Thread: Question: 70's Kickstart Transmissions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question: 70's Kickstart Transmissions

Did the 4 Speed Kickstart external shaft have a straight shaft lever, and the 5 Speed Kickstart have an offset shaft lever ? I can't remember.

I think I recall there were a few kickstart 5 Speeds made in a transition year.
    There were Gasp and (Guffaws ?) at the delima of having only an electric starter back then.

Charlie
    Last edited by 72r60/7; 03-09-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    Did the 4 Speed Kickstart shaft have a straight shaft lever, and the 5 Speed Kickstart have an
    offset shaft lever ? I can't remember.

I think I recall there were a few kickstart 5 Speeds made in a transition year.
    There were Gasp and (Guffaws ?) at the delima of having only an electric starter back then.

Charlie
    I assume you're talking about the kickstart pedal. I had a /5 and still have my R90s with a kicker. I know they're different. The /6 (R90s) is curved a bit and the /5 was straight I believe. Between the two tranny's, the 4 speed is much more robust in terms of kickstarting. The /6 system isn't up to repeated kickstarting as the shaft internal to the trans will bend over time.

It's not an issue because in nearly 40 years and 140k miles, I've had to actually use the kicker on the S, maybe six times.

RPG
    Yes, external.
    Will edit post to clarify.

Thanks
    Charlie

Yes, curved kickstart lever.

Found this 5 speed transmission on a '71 pulled out of the woods.

image.jpg

What was the last year that the '70's bikes had a Kickstarter ?

Charlie

Looks like a 4-speed /5 tranny with a '74 /6 kickstart lever. But then again I suffer from Oldtimers syndrome and I may be totally confused.

That's a 4-speed, and all of those had kickers. Kick was used on various models throughout nearly all of Airhead production: sometimes as an option, sometimes for a specific market, sometimes on a specific model.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia