• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I have to stop reacting to the sight of a bmw bike...2013 k1600glt

motor4

So dropped by the local Harley dealer, and victory dealer for the free Indian hat today. Sorry to see Victory go though had not given the brand any thought prior really. Did a test ride of a used 2016 victory vision that only a mom could love the look of from behind and have to say that v-twin felt very smooth and nice. Too much heat to have as a Florida bike I feel though otherwise not a bad ride. Side bags too small for storage space really. Cross country touring, lots of side bag space looks interesting.

So hit the Harley shop next and they have a used 2013 k1600glt with 12k miles on it for $15,000 asking price. running lights and kick out highway pegs. Don't recall last time I rode one. Feels very much like the old k models k75 and k100rs models, seems to spin high (sound wise) though rpms are running low 3/4K...yet like the old k bikes was looking for another gear to kick her up to. Too used to my 05 r1200rt model I guess. It has 44k miles on her, got it used and I swear It has a sweeter shifting gear box then I ever had prior. Feels a bit long winded once I hit 80mph though.

Almost 60 and two more years until retirement thus mostly in state riding here in Florida. Then north GA to be a snow bird 6 months a year once retired. Uncertain if a k1600glt would be a good choice at this point in life, 30" inseam and can hold her up flat footed. Has trunk which I like and bags. Don't know k1600 model year changes though, nor if price point is good...will check cycle trader in a bit now that I am back home.

Would be training in the r1200rt (offered $3,500) and a 04 sportster xl1200c ($6,000 offered). One or both numbers might be a bit low.
Ride safe

Last edited:
Hate when the iPad battery dies. Meant to ask the following questions besides other items noted prior.
1. For former oil head boxer owners, are you glad you make the switch to a k1600?
2. Any of you switch back to boxer after?
3. Did you get used to the high engine sound? For certain different from a boxer plus no extra gear to drop the rpms down a bit.

Was at a 2017 GS tech session today in Tampa. All I can say is that blue rally model with blue frame is a looker and the bike tech aspects sound amazing. Tech was uncertain if the water pump still has a weep hole or not like the 2016 models did. Thought that of interest. At $21k or so seems like a lot of tech for the money. $18,500 for a left over Victory cross county which has little of what the GS offers. that turning headlight on a k1600 has to be a great safety feature I would think.

Great bunch of guys and ladies at that euro bmw Tampa shop, very friendly, helpful and kind I feel.
Nice of them to do the tech session today also.

Just glanced through a review on Cycle World. They had a great idea. Get a license plate that says "SICKDAY". :D

Chris

That will fit nicely on the back of any bmw bike I figure :)
Saw one today I had not seen prior...barsuk (maybe it has a 2nd s in it). At any rate thought it was on point if it was meant to relate to drunk drivers on the roads.

To be fair to my old 05 RT, I have to say she is a really sweet ride just as she is. Feels very frisky rowing through the gears, actually very fast. And if not on an interstate then no need for high speeds really. Plus for her size, though not light, manageable for me presently. Did notice, though good for her size, the 1600 has some weight about her. Course once she is under way that is not a worry.

Last ride was a '94 R1100rsl. Absolutely trustworthy commuter bike. Zero to 75 instantly and comfortable for quick jaunts. Rode Mass to Florida once - a bit much for a 3/4 seating position....

Sold it recently and got a 2014 GTLE. Wife and I have almost finished 'farkling' and it's turning into a sweet ride.

Yes it's heavy. Yes it seems *top* heavy compared to Harley Ultra's. But all that pales when you start that motor. Zowee!!

Do think Beemer made a sport bike and stretched it toward touring but not far enough. But it's a damn interesting ride.

Oh, and tested a new RT. Nice. A step up from my R1100 but just didn't have the excitement of the K16.

Need a bigger garage, clearly.

Hum, the used 2013 I am looking has zero, zip service history in the bmw mothership tracking system. Now wondering if I should walk or run away from the deal to buy it tomorrow.

Why would someone not take an expensive technology laiden bike to the dealer...at least for the first break-in service. It has just a drop over 11,000 miles on presently and has an Open campaign for a cmu update and multi-function switch; both free even though bike was out of warranty back on 10/1/16.

So guess question for you k1600 owners, if u don't mind weighing in, is would you buy a used k1600 with zero service history? Also, I am told it may cost $800 for a 12k service. The shop that is selling the bike, not a bmw dealer, already bumped my trade in from 6 to 8,000 to do the deal so I will be out $6,200 out the door cost. And I know my 2014 xl1200c would be hard pressed to do better on Craigslist even though it has abc and security.

The k1600 has an after market windscreen with hole in lower center, clear air deflectors (one each side under the handlebars and highway pegs that pivot out about 180 degrees so it seemed the previous owner knew some good things to add to the bike.

It has central locking bags, comfort package, anti theft, radio software, Bluetooth interface control, adaptive headlight though key to start the bike, no keyless.

