• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200r rear brake

luckyfreddy

From luckyfreddy.Hi are the rear brakes on the k1200rweak or is there a problem with the bike .thanks any help would be great

The rear brake on both mine and my wife's 2011 K1300S was weak and had very little feel.

I stand corrected.

However, since good technique uses the rear brake sparingly and as a parking lot brake, BMW calls it a feature, not an issue.:banghead

The bias setting on the Wedge K's seem to be very light on the rear.
My first stop in gravel on my K12S to check the mail had me stop about 4 mailboxes late:banghead

The front OEM are sintered metal composition and the rear has no verbage of what they are. The GT's are still the only model that had the wear indicator lead for the dash warning and a wee higher cost.
I recall trying a HH rated rear set on mine, which helped a wee bit, but sure left a lot of dust and maybe more agressive rotor wear

Last edited:
luckyfreddy rear brake issue

Thanks everyone for the information.This is my first BMW im used to a rear brake that can stop the bike quick i have had many sport bikes and baggers. I love this bmw k1200r it handles wonderful on any road ive been on.but using the rear brake alone wont stop the bike but hit the front and it stops great,Im taking it in to Bobs BMW in maryland for maryland state inspection tomorrow hope they dont fail the brake system

Thanks everyone for the information.This is my first BMW im used to a rear brake that can stop the bike quick

Never had a bike where the rear brake alone would stop a bike quick, but the K1200 or K1300 rear brake is almost as good as dragging your feet :)

Back