Thread: K1200r rear brake

K1200r rear brake

From luckyfreddy.Hi are the rear brakes on the k1200rweak or is there a problem with the bike .thanks any help would be great

Quote Originally Posted by luckyfreddy View Post
    From luckyfreddy.Hi are the rear brakes on the k1200rweak or is there a problem with the bike .thanks any help would be great
    Some more detail would help, but, no the brake is not weak.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

The rear brake on both mine and my wife's 2011 K1300S was weak and had very little feel.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

The rear brake on my 1300GT is a little light too.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2009 K1300 GT
    2005 R1200RT - gone
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

I stand corrected.

However, since good technique uses the rear brake sparingly and as a parking lot brake, BMW calls it a feature, not an issue.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

The bias setting on the Wedge K's seem to be very light on the rear.
    My first stop in gravel on my K12S to check the mail had me stop about 4 mailboxes late

The front OEM are sintered metal composition and the rear has no verbage of what they are. The GT's are still the only model that had the wear indicator lead for the dash warning and a wee higher cost.
    I recall trying a HH rated rear set on mine, which helped a wee bit, but sure left a lot of dust and maybe more agressive rotor wear
    Last edited by henzilla; 03-08-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    Looks like the guys have you on the right track.
    Gary
    "I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Gary
    And that too!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

luckyfreddy rear brake issue

Thanks everyone for the information.This is my first BMW im used to a rear brake that can stop the bike quick i have had many sport bikes and baggers. I love this bmw k1200r it handles wonderful on any road ive been on.but using the rear brake alone wont stop the bike but hit the front and it stops great,Im taking it in to Bobs BMW in maryland for maryland state inspection tomorrow hope they dont fail the brake system

Thanks everyone for the information.This is my first BMW im used to a rear brake that can stop the bike quick
    Never had a bike where the rear brake alone would stop a bike quick, but the K1200 or K1300 rear brake is almost as good as dragging your feet
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT