• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lubrication System R1150 Engine

Dave_Faria

Slow & Easy
Does anyone know where I can go to view a drawing of how engine oil is distributed in the R1150 engine?? I'm looking for a drawing cut into the engine itself with arrows showing oil flow if possible. I learned the other day that the cam chain tensioners are pressurized form the oil system. I thought springs did that job. Just want to learn.

A schematic would help if it calls out the 1150 engine parts like the cam tensioner.

Thanks List. I'm new to the BMWMOA

I have a 2004 R1150RT and a 1978 R80/7(original owner).

Dave, I don't know where to find that schematic, although I have seen it before over at the R1150R.NET site.

I can tell you this. The NEW cam chain tensioner is an internal spring piston which operates on oil pressure, but the older one was indeed mechanically springed. I just upgraded to the new one on the left side in my '03. I believe the newer one came stock in the 2004 models.

Actually, both the older and the newer cam chain tensioners are properly considered hydraulic cam chain tensioners. They all require oil pressure to tension the cam chain. The the left-side tensioner sits in the engine "upside down" and was prone to drain down. Then, on engine start it would take a few seconds for the tensioner to properly pressurize and a knocking sound from the chain slap could be heard. The original left and right side tensioners both had light positioning springs but the springs are far too weak to actually tension the chains.

BMW superceded the left side tensioner with a new one which is less prone to draining down. So the chain slap is minimized. As far as I know the right side tensioner was not superceded. The new one doesn't have a spring, but on the left side gravity holds the piston extended anyway: not so on the right side.

Paul Glaves

I stand corrected on the hydraulic tensioner. Its good we have you around to keep us wannabe mechanics in line. :thumb

The new one doesn't have a spring

The new one I installed did however have a spring, but it was hidden inside the piston. I must have played with that thing for 20 minutes before I discovered that fact. I don't know though if it serves the same function as the old loose spring.

Dave_Faria said:
Does anyone know where I can go to view a drawing of how engine oil is distributed in the R1150 engine?? I'm looking for a drawing cut into the engine itself with arrows showing oil flow if possible. I learned the other day that the cam chain tensioners are pressurized form the oil system. I thought springs did that job. Just want to learn.

A schematic would help if it calls out the 1150 engine parts like the cam tensioner.

Thanks List. I'm new to the BMWMOA

I have a 2004 R1150RT and a 1978 R80/7(original owner).

Here ya go Dave:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Oil_Circuit.jpg
    Oil_Circuit.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 125
Back