• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000XR Forum

Taking the S1000XR off road?

Ok, I know it is not really an Adventure bike, even though classed as one by BMW. What have people been doing with it though? Any off roading at all? It has good clearance and wide handlebars, but after that, oh boy, I'd hate to drop the thing. The plastic on it would shatter to pieces. And there is no underbelly guard (like on a Multistrada).

Just curious what people think. I've found myself on some trails, and very rough black top tracks, and had no problems. But I wouldn't go "off road" riding on it intentionally.

Just bought a new ‘18 XR and have been looking for forums to compare notes with other owners. Both of the forum links referenced above are dead and this forum doesn’t seem very active. Anyone found a more active forum the XR specifically?

I agree - where’s the love for the XR? I picked up a new Triple Black today to replace an R1250 GSA that was destroyed when I got rear ended. I couldn’t be more excited about the bike and would love a more active XR forum.

There’s a UK forum that is reasonably active but it is (obviously) UK centric.

I've had my 'low' version 18 XR since end of March 2018. I've already put close to 14k on it already. I have the HP seat and added the Wunderlich Wind Deflectors and Touring windscreen for my long distance riding. I put the factory screen on for around town and warmer weather for more airflow against the chest and helmet. I've been averaging 36-37 mpg and on cruise control on the highway a little over 40. I'm on my third set of tires. My latest are the Michelin Road 5. At 15K I will be due for chain and sprockets.

Back