• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Temperature change

OFOAM1

OFOAM
This is a follow up to my thread about Poudre Canyon Rd. Now that I know the elevation change (thanks Lee) what can I expect for temperature difference between Ft. Collins and maybe Walden. Just want to be prepared. I've heard at elevation you can sometimes get a significant temperature change. I can always bring my heated vest.
Mick

I'd look up the weather forecast for the time you're planning to ride and judge from that. Look at what's forecasted a week before and after too and compare. Bring the gear that would allow you to ride comfortably in that range of temps. It may be that part way through the ride, you stop to don more gear.

Chris

The temp will change 3.5 deg F for each 1000 feet of elevation change.
If the weather system is the same the temp will be 10 degrees colder in Walden.
This is just a rough rule. Sometimes the weather can be completely different on each side of a pass.

Take your heated vest, heated gear is handy in the mountains, turn it up as you climb, turn it down as you descend.

Thanks guys. This is my first trip to that area. Went to Billings in '15 and it was just HOT the whole way. Don't think I saw anything below about 92* the whole way. I've heard stories about going over the mountains and how things can change. Doesn't really sound like it will be that bad. I'll just plan my gear for what the conditions are when we leave Ft. Collins. I'll adjust for the 3.5*/1000ft. I'll bring the heated vest and hope I don't need it.
Did the satellite and street view in Google, and Poudre Canyon Rd. looks like it will be very interesting. Worth the long haul from western NY.
Mick

Billings

Riding to Billings might be as hot as I have ever been on a bike. Once there it didn't seem as bad and in fact it was cool on top of Beartooth Pass. I left Billings on Saturday and spent Saturday night in Pinedale WY. Headed south out of Pinedale on Sunday morning I was VERY happy that I brought my electric vest.

Riding on the plains in the summer is hot and the slightly cooler air in a mountain pass is a welcome relief. You won't need a heated vest in the summer, just be able to layer under your riding jacket.

Back