• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank bag for plastic tank

I have a 1994 1100RS would like to get a tank bag need suggestions for what works best plastic tank main problem

While not an oilhead, I had the same issue on my F800GT. We used silicone to stick some rare earth magnets under the plastic, in line with the magnets on a small tank bag. It works very well. We did end up increasing the size of the magnets after a trip to make the attachment stronger.

While not an oilhead, I had the same issue on my F800GT. We used silicone to stick some rare earth magnets under the plastic, in line with the magnets on a small tank bag. It works very well. We did end up increasing the size of the magnets after a trip to make the attachment stronger.

Not really an option on the R11xxRS. The tank you see is really the tank. the bag would need to reach to the fairings for that to work.

You might also consider the BMW tank bag for your bike. I've had mine since '02, and have used it for most of 100,000 miles with no issues.IMG_0079.jpg

+1 on this. I too have the BMW bag on Der Bimmer and I must say, it works great. I especially like the mounting points and how it attaches to my plastic tank.
You might also consider the BMW tank bag for your bike. I've had mine since '02, and have used it for most of 100,000 miles with no issues.View attachment 60639

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 166
I use an RKA bag on my 11S. It is very well made, though a bit fiddly to get the harness attached initially. Richard got it to me very quickly before an impending trip to get the bike in Kentucky, excellent customer service. A lot of options and colors available...

Cheers!

Try the Givi line of locking bags too. I looked at both the SW-Motech and Givi lines and ended up with the Givi XS308. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-xs308-tanklock-tankbag

It has a decent amount of room for a few things on a day to day basis, plus expands to give you more room for things like an SLR camera. The exterior pockets give you room to put small things and keep them organized. For instance, I put my mail box key and garage door opener. No fumbling inside a large space for something small.

And one of the things you'll have to watch out for is that some locking tank bags have a flat bottom. Placed on top of a curved tank...it looks really dumb in my opinion. The Givi XS308 curves on the bottom, and looks good on the tank.

Chris

Tank bag

Thanks for the help I think will go with the Givi on a 1994 rsl anyone know for sure what tank ring it takes?
Thanks again

The Givi reference list doesn't go back 23 years but my best guess is the BF11 which fits the 2001 R1150R and RT. Although I'm fairly certain that this is the one, you might want to find one of these bikes and compare their fuel caps to yours.

Tank bag

If you're anal about the tank finish, go with a full-cover, like the Bagster

Not worried about tank considering sticking some metal plates on tank so I can use cycle gear magnetic tank bag but can't decide on Velcro or glue for metal attachment points

....considering sticking some metal plates on tank so I can use cycle gear magnetic tank bag but can't decide on Velcro or glue for metal attachment points

You're kidding, right? Three days ago you said you were going to get a Givi with a locking tank ring. :scratch

I am kidding about metal things will get givi and thanks for help on being anal that would not allow me to use a prairie farms milk crate for a rear trunk on my bike use reflective safety tape to cover property of prairie farms dairy.

Here's some photos to show you the bag, the mounting clips and attachment points. BMW also includes an expandable bag that zips on to the tank bag if it were needed. Personally, I've never needed or wanted to use that, especially given that I have more than ample room with my hard locking bags. When I ride solo on long trips, if I need extra room, I use a tail pack that sits on the passenger seat which attaches with bungie cords to the mounting points/tethers on my locking saddle bags. Hope this information helps you in making a decision on whether to buy a BMW bag or not.

Ride safe.

TA

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 42
+

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 42
  • fullsizeoutput_5989.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_5989.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 42
  • fullsizeoutput_598f.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_598f.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 41
Sorry about the photo orientation. For some reason these photos rotated orientation after uploading/attaching them. I looked for a utility on the forum to edit, rotate, etc the pics but couldn't find one. I took several photos for you, but as you probably know you can only upload 3 at a time. Started becoming tedious, so if you'd like me to email them more to you, please send me an IM and I will be happy to email them to you this weekend.

Hope you found this helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Tank bag

When I got my bike it at some point in time had same bag all that was left was part in front of seat with zipper ( as for pictures that rotate when you post, your still ahead of me I haven't gotten that far yet)

Back