Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Basecamp / GPS / Google Maps

Garmin Basecamp / GPS / Google Maps

is it just me or does anyone else HATE Basecamp?

I can't figure it out at all...............total frustration!

I'm not all the tech savory to begin with but this program is killing me!

Does anyone know how to convert a google map to GPX?

tks,
    Jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Have a peek here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...utorial-Videos
    May help ya.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    is it just me or does anyone else HATE Basecamp?

I can't figure it out at all...............total frustration!

I'm not all the tech savory to begin with but this program is killing me!

tks,
    Jason
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that BC is not a Windows product and doesn't "think" like one.
    OM's suggestion to review those tutorials is a good one.
    Also here is another excellent resource: http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf
    Trust me when I say that once you get the hang of it you'll find its a very powerful program and you'll not go back.
    The key is once you learn the basics, just keep using it and it will all fall into place.
    I use it exclusively.

But in answer to your original question, here is a link to a program that many use to convert to .gpx: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Good luck!
    Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous.
    It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

Thanks for the links everyone..................
    I'm jumping in with both feet so I'm ready when the snow melts!
    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

No. Not everybody hates Basecamp. Some of us simply refuse to even try it. Powerful shmowerful. I don't need powerful. Powerful means complicated. The only things I do with Mapsource is store waypoints as a backup and to load when I get a new GPS; and to load a track every now and then so I can review it on my computer. For trip planning on my computer I use a 1990's version of Street Atlas USA.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 03-12-2017 at 04:37 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I checked into this maybe 5 years ago and google did not have that function for some reason. Mapquest did, however, and I used that for several years. Recently, I think last year, Mapquest took away that function.

I just got a Nav V which I believe includes Basecamp but I have yet to use it so can't help you there. Hopefully I can save you some time messing with google and Mapquest. I would love to be wrong about this, so hopefully someone will pipe up and tell us this function has been restored.
    14 R1200GS, 02 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    No. Not everybody hates Basecamp. Some of us simply refuse to even try it. Powerful shmowerful. I don't need powerful. Powerful means complicated. The only things I do with Mapsource is store waypoints as a backup and to load when I get a new GPS; and to load a track every now and then so I can review it on my computer. For trip planning on my computer I use a 1990's version of Street Atlas USA.
    I agree with you 100%!
    BaseCamp is not for everyone.
    It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

tks,
    Jason
    There are several free PC-based converters, including GPSBabel, ITNConverter, and Tyre. The last two will not only convert most GPS file formats, but are also good route planners. RoadRunner Magazine has several useful tutorials on route planning with Tyre on YouTube - look especially for the "Best Practices" and "Designing Your Own Route" series.

GPSVisualizer is an online converter, so it will work from Apple and Android devices.

Furkot is an online route planner that will also convert Google's KML files to GPX, but is a bit complex. (A good tool to learn in the winter when you can't ride.) It does a very nice job of planning right down to picking fuel stops, meals and lodging.

When using any non-Garmin converter/planner, be sure to check your planned route against the actual route displayed when loaded on your GPS. Different algorithms and maps may produce different results.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Definitely, BaseCamp is an acquired taste.

I've been trying to like it for a couple of years, but still no love. Just extremely counter-intuitive for me, so it takes me too long to get comfortable with it and if I don't use it for a few months it is back to a frustrating learning curve.

Yes, it is extremely powerful, and I truly wish I meshed with its way of doing things better, but it is so frustrating that I avoid it.

As for converting KML / KMZ files to GPX files, as has been mentioned, there are several good options. I use GPSBabel and Tyre. For me, Tyre is my preferred converter. It is bigger and more cumbersome than GPSBabel, but I prefer using it for some unexplained / unknown reason. I also use it to convert CSV and TomTom OV2 POI files into Garmin POI files (GPI). Very easy to make your own POI files in CSV and then just convert.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I for one use Basecamp regularly and find it a great trip planning tool. It can be used in many different ways from storing waypoints, to trip planning. Yes, Basecamp can be quirky but reboot your PC every now and then. It seems to mellow the "quirkiness." Another annoying thing Basecamp and my GPS do often is route me to an off-ramp only to get right back on again. So now I try to understand my route in advance to avoid these annoying quirks.

As for the haters... some folks have different skills than others - not better - just different. Some embrace technology some reject it. The reality is that tech is here to stay. It's your choice whether to use it or not. The old fashioned way - paper maps - works as does the tech way - a GPS. To make either work you've got to use your brain, relying on yourself not a map or a device.
    -don
    "If you don't treat yourself right, no one else will."
    '06 R1200RT, '13 F800GS, and '16 R1200GSA (wife's)

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nakwakto00 View Post
    I for one use Basecamp regularly and find it a great trip planning tool. It can be used in many different ways from storing waypoints, to trip planning. Yes, Basecamp can be quirky but reboot your PC every now and then. It seems to mellow the "quirkiness." Another annoying thing Basecamp and my GPS do often is route me to an off-ramp only to get right back on again. So now I try to understand my route in advance to avoid these annoying quirks.

