• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmet questions.

I am wondering how long a helmet really lasts. The companies say about 5 years(obviously no accidents or dropping) but is that a marketing ploy or truth?
Also, what brand(s) are recommended? Probably very subjective but maybe not; quality, features, quietness, weight.
My HJC modular is 6 years old and seems fine to me although I'm wondering about weight and quietness in an improvement from the HJC helmet.
Thanks for your input.

I believe the part that deteriorates is the Styrofoam padding...the part that crushes when your head hits the pavement.

I'd consider a new helmet anyway. In six years, there's been huge improvements in weight, ventilation, comfort and noise reduction.

A good place to start is webBikeWorld in their helmet reviews. They'll also tell you whether the helmet is designed for a narrow head or wide head. Just like shoes, helmets are made for different shaped heads.

Chris

I am wondering how long a helmet really lasts. The companies say about 5 years(obviously no accidents or dropping) but is that a marketing ploy or truth?
Also, what brand(s) are recommended? Probably very subjective but maybe not; quality, features, quietness, weight.
My HJC modular is 6 years old and seems fine to me although I'm wondering about weight and quietness in an improvement from the HJC helmet.
Thanks for your input.

You ask a good and common question, and Welcome to the Forum. Good information and urban myths abound, so here's a brief primer.

The foam in helmets has moisture forced into it as part of the manufacturing process. Under normal conditions (notice, I didn't say normal use - whether you wore it twice in the last 3 years or 6 times a week, not as big a factor as some think), the foam, which acts to cushion rebound trauma to your brain (has nothing to do with protection from external impact - that is what the hard shell is for) begins to dry out with age.

After about 5 years (one Japanese manufacturer will 'conditionally' warranty for 7), the cushioning integrity has degraded due to a wide variety of factors, i.e. broad changes in ambient temp, aerosols in the air, petroleum vapors and other environmental pollutants, contaminants (dirt), sweat, air flow, UV rays, humidity, etc. It begins to become too hard (dense) to be of proper protection value for cranial trauma and will eventually begin to powder.

As for dropping a helmet, it takes quite a bit of energy to deform the foam beneath that polycarbonate or carbon-fiber shell, so a simple "Oops" from waist height has not ruined a helmet, albeit may have marked it up or scratched artistic graphics.

At the Road America racetrack where I instruct (and for racetracks elsewhere around the world), Pit Marshalls have to inspect the date and Snell ratings of racer's helmets before the start of any sanctioned motorcycle event, and affix a sticker to the chin bar to verify age compliance - it's that important - not "hype or a marketing scheme."

With an HJC (they make nice products) lid 6 years old, you should be shopping this spring for a new helmet. There are many decent helmets on the market, so find one that fits you well, is quiet, has both DOT and Snell ratings and offers features you value. Just be sure to dig around beneath the soft foam to find the "Date of Production." Doesn't really pay to invest in a helmet that has been sitting on the dealer's shelf for 2 years! Insist on a new one.

I have 6 different lids currently in the garage (I do a lot of product testing for 2 magazines I write for), but gravitate to Shoei for my primary helmet of choice. Have nearly gone thru the 5-yr. lifespan on two of them and very pleased. :thumb

Last edited:
There are so many things to consider... What features to you want? What features can you live without?

Very important is what helmet fits your head shape. There are lots of great helmets out there, but the shape needs to fit your head.

I have a 'long oval' head, and will be looking at the new Klim modular when my helmet has aged out. It's incredibly light, and I really like the photocromic lens. You don't need a drop down visor, or tinted visor to switch out when it gets dark or rains. My Schuberth C3 Pro is great, but it is much heavier than the Klim, and the drop down visor both obstructs ventilation on hot days and is not dark enough on bright days.

Thank you for your replies

Thanks for the input. I didn't do much shopping for my first helmet, just bought one at the dealer that fit me. It is a good helmet but I'm sure there are better ones out there now.
So now I get to have some fun shopping.

