• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone Carry a Satphone that Connects with Your Helmet?

boltgunner

I think I may have made a mistake buying the Schuberth SRC with my C3 a while back (as of late the SRC and the iPhone 6+ don't do too well together). I am starting to think I want to investigate a satphone-to-helmet combo, due to lots of cel-less land in SW USA and having to be reached by family without the hassles. Anyone have some experience with a must-have comm requirement when riding in the boonies?

The latest generation of the SPOT tracking device has the ability to interface with a smart phone to send texts via satellite. I don't know the details of how it works or cost.

I can't imagine why getting such communication capability linked to a helmet is so critical, but to each their own. :scratch

I have found that one woman who is programmed to call when you are off the grid and expects you to pick up now. You know the words "it's complicated"? I wish it were not, but it is. Don't beat me up because I'm not you. I'm just trying to see if there is a possible solution. If there isn't, then I tried to see what my options are.

Try looking into the DeLorme inReach units. They offer two-way communications. The SPOT system is only one-way, I think.

A world-wide satphone is another option. Just make sure it has bluetooth and it'll connect to your helmet bluetooth system.

Chris

Get real. There vast parts of this country where cell service is a joke - incliding my house. A Sat Phone is only slightly better. Get used to it. Use a map. Check the phone in towns. Forget the havta be connected bull crapola. (Paul)

Paul you are so obtuse. Can you just tell us in simple, plain English what you really think? :boldpurpl

I have no direct experience with sat phones, but seeing how the helmet to phone connection is typically via bluetooth, I'd start the inquiry there. Good luck, with your search.

"I dream of the day when a question, posed on the forum was answered- without criticism"

Anyway, I like the Iridium (Motorola)

This looks good- Transform your smartphone
- anywhere
Compatible with Apple® and Android™, Iridium GO! extends the use of your trusted smartphone and devices no matter where you are with:

Apps optimized for voice calling, SMS, email, weather monitoring, and more
A 100 foot radius Wi-Fi connection for up to five mobile devices

Here is a link to the accessories- https://www.iridium.com/products/types/Accessories

Been a while since I was real deep in these devices but I still believe there are satellites up there cuz I can seem and watch them work. Yeah they were real, real, real expensive to operate back in the day. So was my bag phone @5W.
Let us know how it works out........
Gary

This looks good- Transform your smartphone
- anywhere
Compatible with Apple® and Android™, Iridium GO! extends the use of your trusted smartphone and devices no matter where you are with:

Apps optimized for voice calling, SMS, email, weather monitoring, and more
A 100 foot radius Wi-Fi connection for up to five mobile devices

That looks like a interesting device that would work for the OP.
The video said available soon. Wonder if it's available now?

That looks like a interesting device that would work for the OP.
The video said available soon. Wonder if it's available now?
I don't know....It's actually the first time I have seen it. As I have a background in RF communications and favor (for the most part) Iridium (from the past), rather than complaining about "why" BG wanted a system, I went back to take a look and found it.
The satellite based systems used to be cumbersome and tough on batteries- much like the GPS devices from 15 years ago 'till the now current models.
As an aside, I prefer "stand-alone" systems- IE cell and Sat. If this new device blends seamless integration of each device along with the ability to operate independently- this will be huge for those that plan to be out of cell range.
It's kinda funny, I've recently purchased 2 Garmin GPS units, one for the motorhome and one for the ATV. People have asked why? Don't you have a smart phone? I tell them yes and it's two different things. If they are interested, I tell them why.
I like the looks of the Iridium gear.
Gary

I first read the thread title as "Anyone Carry a Saxaphone that Connects with Your Helmet? ". I thought, hmmmm, that could be interesting...

I first read the thread title as "Anyone Carry a Saxaphone that Connects with Your Helmet? ". I thought, hmmmm, that could be interesting...

:laugh That's exactly what I read as well. Guess my May and June cataract surgeries are more necessary than I had originally thought. :rofl

Maybe after my cataract surgeries, some of those weird reading highway signs will start making more sense to me. :laugh

Last edited:
Back