• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Logical queries in searches

kbowman

Is it possible to do logical queries in searches?

I'd like to search for posts that contain "Garmin" and "lock", but if I enter "Garmin lock" in the search field, it seems to search for "Garmin" or "lock", and I get 4085+ posts. Searching for "Garmin and lock" returns the same thing.

Thanks, Ken

I'm not sure where you are trying to go on this. Common words like "lock" are associated with steering, luggage and ignition. That is why you see so many results. If you access the Tag Cloud at the bottom left of the screen, you may have a better chance.
Kurt has a way to search via google, I'm sure he will chime in with.
Perhaps you are looking for a locking mount for your Garmin? Let us know and we will help you out..
Questions like this help everyone :)
Gary

Ken -

Unfortunately no, the search engine within vBulletin doesn't have that capability. I've been using the google "site" search by going to the google search box and typing something like "site:bmwmoa.org xxxx" (without quotes) where xxxx is what you're searching for. You can use quote marks around your search items with google search, so it's more robust in narrowing the field.

Once again I am allowed to be the contrarian. I have had a GPS on my bike since 1998. Since 2003 I have usually had two. They are on RAM ball mounts. None have been locked. I remove them at motels overnight. Otherwise, never. I have not had one stolen. I have not had one tampered with.

I have other stuff hanging off the bike when we travel. Always a tank bag and stuff.

In traveling many hundreds of thousands of miles ( and more for Voni), we have had exactly one thing stolen off the bikes. It was a water bottle out of the side pocket of a tank bag at a Walmart in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I simply went back into the store and paid $1.19 to replace the drinking bottle some kid stole.

I am careful where I stop. Careful where I eat. Careful where I overnight. And almost never worry about theft because I avoid those areas. YMMV. I'm sorry you have to be there.

Once again I am allowed to be the contrarian. I have had a GPS on my bike since 1998. Since 2003 I have usually had two. They are on RAM ball mounts. None have been locked. I remove them at motels overnight. Otherwise, never. I have not had one stolen. I have not had one tampered with.

I have other stuff hanging off the bike when we travel. Always a tank bag and stuff.

In traveling many hundreds of thousands of miles ( and more for Voni), we have had exactly one thing stolen off the bikes. It was a water bottle out of the side pocket of a tank bag at a Walmart in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I simply went back into the store and paid $1.19 to replace the drinking bottle some kid stole.

I am careful where I stop. Careful where I eat. Careful where I overnight. And almost never worry about theft because I avoid those areas. YMMV. I'm sorry you have to be there.

Thanks, but my question was about software, not hardware.

Cheers, Ken

Back