As much as I hate keep as many bikes as I have I will keep my 05 r1200rt since I feel...maybe wrongly, it is worth more to me then $3,500 they offered in trade towards the k bike. Last, I think of the K1600 as a touring mount mostly for out of State travel as opposed to a local around town bike. At least the way I would plan to use it. Would just need to find or make the time for long weekend travels up to GA or NC now and again.

Last edited:
I wouldn't let that stop you. I certainly wouldn't run away from the bike. You don't mention the mileage on the bike or the condition of the bike. And if the price is right with all things considered...go for it.

The owner may have done the maintenance himself. So if you look at the service interval list, what things should've been done by now based on mileage and/or time?

I have a perception that may be wrong, but it seems like a lot of owners on this forum take their bikes to the dealer for everything. If you go to other forums, or even <shudder> the F800 forum, you'll find a lot of owners do their own maintenance. :) The bikes hold up just fine...as long as the person doing the work knows what they are doing. Things like oil and air filter changes are pretty simple. And if that's all the maintenance that has been needed so far, there might not be any records. Valve adjustments are only a little more complicated.

Chris

Drop over 11,000 miles on the bike. Appears to be in very good condition.

Not having owed a k1600 before I do wonder it if is a bit of a one trick pony or at least one designed to put the miles on it outside of the city limits much more so then suited for city riding. Though then again, would still have the old 05 r1200rt for city use.

Last edited:
drop over 11,000 miles on the bike. Appears to be in very good condition.

Not having owed a k1600 before i do wonder it if is a bit of a one trick pony or at least one designed to put the miles on it outside of the city limits much more so then suited for city riding. Though then again, would still have the old 05 r1200rt for city use.

after putting 21,000 on my gtle you will find it to be quite the bike on long trips 48 miles per gallen. And the short trips runing past the rice burners is alot of fun idid most of my own service and now i have a new gtle ready for its frist service have fun whit it

I elected to hold until this weekend to buy it or not. Bmw shop has demo rides Saturday so want to do the new wet head RT though doubt they have a rt1200 2017 in stock. Though a 2017 GS would be a fun ride. Shop did not text me back today so maybe they sold it or shipped it off to a different dealer.

Just a bit gun shy on a bike with no maintenance history plus having up cough up $800 or more for a major service as soon as I drive off with it enters into the equation. Uncertain what a cmu flash open campaign is all about as well and what that entails.

At any rate if it is not there Saturday or I decide a K1600gtl is just not me life will go on. Probably just not as fast :)

I elected to hold until this weekend to buy it or not. Bmw shop has demo rides Saturday so want to do the new wet head RT though doubt they have a rt1200 2017 in stock. Though a 2017 GS would be a fun ride. Shop did not text me back today so maybe they sold it or shipped it off to a different dealer.

Just a bit gun shy on a bike with no maintenance history plus having up cough up $800 or more for a major service as soon as I drive off with it enters into the equation. Uncertain what a cmu flash open campaign is all about as well and what that entails.

At any rate if it is not there Saturday or I decide a K1600gtl is just not me life will go on. Probably just not as fast :)

Please tell us where the bike is located. Maybe one of us would like to buy it. ;)

Here's a PDF of the various tasks on a service. http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...ets-600-annual-6-000-12-000-18-000-miles.html Most of it, is change the oil and air filter. There's lots of lines on the checklist...but look at it closely. One that comes to mind, is to check the sidestand. I sort of do that every time I ride. I live in an area where air filters just don't get dirty. Much of the rest of some of those checks are things you should be aware of before you ride. But if you only glance at the checklist, it looks like a big deal.

Lastly...why are you not negotiating the next service in the deal? A dealer should toss in for free, the next service as a way to assure you the bike is in good condition. At this time of the year, they are hungry for sales.

Again, tell us where the bike is located so one of us can buy it if you pass on it. ;) :)

Chris

It would have been a great buy though was just not the right time and would have had to borrow money to make the purchase. Certain I would have loved the turning head light. Guess it is the price of admission though a 18k service was quoted around $1,000 or a bit more. That plus I am not riding the bikes I already have enough now days so best I did not get it. Dealer sold it to someone else so that is how it goes.

My time on a K1600GT

I owned an '03 R1150RT since 2005. Bought it with 8,500 miles. It was trouble-free, amazing. I had come from Honda V-fours and the RT was like a diesel. I came to love the flat-twin power delivery and sound. Had farkled it out pretty well. Approaching 90,000 miles, I was looking at something newer. I thought of a new water-head RT. The dealer I went to didn't want to give me what I thought mine was worth trade. (surprise, surprise) I passed for a while. Was at another dealer closer that had just gotten a BMW franchise. They had a '13 K1600GT in Montego Blue, with 15K miles. I put it up and down off of the center stand in the showroom, knowing this could be an issue as the bike is approx. 150 pounds heavier than the RT. It was surprising easy, or not intimidating. The engine sound was so sweet, that I really became interested. I ended up trading the RT along with an '03 R1100S Boxer Cup replica in on the K bike. I've not looked back. Again, the engine is magical. It's got bags of torque and the intake and exhaust sound is music. I've put 12.000+ miles on it since I got it last year. I've bought a few farkles, but honestly it's almost complete. I've changed the fluids myself, which is not nearly as easy as the RT. But, I guess that's the price for progress. You're going to get oil on your hands during an oil change. (buy some surgical gloves) Final drive change means wheel removal. And honestly, except for moving it around a garage, I don't really notice a huge difference in managing the weight compared to the RT.

