Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58

Thread: Fragile kickstand?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    King, NC
    Posts
    23

    Fragile kickstand?

    I went to my nearest dealer today to try on a (hopefully discounted) 2016 R1200RT. I had back surgery back in January and I'm still a bit weak and inflexible so I had trouble getting my boot over the right side case. When I was last there, they asked me to not put all my weight on the stand by picking up both feet to try the riding position, so I asked if it was ok to get a boost by stepping on the left-side foot peg to step over. They said not to - might bend the kickstand mounting tab on the frame.

    Having read that this is a recommend way for vertically challenged riders to mount up, I'm now curious - is breaking the kickstand or bending the mounting tab really an issue? The sales folks at this dealer aren't the most accommodating bunch anyway but the next nearest dealer is quite a bit further away... I went to the triumph dealer afterwards and the sales manager there actually told me to mount by stepping on the left peg after I told him about my surgery. He said he almost always mounts that way and he's a big fellow.

  2. #2
    I think they are wrong. If right - the bike is way to fragile for me to buy. But you do need to name the dealership so I can avoid going there. This crap from some staff at some dealers demeans the brand.

    Filling in a bit more in your profile might be useful to both of us, too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,046
    Telling them to remove right bag so you can better mount might help also. Stands aren't unreliable, but sounds like sales staff might be.
    MOA #46783

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Stands aren't unreliable, but sounds like sales staff might be.
    Concur with that. The kick stand is strong. The surface and any incline are the potential problem.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    11,879
    Try not letting being disappointed by someone in sales get you down. As I watch an ad on the telly, I find it's a good primer on what to expect from the corporate culture running the ads......which trickle down to the dealerships.
    It's great to come to the forum and ask the question as, while the answers may not be perfect, the operators of the bikes (side-stands) can fill you in. I can think of a number of reasons you were told what you were told.....I suspect the sales personnel has fallen into the position of "order taker" cuz it's so much easier.

    I take it you mentioned your surgery? You may have scared them and a bit of "panic" ended up with the "cheese-wizz" answer.
    If the sales personnel was on their game (what I consider their game)- they would have provided a step-stool to allow you to get into riding position and supported the bike while you were sitting.
    Good luck with your purchase.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  6. #6
    When I first started looking at the GSA a dealership and sales associate in San Diego told me not to mount the bike by putting my weight on the pegs with the side stand down... You're not alone with what you've said about sales saying the side stand or center stand can't take the weight.
    FYI I always mount full weight on pegs with either side or center stand.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    2,046

    Customers and sidestands

    On a somewhat humorous note (at least now) I sold BMW's part time some years ago, dealership also had Japanese bikes available. One day customer sits on a Concours 14, flips side stand up as he talks to another salesman and I...5 minutes goes by when he decides to dismount. Unfortunately, he forgot stand wasn't down. No damage to bike as it rolled over with bag onto carpet, but several startled folks. Perhaps these sales people have had same experience....LOL
    MOA #46783

  8. #8
    Registered User skibumwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    196
    I always step up on the left peg before swinging my leg over when the cases are on my '16 RT. Stand seems perfectly solid to me.

    Dealer is the one that suggested it....

    Ski

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    89
    One of our motor officers, riding a BMW, always mounted on the left side of the bike by standing on the left peg with the side stand down. One day, as he mounted, something gave way. The bike fell down on its left side, dumping him on the ground. He escaped, with only his ego bruised.

    I don't recall (if he ever told me) what broke or bent, whether it was a tab, a bolt that sheared, or something else. But I've stopped mounting that way. The center stand is strong enough for this, I'm told, but the side stand is not.

    There are many who mount like this, who have never had such an experience, and who will continue. I prefer to learn from the experience of others.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    I always step up on the left peg before swinging my leg over when the cases are on my '16 RT. Stand seems perfectly solid to me.

    Dealer is the one that suggested it....

    Ski
    Come to think of it, when I went through the BMW motorcycle training at their South Carolina facility they told me the same thing. It reallly helps if you have short leg syndrome like I do....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    King, NC
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Telling them to remove right bag so you can better mount might help also. Stands aren't unreliable, but sounds like sales staff might be.
    I did that with the R1200R.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    King, NC
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I think they are wrong. If right - the bike is way to fragile for me to buy. But you do need to name the dealership so I can avoid going there. This crap from some staff at some dealers demeans the brand.

    Filling in a bit more in your profile might be useful to both of us, too.
    I've added my location but I'd rather not name the dealer - they had a questionable reputation several years ago but I thought things had improved. I've heard good things about their service department.

    Another thing that I thought odd - i asked if they could mount a low seat for me to try. My thought was that maybe I could start off with the low seat until I got more strength back and then switch over to the regular seat or an aftermarket one. The salesman said they didn't have one in stock so I asked when they expected one in -he said he wasn't going to get one and recommended that I get the stock seat and "take it somewhere and get it shaved down." No recommendations on where to go or who to call.

  13. #13
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffshoaf View Post
    The salesman said they didn't have one in stock so I asked when they expected one in -he said he wasn't going to get one and recommended that I get the stock seat and "take it somewhere and get it shaved down." No recommendations on where to go or who to call.
    They didn't want your business. Go elsewhere.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  14. #14
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,383
    What are the odds that a salesman would know if the parts guys had a lowered seat available without checking?
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    King, NC
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Try not letting being disappointed by someone in sales get you down. As I watch an ad on the telly, I find it's a good primer on what to expect from the corporate culture running the ads......which trickle down to the dealerships.
    It's great to come to the forum and ask the question as, while the answers may not be perfect, the operators of the bikes (side-stands) can fill you in. I can think of a number of reasons you were told what you were told.....I suspect the sales personnel has fallen into the position of "order taker" cuz it's so much easier.

    I take it you mentioned your surgery? You may have scared them and a bit of "panic" ended up with the "cheese-wizz" answer.
    If the sales personnel was on their game (what I consider their game)- they would have provided a step-stool to allow you to get into riding position and supported the bike while you were sitting.
    Good luck with your purchase.
    Gary
    I had a totally different experience at a dealer who's quite a bit further away last year (and the sales manager is a frequent poster here). The sales manager sent several emails with updates on inventory and when a demo went on sale at a good discount and even invited me to a cookout. Only issue is that I'm not ready yet to ride that distance and I like to support local businesses.

    I did.mention my surgery, but i was told the same thing when I was there in 2015 and wanted to test the riding position. They did offer a test ride then but I wasn't fully in the market then (they didn't know that) and didn't want to be overly tempted.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •