Thread: Convert Corbin Heated Seat connector to BMW Connector - 2007 K1200GT

Convert Corbin Heated Seat connector to BMW Connector - 2007 K1200GT

Hello.

I am purchasing a used heated Corbin seat that has barrel type connectors. I was wondering if anyone knows of a repair cable so I can convert the Corbin seat connector into the BMW Connector to plug right into the existing plug on the bike. I am sure I could spice in a couple of barrel connectors to the existing wiring, but I was trying to avoid that. I would much rather convert the seat to match the bike.

Thanks

You should be able to identify the proper repair plug here at Max BMW. Up top, select on "61- Electrical System", Then, on the left, scroll down and select one of the two boxes labelled "REPAIR CABLE MAIN CABLE HARNESS". Pictures and part numbers will then be on the right. Or the parts guy at the dealer should be able to help.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Not sure I understand the question. Did the seat come with a controller and you are asking about wiring the controller so it can be plugged into the BMW accessory socket, or are you talking about directly connecting the seat to the wiring harness connector that the OEM seat uses? The first scenario would likely be done with an off-the-shelf adapter from a vendor like warmnsafe.com. The latter would be much more difficult to do and given the way BMW wires heated seats would likely leave you with only one heat level available. Can you clarify your project?
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

My bike has OEM heated seats. I am purchasing a heated Corbin seat replacement. I would like to change the connector on the aftermarket Corbin so it can plug into the OEM connector already on my bike. Thanks for your help.

Here is the connector on the Cobra seat I got. I would like to convert this to the regular BMW connector, so I can simply plug into the bike.

DSC01755.jpg

Make Adapter so you can use stock seat and Corbin seat.

I finally got an answer from Corbin.

I need to make an adapter out the current plug that is on the bike that will allow me to use either the stock seat or the Corbin, heated seats.

Here are the instructions, for future reference.

http://www.corbin.com/bmw/install_bmw-k12-gt-f.pdf

Step 7, "electrical shortage"....? I guess that's one way of saying it...

Found instructions on how to convert the seat to BMW Connector

After some more searching, I found this blog post. I just ordered the connector, and will see if this does indeed work to convert the Corbin to the BMW Plug.

http://www.airheadmoto.com/tips/rhea...at-to-bmw.html

I will update once the connector arrives.

I like that solution much better than Corbin's, since the factory wiring harness is not cut and spliced. A future return to stock will be plug-and-play. Another option would be to splice the BMW connector directly to the Corbin seat, cutting off the current bullet connectors. It's not as if the seat would ever be used on a non-BMW bike, so you could eliminate potential problems from the extra connection.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by sullycuse View Post
    After some more searching, I found this blog post. I just ordered the connector, .
    Did you miss reading post #2?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Did you miss reading post #2?
    Hi Lee. I had seen that post, however, I could not determine which connector I needed by those pictures. #9 seems to be the one, however, the description on the link you sent says it is for "Function: 2-pole for brake-light switch, wheel-speed sensor." I was not sure if it would work for the heated seat.

Thanks for your input.

Krmugin
    I ordered the heated seat connector from A$S BMW, then spliced it into the corbin wiring. Now, it works with the factory controls.