• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Centerstand ooomph

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
Recently moved from a R12R to a R12GSW - the 12R was easy but with the GSW I can hardly get the bike on the centerstand - anyone have a trick or two??

I roll the rear tire onto a piece of wood that's about 6" x 18" x 3/4" thick. That makes it easier for me to get my bike on the center stand.

Cheers, Ken

Not sure how similar the GSW center-stand is to my RTW or my other bikes, but the real trick, is that it is mostly your body weight that is used to get it up on the stand.

This is what I do, it is fairly simple and if you're already doing it, sorry to not be of help.

Place the ball of your right foot, with boots or hard-soled shoes on the center-stand tab (move the stand down to the ground and rock the bike side to side lightly until you feel both feet of the center stand firmly on the ground). The left hand grips the left handlebar and right hand grips the bike or railing near the rear passenger area. Then, as you put most of your weight on your right foot, pull up and back with your hands. Shouldn't require a lot of effort, as much as a smooth and fluid motion. The BMW center-stands are designed to do most of the lifting part from your body weight going through your foot.

FWIW, I tend to leave my bike in 1st gear, so when I grab the handlebar, I also grab the clutch. Could be just a placebo, but I find that if I don't, it's harder to get the bike moving back and up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do it kind of like Alan Coles, only I bend slightly at the knees and lift with my legs. My back protests too much his way. :)

Recently moved from a R12R to a R12GSW - the 12R was easy but with the GSW I can hardly get the bike on the centerstand - anyone have a trick or two??

I can tell you, it isn't you....I went from an RT to a GS, back to RT...that GS is a different experience to centerstand.

I never had a bike with center stand, let alone anything like the weight of the GSA. Like Alan said, stand and pull using your body weight and arm to "pull open" the bike from the stand to railing. Best practice is to keep the handle bars straight, or a very slight turn to the right.

I just watched a view YouTube clips and had to practice a few times.
https://youtu.be/t6TGuO03wHM

This question pops all kinds of answers, most not so helpful.

How about not having a full tank of gas!

Sorry ..I could not help myself.

Ironically, BMW solved this problem for several decades with the K-brick flip-out handle and the integrated frame/seat hand-hold. Sadly, someone seems to have forgot something during the design of the newer models......

Last edited:
Centerstand Oooomph!

"Place the ball of your right foot, with boots or hard-soled shoes on the center-stand tab (move the stand down to the ground and rock the bike side to side lightly until you feel both feet of the center stand firmly on the ground). The left hand grips the left handlebar and right hand grips the bike or railing near the rear passenger area. Then, as you put most of your weight on your right foot, pull up and back with your hands. Shouldn't require a lot of effort, as much as a smooth and fluid motion. The BMW center-stands are designed to do most of the lifting part from your body weight going through your foot."

This is excellent advice plus you might try this too...If you have the electronic suspension, change the preload to the "two helmet" mode. By doing this the suspension reaches its tallest level. Then the effort to place the GS on the center stand is greatly reduced!!!

Ironically, BMW solved this problem for several decades with the K-brick flip-out handle and the integrated frame/seat hand-hold. Sadly, someone seems to have forgot something during design of the newer models......
Bummer......good innovations should be preserved

Nature abhors a vacuum and fortunately with our bikes, there is usually someone who makes an aftermarket part that will do the trick.

Wunderlich make a "Lifting Handle" for the GSW (and others): http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/26200201-202.html
Unfortunately, it isn't cheap ($160), but it might be what you want (just what the doctor ordered).

26200202b_540x360.jpg

26200202c_540x360.jpg

26200202d_540x360.jpg

Ok that's an alternative if I work with this and continue to struggle - thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The emphasis should be on driving your weight down on the centerstand rather than lifting. Save your arm and back. Rolling the bike backward 4-6 inches and then pushing the stand down while in motion can also build a little momentum to get over the hump.

I kind of like to find some sort of like point for my hand as the distance between my (right) hand and Right foot "expands". Sometimes you need to add a handle such as the one from Wunderlich-

8160453.jpg

While most of the work is done with the foot, I like my hand/arm in the best position to assist with stabilization during the lift.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=WA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8160453-454

OM

I kind of like to find some sort of like point for my hand as the distance between my (right) hand and Right foot "expands". Sometimes you need to add a handle such as the one from Wunderlich-

8160453.jpg

While most of the work is done with the foot, I like my hand/arm in the best position to assist with stabilization during the lift.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=WA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8160453-454

OM

:thumb
Got one from another vendor on my GSA I use more when I am putting it on the lift, or dealing with a flat . Definitely helps get a handle so to speak:lol

8160453.jpg

OM

Such a lift handle was OEM stock on K75s. :scratch

Back