Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this what I think it is?

Is this what I think it is? R100RS motorsport??

1488845382791-1716494385.jpg

I recently purchased a 1978 r100rs with 34000 miles sight unseen from San Diego and was perfectly happy when it arrived. Then I came across a bike for sale online with the same paint scheme as mine and saw it was called the motorsport edition which apparently is quite hard to come by. My bike has the paint scheme, fairing, white cases and blue seat. So, is this what I have? And is it worth more than I paid for it. This is my first motorcycle let alone my first airhead so any input will be helpful.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I can't help you other than- Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "I bought a ticket to the circus, I don't know why I was so surprised to see elephants" Norris Church Mailer
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Welcome to the forum! From what little you say and the picture, it does compare with the Motorsport models that were released. Hope you enjoy your piece of history!!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Nice bike

Enjoy your new ride; it is a beauty.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

I bet someone in the Airhead world will have a list of VINs that will tell you if it is a true Motorsport. I hope it is.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Nice score.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I bet someone in the Airhead world will have a list of VINs that will tell you if it is a true Motorsport. I hope it is.
    Don't think it exists...the Motorsports were intermixed with other bikes in production.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Nice motorcycle!
    If life throws you a curve; lean into it.

Easy to clone a Motorsport, but I bet yours is a true one. Another test is to look at the rear master cylinder. Is the hose that connects to it from the reservoir blue? Motorsports had a blue hose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Under the 40 years of funk it turns out the hose from the master cylinder is blue! But now I have a more important question and please don't scream blasphemy. I purchased this bike with the intention of creating the world's coolest garage built cafe racer. Although this is my first bike and I'm but a wee 26 years old, I am a service and repair plumber and no stranger to a wrench. I did my research for over a year and fell in love with everything about airheads and became borderline obsessed with this build. But knowing what I know now it seems like a bad idea to dismember this piece of history.

I've seen one motorsport sell for 13grand and another for sale for 9500. Mine looks like you would expect after being ridden for 34000 miles with little dings and cracks and such. Is it worth more than the 6grand I have in the bike or should I commence my project?

I think it would be a travesty to break this bike up into something other than it is. If you want a project, there are plenty of Airheads out there that are more of a blank canvas to start with...might even be cheaper in the end. And selling off the Motorsports parts just makes another bike out there a "fake" Motorsports. IMO, two wrongs don't make a right. Resell this bike...probably can flip it for more than you got and buy something else. That's my $0.02.

3 Red Bricks
    Hayden,

What you have, if you do nothing, will probably continue to increase in value (they only made a VERY limited amount of them and they're very desireable). If you do your project, it will probably decrease in value immediately and go down from there.

You don't take a '66 Shelby GT350 and heavily modify it. You take a standard '66 Mustang to go wild with.

Buy another (cheaper) airhead to get crazy with and keep this one stock (and valuable) and end up with the best of both worlds!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Brook Reams is freshening up a '77 RS on the airhead forum, very nice informative thread. Just a couple of threads away from yours. You probably have allready found it. Brook knows his way around a airhead. Read and enjoy.