear: The bridge at Pfieffer Canyon has been rebuilt and is open providing access on Hwy all the way to Gorda. The Hwy is one lane at Paul's Slide for a short stretch as work is on going to repair that section but it is passable. Be careful this area, lots of marbles on the road. Hwy 1 is closed just south of Gorda (where you can buy gas for $7/gal). The Mud Creek slide is proving to be a real problem and there is no definite planned opening of the hwy beyond Gorda in the immediate future. The hillside is still moving and the slide in May was massive. Regardless, riding CA 1 from Monterey to Gorda is a spectacular ride even if you can't go all the way to San Louis Obispo.

We rode down to Gorda from Santa Cruz on Hwy 1 and camped at the Plaskett Creek campground. Plaskett Creek is a great place to camp and you can eat in Gorda or at Tree Bones resort. If you have never been, you have to check out Tree Bones, it is an amazing place. ( http://www.treebonesresort.com ) It was 51 degrees and foggy in the campground when we decided to head up to Tree Bones for dinner. Tree Bones is about 2 miles south from the campground and a mile off Hwy 1 up on the mountain. There it was nearly 70 degrees, and the outdoor bar was only a few feet above the fog which made for a spectacular setting with an ocean of fog at our feet.

On the way back (never liking to retrace our route) we rode over Naciamento-Fregusson Rd. to Jolon Rd. The views of the Big Sur coast from Naciamento-Fergusson Rd. are incomparable as it raises 2500 ft. above the coast in a short distance. Coast Ridge 1.jpg
GS riders will want to take a detour at the top onto Coast Ridge Rd. (it's dirt) which follows the spine of the mountains into the backcountry with lots of amazing vistas. From where this picture was taken on a clear day you can see all the way to the Sierra's in the east.

On the east side of the Santa Lucias N-F Rd. cuts through Fort Hunter Liggett. Take Jolon Rd. left to Hwy 101 north. Be careful to watch your speed when on the Army base, it's a Federal ticket if you get busted. Taking 101 north is boring, with bad cross winds, lots of traffic and cars entering the road all over the place. Stop in Salinas for great carnitas at El Zacatecano ( http://el-zacatecano.cafe-inspector.com ). From Salinas we headed back to the coast on backroads through Prunedale (or as we say "Prunetuky") avoiding the beaten path as much as possible until rejoining Hwy 1.

If you're really into a staying off the beaten path get off 101 in Greenfield take Elm Rd. west out to Arroyo Seco Rd and it eventually tuns into Carmel Valley Rd. Carmel Valley road takes you back over the coast range to Hwy 1. It's a long and winding road but worth the effort if you have the time.

Ca 1

I understand that Cal Trans has spanned the Pfeiffer Canyon with a new bridge that is now open. Has anyone ridden on Hiway for first hand closure information about the closures south of Pfeiffer? Love that road, hoping to ride it while attending the summer World Superbike races......

Back