• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pictures of How to Tie Down a 2016 R1200RT on a trailer

217don

Any pictures out there or posts on the best way to tie down a 2016 RT in the event it must be trailered?

Don't have anything on the Wetheads, but this is a BMW corporate document that A&S BMW provide on their website:
http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/Tiedown2.pdf

It is for the early oilheads, but will definitely give you some good info and their pictures do help. I've used this method on several bikes but the only BMW was my 2004 R1150RT where it worked very well.

Tie Downs

Key is the front wheel chock and straps tied so they pull bike forward into chock and out to the side as much as possible also as high as possible. I don't compress the suspension have in past straps usually seem to loosen if I do back straps I usually use luggage rack for tie down points. Also I have a covered trailer which makes a difference straps out in wind seem to work loose more quickly. Part about keeping back wheel from sliding out also important. Get good quality straps, I use cam lock straps lots of choices, have in past had bike front wheel against front rail of trailer used 2 2x4 screwed to trailer floor against sides of tires to control sideways movement it is mostly trial and no errors. Last go to your dealer ask or watch lots of bike coming and going on trailers.

Pictures and precautions are in the owner's manual. Page 93 for the 2014 RT.

Look for "Fastening motorcycle for transport".

Straps go over the fork bridge, just over the front wheel - never on the handlebars. The cast bar mounts can break, and the fairing can interfere anyway. Rear straps through the passenger peg mounts.

Any pictures out there or posts on the best way to tie down a 2016 RT in the event it must be trailered?

Doesn't your owner's manual give you some guidance? I've got a '15 GSA, and the manual has a section on how to tie down the bike. Here's what it says to do (the manual has a couple of diagrams too, including on a trailer). Bear in mind that the RT procedure may be different than what's described here!

"Fastening Motorcycle for Transport

Protect all components over which straps are run against abrasion, e.g. using adhesive tape or soft cloths.

When jacking up the vehicle it can tip away to the side and fall over.
Secure motorcycle against tipping to the side, preferably with the assistance of a second person.
Push motorcycle onto transport surface, and do not place on side stand or center stand.

Riding Components can be damaged. Do not squeeze components such as brake lines or wiring harnesses.
Fasten front straps to both sides of the handlebars. Guide straps through leading link and then tension.
Fasten rear straps on both sides to the passenger footpegs and then tighten them. Tension all straps evenly; the vehicle should be pulled down against its springs with the suspension compressed as much as possible."

When I've ferried the bike I've tied down over the fork bridge, pulling the bike forward against the chock/wall/whatever you have to block forward motion.

Doesn't your owner's manual give you some guidance? I've got a '15 GSA, and the manual has a section on how to tie down the bike. Here's what it says to do (the manual has a couple of diagrams too, including on a trailer). Bear in mind that the RT procedure may be different than what's described here!

"Fastening Motorcycle for Transport

Protect all components over which straps are run against abrasion, e.g. using adhesive tape or soft cloths.

When jacking up the vehicle it can tip away to the side and fall over.
Secure motorcycle against tipping to the side, preferably with the assistance of a second person.
Push motorcycle onto transport surface, and do not place on side stand or center stand.

Riding Components can be damaged. Do not squeeze components such as brake lines or wiring harnesses.
Fasten front straps to both sides of the handlebars. Guide straps through leading link and then tension.
Fasten rear straps on both sides to the passenger footpegs and then tighten them. Tension all straps evenly; the vehicle should be pulled down against its springs with the suspension compressed as much as possible."

See page 108 of wethead owner's manual. Then consider the forum advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally disagree with this statement re: an RTW. No way, unless you want to bend the handlebars.

Agree with this statement.

Precisely why I warned the OP to confirm that it applied to his RT, even though this is what's recommended for my GSA. Presumably because of the different bars. When all else fails, RTFM.

Not a wethead, but - if I tied Voni's R1100RS down by the handlebars the cast aluminum pieces would probably break at the first good bump.

Back