• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Collective wisdom on G650GS?

JBBLI

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 G650GS with 950 mi on the odometer. She has been riding two-up with me on my 1200RT, and she decided that she wanted to learn and have some fun on her own.

The bike looks new (was used by previous owner to learn to ride and then traded in for a 1200GS), has a couple of adds, a headlight guard and side fairing protection bars, and all-in-all seems to be a damn fine ride for a light beginner bike that has some staying power.

I've only had a '13 800GT (24k mi) and now the '16 1200RT (2k mi), so I'm new to the thumper and chain world. I'm looking for suggestions on what to add, what to watch out for, and anything else worth knowing.

Your wife has a great bike for learning to ride and it is much, much more than a starter bike. My wife learned to ride on a 2007 and rode it between Alaska and the states and all around Alaska and the Yukon. The 650 thumper has been the bike of choice for several around the world rides and a couple of years ago was the bike used by the MOA women's mileage award winner (I suspect you'll hear from her on this thread). With only 950 miles on it I don't think you need worry much about anything. As far as what to add, I'd recommend not adding anything except some lighting for conspicuity and maybe a small tank bag. As she develops as a rider the need for any specific addition will become evident. Do some reading about chain maintenance. Keeping it clean is every bit as important as keeping it lubed; better a bit loose than tight.

Congratulations to your wife on a great start to riding.

First thing I did to my G650GS Sertao, after taking delivery, was to get rid of the OEM lead acid battery and replace it with an AGM battery. Far less maintenance as a result. As far as chain maintenance goes, I installed a Scottoiler chain lube system. The chain stays lubed and clean....a lot better than the tacky spray on lubes.

Congrats to your wife on her new bike!:) I'm on my fourth 650GS, and certainly have nothing negative to say about them. I have been riding for about 25 years, so I'm not just starting out. It is simply a great bike, and it is not just a "girls" bike as I know several guys who love them. I have always had a chain oiler, and it really seems to add to the life of the chain. I also have a taller windshield, as I travel a good bit and the stock "wind thingy" is useless. I would recommend that she take a MSF riders course since she is "new" to actually riding her own bike. It does make a difference. Hope she loves it!

Congrats to your wife on her new bike!:) I'm on my fourth 650GS, and certainly have nothing negative to say about them. I have been riding for about 25 years, so I'm not just starting out. It is simply a great bike, and it is not just a "girls" bike as I know several guys who love them. I have always had a chain oiler, and it really seems to add to the life of the chain. I also have a taller windshield, as I travel a good bit and the stock "wind thingy" is useless. I would recommend that she take a MSF riders course since she is "new" to actually riding her own bike. It does make a difference. Hope she loves it!

I completely agree with the sentiment that this is not just a "girls" bike. I've been riding it a bit (My wife takes the MSF-equivalent course here in WA in a couple of weeks so I have it to myself for now!), and I love the nimbleness and control that this bike inspires. I can imagine taking this bike places the RT will likely never roll. I'll gladly keep my bike, but won't mind at all if I "have" to ride the 650 every few days... <grin>.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2014 with 30k miles. Rode it to Eagle Plains last yr. Ive put on a Camelion chain oiler. Takes the work out of lubing and cleaning. I also have a Bead Rider, which is great. Skeen Design makes some nice lighting options.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Great bike. I had two - F models. Voni had one. Ardys had one after wearing out a few R1100RT bikes. So it is not only a starter bike but a great bike for experienced riders too. Other than a possible but not probable alternator stator failure these bikes have very few warts.

And there's even a BMW MOA Virtual Club dedicated to these thumper models - The Chain Gang #650

f650.com

Chain Gang Inmates have torn these bikes down, put 'em back together, and have even been known to share good small batch bourbon with their single cylinder brethren.

I like my boxer, but I love my big thumper.

Congrats on the Thumper

JBBLI - Congratulations to your wife on the purchase of her 650GS. I agree with all the previous posters about the range this bike can handle. My wife started on a F650GS that is now our daughters. I still have my '06 F650 Dakar and love it's versatility. In Arkansas there are many many great gravel and unpaved road surfaces once you get deep in the country. The Dakar handles it all. Best camping bike made because if you drop it you can pick it up!

Enjoy!

Back