• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F700 v F800?

the Wizard of Oz
I have half a notion to try and sell my oilhead RT and replace it with maybe an F700GS or F800GS. I've ridden the 800GS for a day up just North of Boise and loved the machine.

What say you?

thx.

I have both, an RT ('06) and a '13 F800GS. Hmm? When I like to go long distance touring - the RT wins hands down. It's comfortable, smooth, got weather and wind protection... Around town and off-road the GS wins hands down. Nimble, quick responding, well balanced... So I suffer with dissonance of two bikes. Sorry I couldn't help you decide.

Annie has a F800GS and a F650GS. The F700 is an evolution of the F650. The 800 has the aforementioned tubes and I too detest them. My 93 GSPD had spokes and tubeless tires so why the step back? The 800 is also taller, and it costs more. The 700 is an easier bike to ride, has sufficient power in the normal RPM range and can handle moderate of pavement duty. I would say to start by assuming that the F700GS is for you and then seeing if you can convince yourself that you need the increased suspension travel (and height) and modest increase in useable power.

I have half a notion to try and sell my oilhead RT and replace it with maybe an F700GS or F800GS. I've ridden the 800GS for a day up just North of Boise and loved the machine.

What say you?

thx.

I don't quite get why the 700 exists here in the US. It's a slightly detuned engine same as the 800, little lower with alloy tubeless tires. I get the tubes are great to situations where it's easier to release air for for traction. Tubeless is more convenient to patch. I have a F800GT which replaced my R1200RT and the engine is quite good although it sounds kinda hollow. I've got a R1200GS bug going but the reality is real world use. Am I really going to use it as the Beemer Lords intended?

I live in an area with a long of twisty roads and parks so a 800 would make sense if I didn't ride as often as I'd like. The 700 isn't bad either. I still don't get the 700, as it's really an 800 with maybe 15hp less. If my legs were longer I'd go with the F800GSA for the extra fuel capacity. While as 800 would likely work for me I just love the boxer engine. So would the 700.

I think it comes down to tires since they are so similar. Lot of dirt? Tubes. More Road? Tubeless. Longer distance? A few more horses. The ADV Rider forum seems to like the 800 for being lighter and easier to manage than 1200's off-road. The reality is not all of us are doing the "long way around" epic tour we dream of. Men can be as fickle as woman on the subject of bikes.

I'd go with the 800. Why? The number is larger than 700. In the mind is makes more sense if you turn it around a few years later. A newcomer breaking in BMW's will get a used bike and the resell (or quick sell) is better. The thought of a "detuned" 800 makes it sound a little less appealing to a more experienced rider. when it actually capable of pulling at least 90 like the GT.

Why did I downgrade from a RT? I'm older and the wife just doesn't like riding anymore. My K75S is great for what is it but man those 700/800's are light and confidence inspiring.

The hardest decision for a man to make is a practical one concerning a motorcycle. I had a huge Ultra Classic and I loved it, but it just wasn't the bike for me and my riding style and the "lifestyle" part just didn't appeal to me.

I won't think less of you for going with a 700 if you promise not to say "Why in the hell did you go from an RT to a F800GT?" A motorcycle purchase has never been a rational decision for me. I suppose that's true for most of us.

Think about those tires and having to patch one on the side of the road or wait for Roadside assistance. If your really going to hit B roads get the 800.

I don't quite get why the 700 exists here in the US. It's a slightly detuned engine same as the 800, little lower with alloy tubeless tires.

I prefer to use the term retuned rather than "detuned". For a medium weight "street" (not track) bike in the US, peak horsepower is almost meaningless since nobody rides except for brief moments with the engine producing peak horsepower, if even ever. Midrange torque and engine versatility are what matters. If you intend to boonie bash and need the flexibility of spoke wheels and the long travel suspension the F800 is great. If you want good pavement behavior and unpaved roads then take a good hard look at the 700.

I know a person whose name almost everybody on this forum would recognize. He bought an 800. His wife bought a 700. He wishes he had bought one just like hers. He likes the engine better.

I prefer to use the term retuned rather than "detuned". For a medium weight "street" (not track) bike in the US, peak horsepower is almost meaningless since nobody rides except for brief moments with the engine producing peak horsepower, if even ever. Midrange torque and engine versatility are what matters. If you intend to boonie bash and need the flexibility of spoke wheels and the long travel suspension the F800 is great. If you want good pavement behavior and unpaved roads then take a good hard look at the 700.

I know a person whose name almost everybody on this forum would recognize. He bought an 800. His wife bought a 700. He wishes he had bought one just like hers. He likes the engine better.

I rode a F700 in the Alps; excellent bike very nimble. My only issue is " I love the boxer motor, and the new wet heads, we'll need I say more". I too am looking at trading in my 2008 RT. I'm really debating whether I get a 17 RT or 17 F 700 GS, I love the boxer, is my main problem. But if I want something lighter, which I Kinda do, the F 700 GS will be it. And just to throw a wrench in this whole thing, for me anyway, I'm also looking at a new Ural.

interesting so far

...and informative, thanx!

