• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless ride

Ok, I reread post #25. That's a little more encouraging. I guess I still would want a 2nd fob in case I lose the first one.
I am confused about something else: if the chip does not require a power supply (battery) to work as implied by Lee in post # 25, what is the battery in the fob for? Is it just to boost the signal so that the fob can be at a distance from the bike?
And if a chip does not require a power supply, how does it work? Does the chip send out a signal? If so, it seems like it would require an energy source. Or does the bike send out the signal and the fob chip recognizes it somehow? Still, for both parts to communicate, don't they each require an energy source?

Ok, I reread post #25. That's a little more encouraging. I guess I still would want a 2nd fob in case I lose the first one.
I am confused about something else: if the chip does not require a power supply (battery) to work as implied by Lee in post # 25, what is the battery in the fob for? Is it just to boost the signal so that the fob can be at a distance from the bike?
And if a chip does not require a power supply, how does it work? Does the chip send out a signal? If so, it seems like it would require an energy source. Or does the bike send out the signal and the fob chip recognizes it somehow? Still, for both parts to communicate, don't they each require an energy source?
Do a search on passive and active RFID. That will explain how the fob can start the bike on a dead better yet when placed next to the antenna.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

O.k. I went out to my bike. I put a fob in the bag. I then placed the bag right by the keyless button.

Is that where the antenna is on a RT? On my RS it's under the seat.
Just to be safe check where the antenna is and place the bag near it.

The dealer confirms that the metal valet key will not start the bike. What possible rationale could there be for this? The only thing dumber than this is how dumb I feel for buying into this system. Well, too late now.

Question for Jeff Dean or anyone else with 2 fobs: do you keep both fobs with you when you ride? I guess you can't leave one in the bike luggage because then anyone could just walk up to the bike, start it and ride away with it.

You could remove the battery from the spare fob and make sure the fob is not stored next to the antenna. Don't forget to keep a battery on the bike.

Is that where the antenna is on a RT? On my RS it's under the seat.
Just to be safe check where the antenna is and place the bag near it.

It is up by the dashboard, not under the seat like an R1200R or a GS.

Range of the fob isn't too great. On my '15 RTW, with a new battery in the fob, fob needs to be within about 3 feet of the antenna. For me, this is a good thing. I leave the FOB in my front jeans pocket, under my riding pants. I put in my pocket in the morning and never touch it. It's there, safe from pick pockets, leaving it on the counter, etcetera. Why is this a good thing? In the house, my key is stored in a drawer, about 15 feet away from my RTW. My Ford Fusion's fob is almost identical to the BMW fob (shape, size, color). If I'm in a hurry, I sometimes have a "senior moment" and grab the Ford fob, instead of the BMW fob, and put in my pocket. I then go out to start the RTW. It tells me there's no key within range. I feel in my pocket, yep, there's a fob there. I try again. Still "no key within range". Now I look at the fob, hit myself in the forehead, and go get the correct key. With a longer range on the BMW fob, I could imagine starting the bike (with the wrong fob in my pocket), heading out on a ride, stopping at some remote destination, and then finding out I can't restart my RTW because I don't have the correct fob in my pocket. If I had two BMW fobs, I'd bet the spare fob battery would be dead when I needed it, and then I'd have to use the plastic "valet key" to start the bike anyway.

As for those with two fobs -- you might check/see if storing the spare fob in the lower rear corner of the pannier would be out of range. If so, no security pocket necessary. Just secure it to the inside of your case and forget it until you need it. (Of course, if your case is locked, then you're still SOL).

In summary, I like the keyless ride. I wish my other vehicles all had it -- cars, trucks, and other motorcycles.

I keep my 2nd fob wrapped in aluminum foil. Works by same principle (Faraday cage) as Silent Pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgoertz,

I can confirm that if you have your FOB in the side case it is out of range. I had mine in my jacket pocket, placed my jacket in the sidecase. What was strange was I was able to lock the cases with the electronic lock, on the grip but was not able to unlock or start the bike. Lesson learned, I keep my spare FOB wrapped in tinfoil on me when I travel away from home. Sure glad my better-half was at home and could bring me my spare FOB :)

Dave

Range of the fob isn't too great. On my '15 RTW, with a new battery in the fob, fob needs to be within about 3 feet of the antenna. For me, this is a good thing. I leave the FOB in my front jeans pocket, under my riding pants. I put in my pocket in the morning and never touch it. It's there, safe from pick pockets, leaving it on the counter, etcetera. Why is this a good thing? In the house, my key is stored in a drawer, about 15 feet away from my RTW. My Ford Fusion's fob is almost identical to the BMW fob (shape, size, color). If I'm in a hurry, I sometimes have a "senior moment" and grab the Ford fob, instead of the BMW fob, and put in my pocket. I then go out to start the RTW. It tells me there's no key within range. I feel in my pocket, yep, there's a fob there. I try again. Still "no key within range". Now I look at the fob, hit myself in the forehead, and go get the correct key. With a longer range on the BMW fob, I could imagine starting the bike (with the wrong fob in my pocket), heading out on a ride, stopping at some remote destination, and then finding out I can't restart my RTW because I don't have the correct fob in my pocket. If I had two BMW fobs, I'd bet the spare fob battery would be dead when I needed it, and then I'd have to use the plastic "valet key" to start the bike anyway.

