• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless ride

I do not like mine for the simple reason is you have to push two buttons to start the bike.

My car I touch the door, open it, sit down push the big red button and my car starts. No pushing a button to disarm a alarm, just grab the door handle and it opens, and push one button and my car starts.

Rt push a button to disarm the alarm, push a big black button wait for the dash to sweep, and then hit a starter button.

I would rather turn a key and push a starter button and be done with it.

I do not see it as any big thing and I find it pretty low tech compared to what others do for key less vehicles.
Well they could add a finger print scanner but they'd you'd have to wait to out your gloves on. Also... You don't have to lock the steering column.

However I do agree it would be nice if you pushed either button on the key fob for an automatic disarm, unlock and auto start.... Future feature???

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I do not like mine for the simple reason is you have to push two buttons to start the bike.

My car I touch the door, open it, sit down push the big red button and my car starts. No pushing a button to disarm a alarm, just grab the door handle and it opens, and push one button and my car starts.

Rt push a button to disarm the alarm, push a big black button wait for the dash to sweep, and then hit a starter button.

I would rather turn a key and push a starter button and be done with it.

I do not see it as any big thing and I find it pretty low tech compared to what others do for key less vehicles.
You don't need to disarm the alarm. Just push the black button and the alarm will self disarm. Likewise so long as the fob is close to the bike the alarm will not trigger it has a proximity sensor.

So with keyless, fob in your pocket or like me, on a lanyard around my neck, sit on bike, push black button, wait for computed boot 5 second sequence and press start button.

Really not complicated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Keep a spare FOB battery in your tank bag. And when you use it, replace it.

Don't forget the fob will still start the bike with a dead fob battery. Hold the fob in the same location you would the plastic emergency key to start the bike.
I still carry a spare battery :)

I only have one set of riding gear (3-season) so I sewed a lanyard into a pocket and put a snap shackle on the end of it. The lanyard was long enough to get to any of the locks on the bike, and I'm ATGATT so I never left the fob behind (nor succumbed to the temptation to not gear up "just this once"). I just remove the fob from the shackle and give it to the dealer when servicing it.

The other thing I learned was that when my fob and my cellphone were in the same pocket, the communication between the fob and the bike was compromised. Separated them and all was well.

Never said complicated.

I said it is a two step process on a BMW Key Less ride bike to start it, where my car, and most other key less cars are 1 button to start.

Nothing complicated, just very low tech compared to starting most key less cars and I could do without it. What do you gain? Stick a key in and turn it, then hit the starter button, or push a button wait on a gauges to sweep then hit (another) starter button. What did you gain and what is the big deal? Nothing to me and I really wish I did not have it at all.
You sure made it sound so by incorrectly saying it was a three step process by including the need to disarm the alarm first.

And because it is not the same as your car it's low tech? Well in my truck I need to, unlock the doors, open the door, sit in the seat, hold the brake all before before pressing the button to start that is low tech why doesn't my truck know it's in park and I have the fob and do all of it as I approach and just start?

Maybe the need to have the power and start button separate is a safety step similar to holding the brake in a car? Especially since sometimes you want ignition power but not start the bike with the engine in the run position.

Btw even if you had the key you would still need to wait for the gauge sweep so that has nothing to do with the keyless ride.

For me, never having to think about my key, worry about losing my key and the fast easy gas cap opening without a key is great.

The ability to just walk away from my bike and have the alarm set and disarm as I approach is an additional bonus.

Low tech? I don't think so, more like properly applied tech for the intended application.

Last edited:
You sure made it sound so by incorrectly saying it was a three step process by including the need to disarm the alarm first.

And because it is not the same as your car it's low tech? Well in my truck I need to, unlock the doors, open the door, sit in the seat, hold the brake all before before pressing the button to start that is low tech why doesn't my truck know it's in park and I have the fob and do all of it as I approach and just start?

Maybe the need to have the power and start button separate is a safety step similar to holding the brake in a car? Especially since sometimes you want ignition power but not start the bike with the engine in the run position.

Btw even if you had the key you would still need to wait for the gauge sweep so that has nothing to do with the keyless ride.

For me, never having to think about my key, worry about losing my key and the fast easy gas cap opening without a key is great.

The ability to just walk away from my bike and have the alarm set and disarm as I approach is an additional bonus.

Low tech? I don't think so, more like properly applied tech for the intended application.

:fight

There are pros and cons with every system. I think the response above is a more comprehensive view of the overall process including Highlighting the pros.

I eagerly wait for the rebuttal.

Or maybe you too can just :love and make up.

( I write the last line above with the intent of humor, so don't take offense. However, I must admit, I'm still waiting for the rebuttal.)

