• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F700 v F800?

Lowered 700 replaced my 1200GS

My 1200GS was just the best for what I was doing a couple of years ago. I had to make a change when health problems that weakened my legs and I need something both feet hit the ground flat so here comes the factory lowered seat and lowered suspension 2017 700 GS that i had never ridden. My first time on the machine with feet on the floor replaced the balancing act I had to do tip toeing the 1200GS around. The machine has all the steam this 70 YO rider will ever need still pulling strongly at 80 in 5th. BTW 70 mph in 6th is around 4000 rpm, the same as the 1200 GS. The transmission ratios are spaced just right and yeah I have to work on the chain now and again but the rest makes up for that. It is 60 pounds lighter that the 1200 making it much easier around the garage and putting on the trailer. The shortened suspension will give some problems on choppy roads here in California because 2 inches in travel is lost in the shortening of the saddle height. Works out that I am bringing it back to the stock suspension height to retrieve the suspension travel which will make this machine perfect for riding the wine roads here around San Luis Obispo, Ca. A windshield and multi vario cases make this a reasonable long-travel machine if you choose and Its 190 mile range before the 40 mile reserve provides some legs for those Nevada deserts. For me, at my age, my physical condition of back issues, knees etc it performs very well.

Thats all for now,
Hey Bob:):):):)

Works out that I am bringing it back to the stock suspension height to retrieve the suspension travel which will make this machine perfect for riding the wine roads here around San Luis Obispo, Ca.

I’m investigating what it takes to restore a factory lowered f700gs to normal height.
The fork pieces and sidestand are reasonable, but the rear shock is crazy expensive.

What are your plans for the rear shock?

My 1200GS was just the best for what I was doing a couple of years ago. I had to make a change when health problems that weakened my legs and I need something both feet hit the ground flat so here comes the factory lowered seat and lowered suspension 2017 700 GS that i had never ridden. My first time on the machine with feet on the floor replaced the balancing act I had to do tip toeing the 1200GS around. The machine has all the steam this 70 YO rider will ever need still pulling strongly at 80 in 5th. BTW 70 mph in 6th is around 4000 rpm, the same as the 1200 GS. The transmission ratios are spaced just right and yeah I have to work on the chain now and again but the rest makes up for that. It is 60 pounds lighter that the 1200 making it much easier around the garage and putting on the trailer. The shortened suspension will give some problems on choppy roads here in California because 2 inches in travel is lost in the shortening of the saddle height. Works out that I am bringing it back to the stock suspension height to retrieve the suspension travel which will make this machine perfect for riding the wine roads here around San Luis Obispo, Ca. A windshield and multi vario cases make this a reasonable long-travel machine if you choose and Its 190 mile range before the 40 mile reserve provides some legs for those Nevada deserts. For me, at my age, my physical condition of back issues, knees etc it performs very well.

Thats all for now,

If you install a Scottoiler automatic chain oiling system, you can forget about manually lubing OR cleaning the chain. It’s great. Fixes the only drawback to this superb machine. BMW has enough faith in this system that they offer it as OEM branded equipment.

Life is not perfect. Voni and I have had three F650s and now own two G31OGS bikes. Some folks get 30K on a chain. We get about 20K on a chain. I don't use ATF at every gas stop. I don't have an auto oiler. I clean and lube the chain when it seems needed and is convenient. I do it at home, in camp grounds and at motels. I refuse to do it at gas stops or some weird place beside the road. Life is not perfect. If I was sufficiently anal I am sure I could nurse a chain for 50K miles. But it would be a fetish and not any fun. Riding is for fun. Do the best you want to.

I've owned four 650 singles, and now a F700GS. I normally get twenty to thirty thousand out of my chains, and I do have an oiler (Hawke)...they are no longer in business, but it works good for me. The life you get out of a chain depends on different things...if you ride in a lot of rain you will notice a shorter chain life, especially if you don't keep it really well lubricated. As already stated, life isn't perfect and riding a m/c can be a PITA if you allow it to be (pretty much like everything).:)

I am very new to this forum and find it a wonderful source of all kinds of info thoughts and opinions. As far as choosing a motorcycle it is difficult we are all different. So I go buy the old adage "If the shoe fits wear it."

So coming from a tech world prior to retirement most things I do when making big purchases is to make a list of requirements and rank them. Things like ergonomics, what type of riding (50/50, 90/10, whatever), interstates, 2 lane back roads, etc, etc. For me this helps narrow things down a bit. But then there is brand loyalty. Must I stay with my beloved brand. If so, that narrows the field even more.

My wife just recently purchased a 2014 F700GS. It took 4 motorcycles to get her there. Why? Most recommendations were opinion based from others making recommendations based on their riding styles and personal experiences, not on her requirements which she had none. But that is another topic. :)

I am also a believer in don't make the bike what it isn't. Start with a good foundation that meets XX% of your requirements and build from there. At the end of the day you may find a different path, or not.

Just some thoughts. Have a great holiday season.

Back