• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel and Additives for Low Compression Vintage Bikes

72r60/7

I'm hoping to buy a 1958 R60 soon and I'm very excited like I was a 12 yr old !
What sort of Octane fuel and additives are best for the '55 - '60's engines ?

For the low compression R60, you should be able to get by with the lowest level octane...maybe bump to the mid level. My R25/2 is running with the mid level. Use what ever grade doesn't result in pinging.

As for additives, all my bikes have had valves/seats converted to unleaded. Before doing my /7, I had been running various additives like ValvTect that became pretty scarce and then began using a lead additive that Gunk brands make. I think it's a false feeling of security. Probably just as well to not deal with additives and watch the clearances. The additives could possibly end up leaving extra deposits in the engine.

I'm not a huge fan of using aviation fuel due to the very real restrictions and possible penalties for road use. But people have been known to work with their local community airport to buy small amounts of 100LL fuel and add a bit from time to time to the tank. In addition, you might check with your marinas...I think there are still a lot of older outboard motors that still need leaded fuel.

Curmudgeon time: If your motorcycle won't operate without the need to spew lead fumes into the air then it should be parked as a museum piece. There are enough "mad hatters" in the world without adding more.

EDIT Added: They have run several MC Cannonball Runs with motorcycles built in the 19 teens, twenties, and thirties, fueling at gas stations along the way, so whatever modifications to valve gear are needed are certainly possible.

Last edited:
So, are Unleaded Valve Seats available for '55 -69 Vintage BMW's ? As well as for Singles (250 cc ?), 500 cc and 600 cc engines ?

Charlie

Last edited:
The "Mad Hatters" were poisoned by mercury, not lead.

I knew that. I just forgot. It is the people in Flint Michigan that are being poisoned by lead.

But my point remains. If your bike won't run without illegal lead it needs to be parked. But I think lead-free seats and valves can be obtained.

Back