You only need the fob to start the bike. You can start the bike, leave the key at home and go for a ride without any problem.
Just make sure you do not shut the bike off on that ride. :)

Correct, I pulled up the manual and re-read the part about keyless. It does state in the MOM that if the bike is running, you can ride it until it is shut off even if the key is no where nearby.

I will admit I've been having some electrical gremlins with the new 2017 GSA... but I still can't explain the lack of power while driving with the key in the trunk.

OK, here's another question. I will soon be taking delivery on a 2017 RT with keyless ride. Is the keyless ride reliable? Several years back, I remember some people getting stuck because the bike didn't recognize the key fob. Is this a concern? I would hate to be a thousand miles from home and not be able to start the bike because of such a failure.

Hi Don,
I know you. I love my "Keyless Ride"! Sometimes the key out of range comes up on the display but the operation of the key has been flawless. I looked up in the manual about the warning light comes on while riding and it states to "stay calm".

And when it comes time to change that CR2032 battery (at least that's what it is in my 2016 GSA fob), you'll find your bike's booklet useless as to how to actually open the fob. Take a knife blade or something else suitable as to not damage the fob, and carefully pry it open on the side. The cover is a press fit.

Attachments

• 17444.jpg
    17444.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 259
Hi Don,
I know you. I love my "Keyless Ride"! Sometimes the key out of range comes up on the display but the operation of the key has been flawless. I looked up in the manual about the warning light comes on while riding and it states to "stay calm".

Hi John. I hope to pick up the new RT in about a week. Until then I will try to "stay calm":)

Hi Don,

I've had the key out of range warning a couple of times - presumably interference or something. As you say, keep calm. I do carry a spare fob battery in my tankbag, though...

I have a 2015 RTW with keyless fob. No problems at all so far. I have two fobs as a precaution. I have replaced the batteries once as another precaution. I always have extra batteries on the bike. Very cautious. :)

Metal valet key

Caution is good. I ordered a metal "valet" key. I assume that it will allow me to do everything necessary, right? I had hoped to pick up the bike this Saturday, but I don't know with the nor'easter coming.

Caution is good. I ordered a metal "valet" key. I assume that it will allow me to do everything necessary, right? I had hoped to pick up the bike this Saturday, but I don't know with the nor'easter coming.

I carry the plastic emergency key in my wallet and can start the bike with it.
I have a metal key I use on the seat, GPS, and bags. It does not have a chip so it will not start the bike.

Wow. Seriously? You mean that the plastic key will start the engine and save you from being stranded, but the metal valet key won't? That strikes me as an extraordinarily stupid design. I hope I misunderstood.

Wow. Seriously? You mean that the plastic key will start the engine and save you from being stranded, but the metal valet key won't? That strikes me as an extraordinarily stupid design. I hope I misunderstood.

The one I purchased does not have a chip. Check with your dealer, maybe they sell a metal key with a chip.
As I mentioned in post #25 you can also start the bike with the fob even if it's battery is dead. You need to place the fob next to the receiver to start the bike. On my RS the receiver is under the passenger seat.

I can start my bike with the plastic emergency key and the fob with a weak battery so I did not care about the metal key having a chip.

The dealer confirms that the metal valet key will not start the bike. What possible rationale could there be for this? The only thing dumber than this is how dumb I feel for buying into this system. Well, too late now.

Question for Jeff Dean or anyone else with 2 fobs: do you keep both fobs with you when you ride? I guess you can't leave one in the bike luggage because then anyone could just walk up to the bike, start it and ride away with it. If one were to wrap it in aluminum foil or the bag that EZ pass comes in, could the 2nd fob then be left on the bike? Any other thoughts/advice?

The dealer confirms that the metal valet key will not start the bike. What possible rationale could there be for this? The only thing dumber than this is how dumb I feel for buying into this system. Well, too late now.

Question for Jeff Dean or anyone else with 2 fobs: do you keep both fobs with you when you ride? I guess you can't leave one in the bike luggage because then anyone could just walk up to the bike, start it and ride away with it. If one were to wrap it in aluminum foil or the bag that EZ pass comes in, could the 2nd fob then be left on the bike? Any other thoughts/advice?

I keep one fob in my riding jacket and one in my pants pocket. On those rare occasions when I leave the jacket on my bike or in a saddle bag, I take that fob with me as well. However, read below.

There are some bags that supposedly prevent the fob from being use if it is in the bag. I have one called "Silent Pocket." I have not tried it I think I will right now to see if it works. Stay tuned ........

O.k. I went out to my bike. I put a fob in the bag. I then placed the bag right by the keyless button. The bike did not recognize the fob! So, based on my one test, I can tell you that the Silent Pocket works. It probably works as well with other devices, such as cell phones, to keep others from accessing them.

https://silent-pocket.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Pocket-GUARD-Protector-Wireless/dp/B01MTNKVO4

Back