Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank bag for plastic tank

Tank bag for plastic tank

I have a 1994 1100RS would like to get a tank bag need suggestions for what works best plastic tank main problem

Check out www.sw-motech.com I use the one with the locking ring on the fuel fill. I also got the one with electric. Twisted Throttle is where I got mine.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

While not an oilhead, I had the same issue on my F800GT. We used silicone to stick some rare earth magnets under the plastic, in line with the magnets on a small tank bag. It works very well. We did end up increasing the size of the magnets after a trip to make the attachment stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    While not an oilhead, I had the same issue on my F800GT. We used silicone to stick some rare earth magnets under the plastic, in line with the magnets on a small tank bag. It works very well. We did end up increasing the size of the magnets after a trip to make the attachment stronger.
    Not really an option on the R11xxRS. The tank you see is really the tank. the bag would need to reach to the fairings for that to work.

You might also consider the BMW tank bag for your bike. I've had mine since '02, and have used it for most of 100,000 miles with no issues.IMG_0079.jpg
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '00 R1100RS

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    Check out www.sw-motech.com I use the one with the locking ring on the fuel fill.
    Those are excellent and come in a variety of sizes, too.

I love how simple mine is at a fuel stop, it just clicks off and on.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

+1 on this. I too have the BMW bag on Der Bimmer and I must say, it works great. I especially like the mounting points and how it attaches to my plastic tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6322 View Post
    You might also consider the BMW tank bag for your bike. I've had mine since '02, and have used it for most of 100,000 miles with no issues.IMG_0079.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Der Bimmer ist wunderbar."

Tango Alpha
    2002 R1150RT

I use an RKA bag on my 11S. It is very well made, though a bit fiddly to get the harness attached initially. Richard got it to me very quickly before an impending trip to get the bike in Kentucky, excellent customer service. A lot of options and colors available...

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Try the Givi line of locking bags too. I looked at both the SW-Motech and Givi lines and ended up with the Givi XS308. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...nklock-tankbag

It has a decent amount of room for a few things on a day to day basis, plus expands to give you more room for things like an SLR camera. The exterior pockets give you room to put small things and keep them organized. For instance, I put my mail box key and garage door opener. No fumbling inside a large space for something small.

And one of the things you'll have to watch out for is that some locking tank bags have a flat bottom. Placed on top of a curved tank...it looks really dumb in my opinion. The Givi XS308 curves on the bottom, and looks good on the tank.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Tank bag

Thanks for the help I think will go with the Givi on a 1994 rsl anyone know for sure what tank ring it takes?
    Thanks again

Left Coast Rider
    The Givi reference list doesn't go back 23 years but my best guess is the BF11 which fits the 2001 R1150R and RT. Although I'm fairly certain that this is the one, you might want to find one of these bikes and compare their fuel caps to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Thanks for the help I think will go with the Givi on a 1994 rsl anyone know for sure what tank ring it takes?
    Thanks again
    If you're anal about the tank finish, go with a full-cover, like the Bagster
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Tank bag

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    If you're anal about the tank finish, go with a full-cover, like the Bagster
    Not worried about tank considering sticking some metal plates on tank so I can use cycle gear magnetic tank bag but can't decide on Velcro or glue for metal attachment points

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    ....considering sticking some metal plates on tank so I can use cycle gear magnetic tank bag but can't decide on Velcro or glue for metal attachment points
    You're kidding, right? Three days ago you said you were going to get a Givi with a locking tank ring.