As for those with two fobs -- you might check/see if storing the spare fob in the lower rear corner of the pannier would be out of range. If so, no security pocket necessary. Just secure it to the inside of your case and forget it until you need it. (Of course, if your case is locked, then you're still SOL).

In summary, I like the keyless ride. I wish my other vehicles all had it -- cars, trucks, and other motorcycles.

jgoertz,

I can confirm that if you have your FOB in the side case it is out of range. I had mine in my jacket pocket, placed my jacket in the sidecase. What was strange was I was able to lock the cases with the electronic lock, on the grip but was not able to unlock or start the bike. <snip>
Dave

Perfect. Just perfect! :banghead

OK, here's another question. I will soon be taking delivery on a 2017 RT with keyless ride. Is the keyless ride reliable? Several years back, I remember some people getting stuck because the bike didn't recognize the key fob. Is this a concern? I would hate to be a thousand miles from home and not be able to start the bike because of such a failure.

I have a little over 3,000 miles on my 2016 RT. To date I haven't experienced any problems with my keyless system. Love the ride. Congratulations on your new 2017 RT.

Thanks, and thanks to all of you who have contributed to this informative discussion. I hope that the weather in the northeast will cooperate sometime soon so that I can pick up my new bike.

The dealer confirms that the metal valet key will not start the bike. What possible rationale could there be for this? The only thing dumber than this is how dumb I feel for buying into this system. Well, too late now.

Question for Jeff Dean or anyone else with 2 fobs: do you keep both fobs with you when you ride? I guess you can't leave one in the bike luggage because then anyone could just walk up to the bike, start it and ride away with it. If one were to wrap it in aluminum foil or the bag that EZ pass comes in, could the 2nd fob then be left on the bike? Any other thoughts/advice?
The hinge on the fob key always felt wobbly to me. I didn't want to put too much twist into it, if the lock was reluctant to turn. The "valet key" is actually a popular option for the keyless GS crowd, since the locks can be hard to turn after they get crudded up with road debris and there is no central lock. Even if the "valet key" had a chip I doubt it would do much good. It would really be nice if BMW did what Ducati did, which was make some kind of button combination you could use to start it without needing the plastic key (hold cruise and horn "on" and flick start button 3 times while standing on your head or something).

Wow. Seriously? You mean that the plastic key will start the engine and save you from being stranded, but the metal valet key won't?

Exactly.

The metal key is "stupid," the plastic key has an incredibly modern, magical ability to enable you to start the bike (it's called RFID by geeks).

Don't overthink this. It works fine...relax and enjoy.

Harry

Key Fob Battery Warning Light

Several days ago while on a short ride (less than 200 miles) a warning light came on in the upper left part of our 2016 R1200RS's dash showing a key half lit.

After opening the fob and rotating the battery several times, the warning light did not come back on. The fob is just short of 2 years old.

Even so I bought a twin pack of the CR2032s, put a new one in the key fob and a spare in the tank bag.

Seems the bike's electronics will give me plenty of warning before the battery in the key fob runs totally out.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

Same experiences for me, 2016 with about 5000miles and no problems. As mentioned above, carry the emergency key with you, especially if you are traveling far from home. If you don't have the emergency key, there is also some crazy process where you can remove the speaker and hold the fob near the back of the instrument cluster to start the bike. It is described in the riders manual you will receive with the bike.

... there is also some crazy process where you can remove the speaker and hold the fob near the back of the instrument cluster to start the bike. It is described in the riders manual you will receive with the bike.
GS - antenna under seat, reach under and hold dead fob above rear wheel, under antenna
RS, R - antenna under seat, remove seat and hold dead fob above antenna
RT - antenna behind instrument panel, remove the f*king speakerand stick your arm through the hole while holding dead fob!!​

One would think BMW would be able to identify ONE, easy to access location and implement it across all bikes. Preferably one that wouldn't require you to remove parts or get dirty, or both. They found such a location once:

K16 - antenna near gas cap, hold dead fob on top of tank​

Back