• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1980 RT 100 Alternator Replacement , points and camshaft seal replacement

]Hello!
I replaced the alternator, points, and camshaft seal recently in my 1980 RT 100. I took a picture of the alternator/ points area before dismantling to be sure I put everything back in it's same orientation, however, after having charged the battery, and connecting everything the bike does not have juice when turning the key on... I am a novice in the electrical arena. Could you tell me how to check for electrical continuity in the system. Thank's so much for your help!

Best Wishes,
Bob

]Hello!
I replaced the alternator, points, and camshaft seal recently in my 1980 RT 100. I took a picture of the alternator/ points area before dismantling to be sure I put everything back in it's same orientation, however, after having charged the battery, and connecting everything the bike does not have juice when turning the key on... I am a novice in the electrical arena. Could you tell me how to check for electrical continuity in the system. Thank's so much for your help!

Best Wishes,
Bob

When you say "does not have juice" do you mean the instrument pod lights are not on?
The headlight does not function?
The starter won't turn?

Are you using BMW alternator or aftermarket?

Have you load tested the battery and know it to be good?
- Some might show 12VDC with a meter and then they drop well below 10 Volts when you turn anything on.

When you say "does not have juice" do you mean the instrument pod lights are not on?
The headlight does not function?
The starter won't turn?

Are you using BMW alternator or aftermarket?

Have you load tested the battery and know it to be good?
- Some might show 12VDC with a meter and then they drop well below 10 Volts when you turn anything on.

Yes, I do not have any electricity to the instrument panel, starter won't turn etc.. I purchased a new alternator from BMW and points.. I have not load tested the battery, but have had it on a slow charge.

1980 bww rt 100

Can someone help me by telling me how to circuit test the system? As noted above I replaced the alternator / points and I have no electricity now to start the bike. Needless to say I am not acquainted with electrical testing. I replaced the alternator with one from BMW as well as the points. I have had the battery on slow charge, I have checked the kill switch as well as the battery connection and all seem good. Please help me diagnose this issue. Thank You!

Bob

Bob -

So the starter doesn't even turn the engine over? Or do you mean you have no electricity to fire the spark plugs? Replacing the alternator should have little effect on starting the bike...you can run the bike on just the battery if necessary. So, it likely comes down to something with the points or the battery.

I assume you replaced the ROTOR of the alternator because you had an 'electricity problem' of some sort?

When you turn on ignition you don't even have a parking light?

Either your battery is not connected completely or, the battery is dead.

/Guenther

Back