As for the haters... some folks have different skills than others - not better - just different. Some embrace technology some reject it. The reality is that tech is here to stay. It's your choice whether to use it or not. The old fashioned way - paper maps - works as does the tech way - a GPS. To make either work you've got to use your brain, relying on yourself not a map or a device.
    Having spent a lifetime working in the software and hardware industries I have to say that Basecamp is poorly written and counterintuitive to the extreme. It would never survive if it had any real competition. The fact that some find it 'buggy' and requires rebooting the hardware it runs on means it is also guilty of poor memory management and/or competing or poorly designed subroutines. I could use it - after all is is but another program 'language' to learn, but I don't because the idea that a company can get away with poor programming due to size of market and lack of competition drives me crazy. I combine a GPS, Smart Phone and Maps without the hours/days of planning. And no, I am not averse to new technology or software - quite the opposite - just averse to bad software. As in all things though YMMV.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by nakwakto00 View Post

The choices are far more diverse than a paper map or tech dichotomy. Far greater. I posted earlier that I have limited use for PC based Garmin software. That said I am not anti GPS. I got my first one in 1997 or 1998 and used it in the 1999 Iron Butt Rally. It was a Garmin III - predecessor to the III+. Since then I have had a couple of III+, a V, a Street Pilot (the black and white model), a Street Pilot III Colormap, a couple of Nuvi 265s, a 276c, a 2610, a 2720 and a Zumo 660.

I routinely ride with a map in my tank bag and two GPS units mounted - one with a data table displayed and the other routing to one or more waypoints. But I don't build routes on my PC because they often fail to match up with the GPS even though Garmin claims the maps are the same. So for routing I either use or make a way point and route to it. Often it is my destination, with one or more via points to shape the routing. For the bigger picture I use a map or a non-Garmin mapping program on my computer. This just happens to be the easy way for me to navigate with the GPS.

For navigation I have accumulated about 300 personally marked waypoints at campgrounds, rally sites, stores, friends homes, hotels, etc across the US and Canada. And of course the ability to find/mark Cities and Points of Interest, and to enter a new address, or coordinates. I don't need Garmin software to do any of this. I much prefer Street Atlas USA or Streets and Trips for overall planning. Occasionally I have done routes on Mapsource for planning purposes but never load the route to my GPS because of the reason I mentioned above.

If I were still doing competitive long-distance rally riding I might embrace the technology further for the sake of saving time trying to route to 40 or 50 bonus locations. But since I am now usually interested in going to one or two locations, I just use waypoints and via points.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 03-13-2017 at 03:25 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

On a whim, I installed Basecamp. The first thing it told me is that my version of OpenGL is out of date...on a new laptop. I was limited to 2D maps. After spending some time trying to find out what my installed version of OpenGL was, I decided to simply use the 2D maps. I was only trying to find out how difficult it was to use.

I zoomed in on the area I normally ride in. I know what roads are available and wanted to see what Basecamp would suggest. Hmm...only about 1 percent of the available roads in the area were displayed.

Okay. I'm done. I can easily go to Google Maps, plot my route there, then save waypoints on my GPS to force it to take the same route.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    On a whim, I installed Basecamp. The first thing it told me is that my version of OpenGL is out of date...on a new laptop. I was limited to 2D maps. After spending some time trying to find out what my installed version of OpenGL was, I decided to simply use the 2D maps. I was only trying to find out how difficult it was to use.

I zoomed in on the area I normally ride in. I know what roads are available and wanted to see what Basecamp would suggest. Hmm...only about 1 percent of the available roads in the area were displayed.

Okay. I'm done. I can easily go to Google Maps, plot my route there, then save waypoints on my GPS to force it to take the same route.

Chris
    Did you install the detailed maps from your GPS into your PC for basecamp to use? If not. You only have the base map which is basically interstates until you bring the detailed maps from your GPS to the PC.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post

Chris
    Great that you took the plunge!
    Just a couple notes:
    OpenGL has to do with your graphics cards capabilities to display complex graphics.
    To be honest, you're not missing much by sticking with 2D...I have it and never use it.
    The suggestion is a good one...make sure map versions match.
    But! Thats not the reason you're not seeing the roads you want.
    Once you open BC, go to the upper left of the window and you will see the map detail dropdown.
    Set it to High, higher or highest and I bet you will see every road thats in the area...some you may not know exist!

Have fun!