Thread: Is this normal?

Is this normal?

I have a 2013 R 1200RT with 28K total mileage. I bought it used, about 1 month of ownership now.
    My question is: at highway speeds I occasionally notice a slight "wandering" feeling in the front end. One could describe the feeling as a "squiggley" front tire. Nothing dangerous nor severe enough to fear loss of control.
    Since I'm new to BMW (first motorcycle was a Kawa Vulcan 900 I rode for 21K miles) I didn't know if this is an aspect of the sport-touring geometry or an indication of some problem.
    The roads are not grooved. I have felt those "wiggles" before. This is not that.
    Tire pressure is checked and within limits. While I cannot say how many miles on the tires there are at this time, the tread looks very good on both tires. I do not see any evidence of tread or sidewall damage.
    The problem does not seem to be noticeable all the time and I don't believe wind is causing it. There is a definite difference from wind effects I've felt and this issue.
    Thank you for your input.
    Richard
    2013 R 1200RT (90th Anniversary)

Richard,

I have the same bike as yours with 47K on it. I have run Michelin PR3s and PR4s and the only time I have noticed any wandering/squirm in the front was when the tires were getting worn and were starting to cup. I keep the pressure at 36-38 font and 40-42 rear depending on load. If the tread is good and there's no cupping, experiment with the tire pressure up and down from what you are using now and see what happens. The crown in the road may also be causing it.

Enjoy your ride.

R/Jim

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicota View Post
    Richard,

I have the same bike as yours with 47K on it. I have run Michelin PR3s and PR4s and the only time I have noticed any wandering/squirm in the front was when the tires were getting worn and were starting to cup. I keep the pressure at 36-38 font and 40-42 rear depending on load. If the tread is good and there's no cupping, experiment with the tire pressure up and down from what you are using now and see what happens. The crown in the road may also be causing it.

Enjoy your ride.

R/Jim
    Good advice for many bikes
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Put the bike on it's center stand. You are going to check the "head" bearings. These are where the forks attach to the frame. With the wheel off the floor/ground grasp the bottom of the fork/axle and push forward and backward. You should feel no "play" or looseness. If you do, figure out how you adjust this............

In the same vein, what happens when you take your hands off the bars at 30 MPH or so.....The wandering???.........Does it happen at very slow speeds when you take your hands off???