For me it's a combination of aiming at Alaska in the near future, just being tired of taking off the Tupperware for service, very seldom riding two-up, and having ridden the 800. Sort of obviously, up in the twists and turns along the Harris Creek Rd, north of Boise, which follows the course of ...Harris Creek, the bike was way lots o' fun to ride. After I came back south toward Boise thru Idaho City, the road straightened out and 75-80 mph or so seemed really comfortable. That little windscreen worked a treat. And the wide bars were nice too.

And finally, since I'm at an age when work has slowed down for me, I think I'm heading to Alaska...not this season, but maybe next, and I just thought something that was both easier to work on, easier to handle on crappy pavement and crappy conditions, and was ...??? well, more Alaska-capable, would be a good choice.

I like the RT a lot, but every time I ride a smaller machine, I like that more...except the 800 S I rented in Vancouver

When Annie bought her F650GS we lived in Alaska. I think she has made the trip between the states and Alaska five times on the F650 and it is more than enough bike for the trip and riding the Haul Road, Denali Hwy and other gravel roads. Tires count for much in those situations. Annie has a 34 inch inseam, so the height of either ther 800 or 650 is not an issue for her. To this day, she picks the 650 for riding on gravel roads. With my stubby legs the 800 is too tall.

I commented earlier about tube type vs tubeless tires. It was on Highway 5 just a bit south of Chicken, Alaska, headed to the "Top of the World" and then to Dawson City that I was parked at the edge of the road, at first in the dust and then in the mud, extracting and inserting inner tubes from and into the rear tire of my F650 where my disdain for tubes turned to hate.

seems about right

...I was parked at the edge of the road, at first in the dust and then in the mud, extracting and inserting inner tubes from and into the rear tire of my F650 where my disdain for tubes turned to hate.

I'm not a "certified" BMW tech, but that seems correct

I don't quite get why the 700 exists here in the US.

I am quite happy it is on the North American market.

In late 2013, I traded an 800+ pound Victory Vision 8 Ball for a 2013 F700GS and it re-vitalised my riding.

No surprise that the F700GS is quicker, brakes better, handles better and is better finished than my former Vic. was. With the side Vario Cases, it can also carry more stuff (the 8 Ball Visions did not have the top case).

I don't do off road, my GS is strictly a street bike, I don't need a taller bike and don't want wire spokes.

I like the riding position and it handles the highway at 60 to 70 mph, all day, no problem.

I am 64 and have a bad right knee (arthroscopic surgery in fall 2014) and a sometimes painful back; so, I really appreciate the ease of moving the lighter bike in a parking lot or the garage, etc.

My wife rides so I don't need a big bike for two up.

At 6' - 3" bike seat height is not an issue so that was not a consideration for me as far as bike size goes.

I always said the only way I would have a bike with a chain is if I liked EVERYTHING else about the bike, never thought I'd find that, but the F700GS is that bike, for me.

I am quite happy it is on the North American market.

In late 2013, I traded an 800+ pound Victory Vision 8 Ball for a 2013 F700GS and it re-vitalised my riding.

No surprise that the F700GS is quicker, brakes better, handles better and is better finished than my former Vic. was. With the side Vario Cases, it can also carry more stuff (the 8 Ball Visions did not have the top case).

I don't do off road, my GS is strictly a street bike, I don't need a taller bike and don't want wire spokes.

I like the riding position and it handles the highway at 60 to 70 mph, all day, no problem.

I am 64 and have a bad right knee (arthroscopic surgery in fall 2014) and a sometimes painful back; so, I really appreciate the ease of moving the lighter bike in a parking lot or the garage, etc.

My wife rides so I don't need a big bike for two up.

At 6' - 3" bike seat height is not an issue so that was not a consideration for me as far as bike size goes.

I always said the only way I would have a bike with a chain is if I liked EVERYTHING else about the bike, never thought I'd find that, but the F700GS is that bike, for me.

All that really matters is you're happy. You bring up another point. Knees and backs love lighter bikes too.

F700GS after one season

I bought an F 700 GS almost exactly a year ago. Watch the April Owners News for a lengthy review. In a nutshell, it comes down to what you're going to use it for. In my case, it's pretty close to a perfect fit. Most of my riding is a 60 mile round trip commute over Township roads, County Trunks, and super slab, then city streets. This bike is great for that, but I would not recommend it for serious long distance touring. It's more expensive obviously than a V-Strom or Versys (both fine bikes), but mine had more of the features I wanted, and well, it's my fourth Beemer. -RD

I've ridden my 700 from St Louis to points west as far as Utah, Montana and Wyoming, East as far as New York, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, North above lake Superior, South as far as..... Well you get the idea. Maybe not quite as comfortable as my previous K 1200 RS but certainly much more enjoyable when wanting to ride to camp sites off the beaten path and seeing things not usually found along asphalt hard road surfaces. Very pleased with the bike and hope that hit the 100000 mile mark next year with her...

What say you? thx.

I don't want tubes on anything with more than about 30hp. The F8GS should be available with tubeless wheels and the Adv should come with tubeless spoke wheels :dunno

I don't want tubes on anything with more than about 30hp. The F8GS should be available with tubeless wheels and the Adv should come with tubeless spoke wheels :dunno

"Should" and does are, however, two different things.

Back