Could I get your opinion

If I could ask you guys your opinion. I have a 2012 K1600Gt for sale listed on this site and CL for $13,750. The bike has the same mileage as the price (13,800) and its loaded and even has a trunk, Ilium bag protectors and Altech engine guards and more. My question is, I have had little interest, why do you think that is? I thought I had it priced correctly, I did start higher on the suggestion of the local BMW dealer, but have lowered it to the price I thought and discussed with them originally. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

I sold my Honda NT700V last year for far less than the Kelley Blue Book said it was worth. In many ways, it is a lot like an RT and I had even some BMW riders wondering which BMW model it was. So, a nice bike and one that never let me down and carried me through all kinds of weather and on all kinds of roads. Just the kind of bike you'd think others would want too.

2011 honda nt700v.jpg

I had a lot of time to wonder why it wasn't selling as the days, weeks and months of summer ticked by. I got only about 3 people making a serious inquiry on it. Some, once they found it had 30,000 miles, couldn't wait to get off the phone. This was puzzling to me. You want a bike that you can put lots of miles on...but it's worn out by 30K?

Besides that reason, I think the other reason is the potential buyer demographics. Buyers with money like us...will buy new bikes. Sometimes because the new bike is their dream bike and they want it as pristine as can be. Others, because they just never think that a used bike is a good deal.

But the other reason I came up with, was money. The buyers who would look at my NT700V or your K1600GT, don't have that kind of cash floating around. They can't afford the bike, so they can only buy it with a loan. BMW offers a 3easy loan at a low interest price. Just doing a quick calculation, the new bike will cost the buy less than half the monthly payments on a traditional loan. Between a used bike with potentially higher monthly payments or a new bike, which do you think they'll buy?

One last point to mention from what may seem like the bearer of doom and gloom. The prices you see advertised on Craigslist, are the asking price. When I took economics 101, I learned that the value of the item for sale wasn't the price the seller was asking for it, but the price someone was willing to buy it for.

Have you thought about selling it under consignment? You'll potentially get more interested parties looking at it at a dealership than at your home.

Good luck!

Chris

If I could ask you guys your opinion. I have a 2012 K1600Gt for sale listed on this site and CL for $13,750. The bike has the same mileage as the price (13,800) and its loaded and even has a trunk, Ilium bag protectors and Altech engine guards and more. My question is, I have had little interest, why do you think that is? I thought I had it priced correctly, I did start higher on the suggestion of the local BMW dealer, but have lowered it to the price I thought and discussed with them originally. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

If your bike is the one in Sun City, AZ, I think you're caught in between lots of farkles (which all seem like reasonable choices) and the basic "about four years old" bike. You're asking just under the Sun City dealer price (per Kelly's Blue Book - IMHO not gospel but at least a localized guideline). The same dealer would have taken a standard K1600GT in for about $10K and listed it at $14K. Part of the $4K is expenses in getting the bike ready for sale, misc. overhead, dealer warranty, haggle room, and, of course, profit.

You've got the guards and other good farkles, but people don't usually shop for farkles. They may push a buyer towards one K1600 over another, but that's it (I went through that on my K1200RS - I went with the bike that had the Öhlin shocks, but I wasn't shopping for a bike with Öhlins). In short, much as you think you should factor them in, I wouldn't let them bump the price up significantly.

Bottom line: IMHO $13,750 for a private sale is somewhere between "very high" and "too high".

You asked and I'm just sayin'... :)

I've been looking seriously at a K1600GT or GTL since I returned from the Moonshine Lunch Run this last April. Seen a lot of prices in the same range for that 2012 year. There are a couple dealers in Massachusetts that are now offering 2012's with 22k to 25k miles for around $10,000.

As they say, cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider, I cannot bring myself pay over $10,000 for a 5 year old machine regardless of the mileage, knowing how much BMW repair costs are nowadays. Good luck in your sale, lovely bikes, I hope you get what you are asking.

I guess I won't tell you what we paid for a '90 VW Vanagon Westfalia camper, now at about 230K miles, then... ;)

Seriously, BMW maintenance is expensive. The return on investment, in terms of the quality of the machine and how it rides/drives, is definitely there. But it does get close to "if you have to ask how much, you probably can't afford it". DIY is certainly a reasonable option, but this isn't the best setting to learn which end of a screwdriver does what. :)

Thanks for the replies I do appreciate them. Yeah its a beautiful bike but you are probably right on the price, and on the rider. I'm going to rethink the price. Thanks again.

Back