Don't you just hate it that we have never standardized the month/date/year sequence? This thread moved me to dig out my Shoei RF-1000, my current helmet. Took a little digging but found "Production Date 090119." Unless someone knows better, I would think the 19 is definitive for the day. Also know I haven't had the helmet since 2001. SO, that number must mean 2009, Jan. 19. It also means the sucker is -oops - now over 8 years old. It is in pristine condition - love the pinlock visor, no scratches anywhere, and it still fits great. Guess I will have to decide whether to trash this old friend because the Styrofoam may not be up to the task if my head meats the blacktop.

Don't you just hate it that we have never standardized the month/date/year sequence? This thread moved me to dig out my Shoei RF-1000, my current helmet. Took a little digging but found "Production Date 090119." Unless someone knows better, I would think the 19 is definitive for the day. Also know I haven't had the helmet since 2001. SO, that number must mean 2009, Jan. 19. It also means the sucker is -oops - now over 8 years old. It is in pristine condition - love the pinlock visor, no scratches anywhere, and it still fits great. Guess I will have to decide whether to trash this old friend because the Styrofoam may not be up to the task if my head meats the blacktop.

From this link

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/faq/

Where can I find the Production Date of my SHOEI helmet?
The Production Date is located on a sticker under the center pad of your helmet. For example: 150919 means September 19th of 2015.

Like most of my gear (and my bikes), I usually keep my helmets looking showroom-new, right up until the day I replace them.

But I replace them.

Better that the only 'pain' you feel is parting with such a fine-looking piece of gear, vs. the trauma you'd deal with in a crash, wearing a 'concrete lid.' :nono

... find one that fits you well, is quiet, has both DOT and Snell ratings and offers features you value...
While I agree with Kevin to get the most/best certification you can, unfortunately, there are two features that I like in a helmet that preclude it from getting a Snell rating (as I understand it, neither feature will pass current Snell testing protocols).
  • Modular Helmet - Flip-front
  • Integrated sun visor

For me, both of these are quite valuable and that is one reasonI have a Schuberth C3. However, I also have an Arai Vector II which is a full-face helmet, but at least I added their great "Pro Shade" which is an external sun visor that works almost as well as the internal ones in most areas and better in two.

Where it is better is:
  • in light rain, you can ride with it partially raised to act similar to a peak on a ball cap. Behind a full fairing touring bike it will keep the face shield a bit drier than otherwise.
  • when riding all day in the summer when there are a lot of bugs, my visor sometimes gets messy enough that I have to stop between gas stops to clean it. With the "Pro Shade", again, you can sometimes raise it up and have a clean visor to extend your riding until you need gas.

YMMV.

So, when your helmet times out, do you just throw it in the trash?

My wife bought a helmet 8 yeas ago and decided to not ride after getting her license. As my skills as and new rider have improved, she had taken a ride with me twice recently. I have become quite fond of her after 36 years so I am thinking she will need a new helmet? If it is not any good for her, I can't pass it on to anyone else?

As for the modular Schuberth C-3, I thought that it was the first modular to pass Snell testing? I have one that is 6 years old. What the heck, I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2017 RT. What's another 5-600 dollars........

John

So, when your helmet times out, do you just throw it in the trash?

My wife bought a helmet 8 yeas ago and decided to not ride after getting her license. As my skills as and new rider have improved, she had taken a ride with me twice recently. I have become quite fond of her after 36 years so I am thinking she will need a new helmet? If it is not any good for her, I can't pass it on to anyone else?

As for the modular Schuberth C-3, I thought that it was the first modular to pass Snell testing? I have one that is 6 years old. What the heck, I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2017 RT. What's another 5-600 dollars........

John

I'd might pass on a helmet that is 2-3 years old, or one that was unsatisfactory because of fit, but not one that is being replaced because of age.

Imagine the conversation: "Well, this was a pretty good helmet, but it's a little old and I don't trust it to protect MY head. Would you like it?" I cannot imagine anything good happening after I've suggested their head is worth less than mine.

My old helmets go in the trash, after the chin straps are cut off, and sometimes after shell has been attacked with my reciprocating saw. If it isn't safe for me, no one will be using it.

Have there been any published tests which prove that helmets are no longer "PROTECTIVE" after X years?

/Guenther

They're great for indoor Karting, especially if the place is running gas karts. Far better than the helmets available at the karting places. So could be for your own use or pas it on to someone else for that purpose. Typically much better safety cushioning with no hard objects around compared to outdoor tracks.

