Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyless ride

Keyless ride

OK, here's another question. I will soon be taking delivery on a 2017 RT with keyless ride. Is the keyless ride reliable? Several years back, I remember some people getting stuck because the bike didn't recognize the key fob. Is this a concern? I would hate to be a thousand miles from home and not be able to start the bike because of such a failure.

Only issue I have had is at a couple of specific pumps at our local Mobile station, these pumps have "fast gas" readers and can interfere with the keyless operation. This results in you having to push bike about 10 feet to get out of range of the reader. BMW is aware of this issue, from what I gathered from my dealer it's a service station issue not a bike fault.
    I would suggest though you order a extra standard key(non chipped) and use it where a key is required, seat and top case on my bike. The key on the fob is rather cheaply made and easily broken

Great information; thanks!

Any comments on general reliability in the long run? I plan to keep the bike for a long time. I assume that there are batteries in the fob or antenna or both.

Quote Originally Posted by DONPRICE View Post
    OK, here's another question. I will soon be taking delivery on a 2017 RT with keyless ride. Is the keyless ride reliable? Several years back, I remember some people getting stuck because the bike didn't recognize the key fob. Is this a concern? I would hate to be a thousand miles from home and not be able to start the bike because of such a failure.
    2000 km on my own 2017 GSA keyless... No issues no problems... Actually the only problem I've had with the "key" is a stuck lock on the top case. Sorry can't give you any long term reporting.

I love the features that keyless brings and how the bike shuts off and is disabled without the key nearby... Perfect for my security concerns where I live.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Great information; thanks!

Any comments on general reliability in the long run? I plan to keep the bike for a long time. I assume that there are batteries in the fob or antenna or both.
    I am on a 2015 RT and have had no issues other than the fob battery running out of life. Simple fix.

When you get the warning for low battery, replace the battery SOON. It will avoid a failure when you want it. The battery is cheap enough to carry a spare. Off course you have to remember where you carefully placed it so you could easily find it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Battery key fob

Quote Originally Posted by pkpilot View Post
    I am on a 2015 RT and have had no issues other than the fob battery running out of life. Simple fix.

When you get the warning for low battery, replace the battery SOON. It will avoid a failure when you want it. The battery is cheap enough to carry a spare. Off course you have to remember where you carefully placed it so you could easily find it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Had same the light came on the maintenance panel. Like U easy fix. I have 29,000 miles. Really like the key less.

2016 just over a year old and just north of 4,000 miles with no issues at all. Just make sure you carry the spare plastic key either hidden somewhere on the bike or on your person and you won't be stranded even if you loose the fob. I love the convenience that keyless provides ... have had it on my car for over four years and although I didn't think it was a real big deal before I got it, I think it's a real nice thing to have and didn't hesitate to add it on the RT when I placed my order. BTW, where you at on the Island Don?
    2016 BMW R1200RT
    1996 Honda VF750C Magna
    1983 Honda CB550 Nighthawk

I had keyless on my Concours. It was worthless! The only thing it did was work the ignition which actually still had the key in under the big knob that was hiding it. You still had to remove the key and use it for the fuel tank and the bags.

BMW did it right. I never need to use a key for anything. Everything is a simple button push. I really like this system.

I've had keyless on several cars also and never had a problem with any of them. My RT is a year old with over 12000 miles and it works perfectly.
    Ed Kruse
    '16 R1200RT Ebony
    Naples FL
    "Just Kruse'n"

OK, here's another question. I will soon be taking delivery on a 2017 RT with keyless ride. Is the keyless ride reliable? Several years back, I remember some people getting stuck because the bike didn't recognize the key fob.
    Are you thinking about the EWS problem with a regular chip key 8 to 10 years ago?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Are you thinking about the EWS problem with a regular chip key 8 to 10 years ago?
    Lee has a good point. OP's reference sounds more like BMW's antenna ring debacle for '08/'09 MY...nothing to do with a keyless system. My experience with keyless has been fine...from Harley to BMW's keyless not a problem. However, just like any remote FOB, keep the battery fresh.
    MOA #46783

I had the keyless on the Concours about 10 years ago, and it was a problem because it had an actual mechanical key switch with an open top that could get dust and gunk down inside, that could cause problems.

I've had the keyless on my RT for a couple of years, and it's worked out very well. The central locking is very convenient.

One suggestion I would make is to carry an extra battery. I was in Montana and started getting an error message for low key fob battery. You can still start the bike with a dead fob battery, but it looks like a major hassle.

My RT only came with one fob, so I ordered a second and had it programmed - for maybe $280, or so.

I have over two K miles on my new RT and can report no problems. Love the feature. Never have to pull the key fob out of your pocket. Central locking is nice when stopping a public places. Only thing I've heard is that they are expensive should you have to buy another.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 2017 BMW R1200RT; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition; Scooter

With these keyless systems, does the bike shut off if the fob is moved a certain distance away?
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    With these keyless systems, does the bike shut off if the fob is moved a certain distance away?
    No, it does not. You simply get a warning on the dash that the key is out of range. You would, of course, be unable to restart the bike after you shut it off. It basically works the same as a car with the same feature (well, at least the way our Audi's work).
    2016 BMW R1200RT
    1996 Honda VF750C Magna
    1983 Honda CB550 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by lirider View Post
    ...(well, at least the way our Audi's work).
    Thanks.

We rented a BMW 2 in Ireland recently, and while I was walking around at the Old Head of Kinsale, taking pictures, it started talking to my wife.

Karin's Ireland pics 290.jpg

I kind of like keyless; tried it on a Harley a while back.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."