• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Powerlet in Puig, Now What?

bikeflyer

The latest BMW ON had an article on Puig side-panels. I was looking for places to mount a couple of Powerlet sockets and figured that the Puig panels would provide same. Here is the result (if it posts!):

PowerletInPuig.jpg

So far, so good.

But I must be able to remove the side panels, which means the wires to the Powerlet must include a connector. The Powerlet came with what looks like a Molex connector, which is not weatherproof. I know that is not a big issue for a 12v system, but that area of the bike gets really wet if I ride in rain. So, Seal-All, Weather Pack, and Metri Pack are all weatherproof connectors.

My question is: does anyone here have actual experience with any of these connectors in a 15A circuit located in a place where they get wet? If so, what worked for you? Or, perhaps more importantly, did any not work for you? Also, did you just squeeze the connectors onto the wires - no solder? That's the standard, so, just wondering.

Thanks for any input.

I've got a power let connector on the left side front cover on my 2015 GSA, fused over 15 A. I used two regular female side connector, crimped and soldered the on the Powerlet. The connectors were then completely cover in liquid tape.

I use the connector for heated gear, 12 V air pump, Tender Junior charger, charging electronics (using a two-output usb outlet).

Thanks, Viking.

I've ordered Weather Pack connectors for the job. Hope they work out OK. I feared that using the female Powerlet connectors would limit either panel removal or weather protection (it will be wet under the Puigs on occasion). They claim they their pins need only crimping, but I still wonder about that at 15A.

I've learned that the Clearwater CANopener has a wire that I can use to trigger my PDM-60, so that eliminates a concern there. (I might have just used a relay and a fuse block if I had known that sooner - but I still value the ability to use the PDM-60 to set a delay on powering up accessories.)

Your use is about what I have in mind too.

Back