• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200 GS WH Windshield

dmorbach

new (1200 miles) and like all the other 6 GS models I have owned I need solid, effective screen. On all the previous bikes different brands of windshield worked best. I just hate the thought of going through the "buy and try" sequence. I need some solid experience/thoughts. I am 5'10 31" inseam and the bike has the lowered suspension and seat. Any help would be really appreciated. thanks. Puyallup WA

I'm interested in knowing what you end up choosing as I'm already wanting to change the screen on the '17 GSA.

Puig windshield

I have a 2014 GSA, normal seat and suspension. I am 6' with a 34 " inseam. I put on a Puig tall windshield and will be installing the additional support brackets this week. The shield seems to do the trick for me, gets the wind out of the face, unless I lower the windshield in order to get a breeze. The support brackets were recommended in the event you wish to travel 75 MPH+. It is suppose to keep the shield from flexing. Good luck with it!

I have a '17 GS and have ordered the Vstream touring windscreen. I did this based on comments I have read about other windscreens and past experience with a Vstream on another bike. I like the fact that it is polycarbonate and not acryilic

2016 R1200 GS WH Windshield

After reading some forums and talking with family member who sells M/C Gear I decided on the Ztechnik 19.5" x 15.25" clear screen. Reason? Pretty good reviews from riders. polycarbonate will take a beating compared to acrylic as the former is less brittle than the latter. Also used poly to build bullet resistant windows. The design? I hope it works as good as advertised. I built a W/S for my 2010 800 GS out of a used parabellum. cut, heated, and formed then made my own brackets out of aluminum strap. Winglets Too. worked pretty good BUT wasn't too pretty. The price was right. I should get it next week and will post results. I got the 19.5 inch since I figured if too tall I can trim. None of my tools are a W/S stretcher!!!! By the way. Has the ADVRider gone down hill a bit? some of the conversation leaves a lot to be desired.

Windscreen for 16 GS

I have a 2015 GSA low suspension. I am 5'11" w/32 inseam. I have the Aeroflow tall windshield on this bike and it works for me. I had an Aeroflow on my 2013 GSA as well. Aeroflow offers optional wind deflectors for use with their screens if necessary. Hope this helps, good luck.

After reading some forums and talking with family member who sells M/C Gear I decided on the Ztechnik 19.5" x 15.25" clear screen. Reason? Pretty good reviews from riders. polycarbonate will take a beating compared to acrylic as the former is less brittle than the latter. Also used poly to build bullet resistant windows. The design? I hope it works as good as advertised. I built a W/S for my 2010 800 GS out of a used parabellum. cut, heated, and formed then made my own brackets out of aluminum strap. Winglets Too. worked pretty good BUT wasn't too pretty. The price was right. I should get it next week and will post results. I got the 19.5 inch since I figured if too tall I can trim. None of my tools are a W/S stretcher!!!! By the way. Has the ADVRider gone down hill a bit? some of the conversation leaves a lot to be desired.

If you don't have pictures it didn't happen. :jester

Went for a test ride today with the Ztechnik Vstream Touring windscreen installed. Big difference from the stock windscreen. Much bigger pocket of still air, less helmet buffeting, yet still plenty of airflow around my chest and arms. There is some reflection from the inside of the screen, but I am looking way over the top, so it is not very annoying. Looks to be a keeper!

Last edited:
I tried several before settling on the Aeroflow. This is by far my favorite.

For me, the stock windshield was okay. The air was clean, but it was loud due to excessive wind noise at highway speeds. So, I went searching for an alternative.

I first tried the GSA tall shield. I didn't like it at all. I got turbulence and a ton of dirty air.

I then tried the stock windshield with a Puig deflector on top. That wasn't bad, but it was still not calm enough for what I wanted for touring.

Next up, I tried the Puig shield. I hated it. It got tons of turbulence which caused the whole mounting bracketry to bounce around in a not so good way. (You can read about how the aftermarket is making several reinforcement brackets for the windshield, which is necessary with the Puig).

I then moved onto the Aeroflow. Quiet and calm air. Enough flow to make it interesting, but not too much. It's ugly and expensive, but well worth it IMO. The air is so clean there is absolutely no need for any extra brackets or reinforcement.

:thumb

Aero Flow

I had an Aeroflow on my 2010 GSA and really enjoyed the riding pocket it created. That shield was much more difficult to install as it had special hardware. I returned with a 2016 GSA and put the Aeroflow Tall Touring shield with the wings and air deflectors. Had to do the shield reinforcement pieces from Ztechnik. All in all around $500. A little pricey..........I am on the touring side of the fence rather than trail. I am 6'2"and now have a happy place with minimal turbulence.

Height and inseam.

Great information Hodadd. Very Helpful. How tall are you and what is your inseam?

I tried several before settling on the Aeroflow. This is by far my favorite.

For me, the stock windshield was okay. The air was clean, but it was loud due to excessive wind noise at highway speeds. So, I went searching for an alternative.

I first tried the GSA tall shield. I didn't like it at all. I got turbulence and a ton of dirty air.

I then tried the stock windshield with a Puig deflector on top. That wasn't bad, but it was still not calm enough for what I wanted for touring.

Next up, I tried the Puig shield. I hated it. It got tons of turbulence which caused the whole mounting bracketry to bounce around in a not so good way. (You can read about how the aftermarket is making several reinforcement brackets for the windshield, which is necessary with the Puig).

I then moved onto the Aeroflow. Quiet and calm air. Enough flow to make it interesting, but not too much. It's ugly and expensive, but well worth it IMO. The air is so clean there is absolutely no need for any extra brackets or reinforcement.

:thumb

I also wanted a bit more protection than the OEM windshield offerred, which was good, but I knew I could do better.
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam, weigh in at 198lbs and wear a 54 Rukkha or Dainese jacket. My 2016 GS is standard height with the seat in the lower position at the back, and at the upper position at the front (making it more level) I also run the suspension on 'hard' and setup for rider plus luggage as I have my Jesse luggage mounted all the time.
I opted to try an OEM GSA screen on the GS and am very happy with it. It pushes the wind around my shoulders and over my head. It keeps wind noise down and I feel no buffeting when I'm in clean air.

2016 r1200 GSWH ztecnick wind shield

Got the Z-Technik windshield in from National Cycle (two days later than cited. (somebody messed up) Really? Anyway install was simple and quick four screws remove and reinstall. Plastex sp/ to clean up with. 5'10" 31" inseam and with the 19" screen in the high position and the bike seat in the low position my nose is level with the top of the screen. definite improvement from the OEM screen in undisturbed air and also in wind and rain. $120 delivered to my door. I think this will serve me well unless I get behind a semi in the rain. I appreciate the input from everyone

windscereen choice

I'm interested in knowing what you end up choosing as I'm already wanting to change the screen on the '17 GSA.

Wen with the Ztechnik 19" screen I have it raised about 75% of the way. I can see over it well and in calm air it is real quiet. Cons;idering the type of bike I ride it will serve me well.

Back