That's what I used to use mine for, but don't do that anymore, so now they just collect dust.

So, the shelf life of a helmet is 1/2 that of a quart of motor oil?

For me, a helmet is old when the interior padding fails to provide an effective (i.e., firm) fit to my head.

A mind can not be replaced, a motor can. ;-)

Not doing so is playing Russian Roulette (albeit with a 100,000+ chamber bullet cylinder) whether one likes to admit it or not. A decent brand new Snell 2015 certified helmet can be had for $150 (HJC CL-17, etc). That is just $30/yr over 5 years. No way anyone could get me to play Russian Roulette for $30/yr!!!

I currently have two friends who have significantly reduced function due to concussions, neither of which were caused by blows that would likely be as severe as going off your bike at say 30 mph. One will never work again, the other appears to be getting better, but it has been a slow and tedious several months and no one knows how much more progress will be made.

For me, my misspent youth, and early-mid adulthood have resulted in 7 concussions (racing bikes & cars, etc.). I am very lucky that I'm still functional but I do notice the effects and they are no fun. I age-out my helmets every 5 years.

For anyone concerned about the crash worthyness of their older helmets, Arai will test your Arai helmet for you to verify if it is still safe after a significant fall or small spill, etc. Don't know what the fee is but presume there is one, also don't know if they offer that service for non-Arai helmets.

While I agree with Kevin to get the most/best certification you can, unfortunately, there are two features that I like in a helmet that preclude it from getting a Snell rating (as I understand it, neither feature will pass current Snell testing protocols).
  • Modular Helmet - Flip-front
  • Integrated sun visor

For me, both of these are quite valuable and that is one reasonI have a Schuberth C3. However, I also have an Arai Vector II which is a full-face helmet, but at least I added their great "Pro Shade" which is an external sun visor that works almost as well as the internal ones in most areas and better in two.

Where it is better is:
  • in light rain, you can ride with it partially raised to act similar to a peak on a ball cap. Behind a full fairing touring bike it will keep the face shield a bit drier than otherwise.
  • when riding all day in the summer when there are a lot of bugs, my visor sometimes gets messy enough that I have to stop between gas stops to clean it. With the "Pro Shade", again, you can sometimes raise it up and have a clean visor to extend your riding until you need gas.

YMMV.

As I mentioned earlier, Alan - the features you value are important considerations for a helmet purchase. If a modular design and sun shade top your list, then look at a quality helmet that includes that design.

As for 'standardized testing,' the 3 major standards differ. DOT is a minimum, with SNELL an independent "raising of the bar." ECE is a hybrid of both worlds, and globally, is the most common endorsement.

The Schuberth C4 is a modular that is ECE certified. Something to consider?

The locking mechanisms on modulars need to be more robust for me to trust that ,after a major crash/slide, my jawline and face are still going to be recognizable. I'll stay with a non-modular full face for now. :wave

Last time I looked into Snell certification of modular helmets it appeared Snell had not tested a modular helmet and had no plans to do so. Their rationale for not testing seemed unclear.

Helmet questions

As I mentioned earlier, Alan - the features you value are important considerations for a helmet purchase. If a modular design and sun shade top your list, then look at a quality helmet that includes that design.

As for 'standardized testing,' the 3 major standards differ. DOT is a minimum, with SNELL an independent "raising of the bar." ECE is a hybrid of both worlds, and globally, is the most common endorsement.

The Schuberth C4 is a modular that is ECE certified. Something to consider?

The locking mechanisms on modulars need to be more robust for me to trust that ,after a major crash/slide, my jawline and face are still going to be recognizable. I'll stay with a non-modular full face for now. :wave

Hello Kevin,

WRT, modular helmet chin bar locks.......not all are created equal ! Some are plastic latches on both the helmet and the chinbar. The Schuberth modular helmets feature a robust metal to metal latching mechanism and they fit my head shape perfectly. If I crash face first hard enough to break the metal to metal connection I probably have lots of other problems to worry about...or not ! I think I trust the ECE certification of the Schuberth helmet enough to not worry about the lack of SNELL certification.

Friedle

Back