• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is there a way to mark where you stopped browsing a thread.

dabubba

There are a number of threads with over 100 pages. I'd like to view them all, but never have enough time at any one sitting, or even multiple sittings. Is there a way to "mark" where you end viewing at one sitting so the next time you go to that thread you can start where you stopped the last time? If there is not, could someone smarter than that I am program a way that it can be accomplished.

Mike -

As far as I know, there is no feature that you are wondering about. Obviously, you've found on shorter threads that if you've gotten to the last post and come back later on or the next day to find new posts, you can click on icons related to the thread which takes you to the first new post. But for long threads, I'm afraid there's nothing to help and in reality, there won't be in the future. We're using the stock vBulletin package and the code is not undergoing anymore development. Also, we don't have people who do that kind of programming.

About all you can do is to write down which page or post number you last visited and use that to jump to that location the next time. At the top right of the long thread, you can click on the box that says "Page 1 of xxxx". When you do that, a box shows up which lets you type in the page you want to jump to. Then you can quickly navigate to the next post you want to read.

That's at least one tool you can use...but you'll need to make your own notes where to start at. HTH...

Mike -

As far as I know, there is no feature that you are wondering about. Obviously, you've found on shorter threads that if you've gotten to the last post and come back later on or the next day to find new posts, you can click on icons related to the thread which takes you to the first new post. But for long threads, I'm afraid there's nothing to help and in reality, there won't be in the future. We're using the stock vBulletin package and the code is not undergoing anymore development. Also, we don't have people who do that kind of programming.

About all you can do is to write down which page or post number you last visited and use that to jump to that location the next time. At the top right of the long thread, you can click on the box that says "Page 1 of xxxx". When you do that, a box shows up which lets you type in the page you want to jump to. Then you can quickly navigate to the next post you want to read.

That's at least one tool you can use...but you'll need to make your own notes where to start at. HTH...

View the forum via an app lie Tapatalk. It has an unread feature that only shows new posts, if that is what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

View the forum via an app lie Tapatalk. It has an unread feature that only shows new posts, if that is what you want.

vBulletin has the same feature, at least as I think I understand what you might be saying. What vBulletin can't do is to pick up reading posts at some arbitrary point. For example, if a user comes into a thread that contains 1000 posts (ie new posts to that reader) and they read the first 100, leaving the remaining 900 as unread. Then they leave the forum and don't come back for several days. The forum software will treat the rest of the 900 unread posts by that user as having been read. Once you enter a thread to review some of it, the software will effectively mark it such that you viewed all of the posts.

If tapatalk will do that, then that might be a good feature. But not being a tapatalk user, I wonder about the feature.

You can use your browsers bookmark/favorite feature to at least get you back to the post page you were on but not sure if it will take you to the exact post. PM me if you need help with that.

You need to save your own stopping points, but rather than cluttering up my bookmark list, I just put temporary shortcuts on my desktop, where they are hard to forget, and easily deleted once I've gotten caught up. The easiest way to create the shortcut on a PC is to click on the last-read post number in the upper right hand corner and drag it out of the browser window onto the desktop.
Post.jpg

On multi-page threads, I tend to break up my reading at the bottom of a page. I can just make a shortcut to the next page, rather than the next post. Here I'm at the bottom of page 3095, and I'll drag the page 3096 button to the desktop.
page.jpg

One other tip comes in handy once you are caught up on all the old posts. Click the double down-arrow at the beginning of a thread title, instead of the thread title itself, to go directly to the first new post added to a thread since your last visit.
new.jpg

Definitely nice visual, Larry! But I will say that the feature to go "...to the first new post added to a thread since your last visit" is not completely true. If works the best if you visit the forum fairly regularly, like 2-3 times a day. But if you come back after a week or two, I don't think that you'll go to the same location, but rather to some other "new" post well after the last one you saw. It's a function of the way vBulletin updates individual settings in the background...completely out of our control. Just wanted to make that specific point. :wave

Back