• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Top case for my new RT

Dp1guzzi

MOA 27106
Is the new style topcase worth the extra expense over the regular style case (that I have been happy with since 2009)? Favoring the regular case is that it has a handle, whereas the new style one does not. The new style case can have an auxiliary taillight +/- brakelight, but I will have a Clearwater aux light, so that is not such a big deal.
I'd appreciate opinions. Thanks

Is the new style topcase worth the extra expense over the regular style case (that I have been happy with since 2009)? Favoring the regular case is that it has a handle, whereas the new style one does not. The new style case can have an auxiliary taillight +/- brakelight, but I will have a Clearwater aux light, so that is not such a big deal.

Are you planning on mounting the clearwater aux rear brake light on the case?

No, I have the one that is a license plate frame. It will be moved from my old bike to the new one.

The light position therefore will be lower down than it would be on the new style top case.

I'm ready to order the older style 49L box from the UK BMW online store. Can anyone confirm that this box, sold for pre-wethead RT's, will still fit the rack? I have a 14' RT.

I went with the 28L small case, $450 out the door with lock. Large case, in my opinion, wasn't needed and looks out of place on RT

I got mine at Long Beach Bmw, parts manager Dewey matched the internet price
Check online prices, sometimes some good (for Bmw) prices

Just my $0.02, I considered top cases pretty hard and ended up buying the large BMW softcase3. The exceptionally easy attachement/removal, waterproof main compartment, an 55l capacity made the $259 seem pretty reasonable. Not the same as a top case, but damned useful.

Ski

I'm ready to order the older style 49L box from the UK BMW online store. Can anyone confirm that this box, sold for pre-wethead RT's, will still fit the rack? I have a 14' RT.

Yes, the pre-wethead 49l case will fit on the '14 and on bikes. I recently mounted my '06 RT's 49l case on a '16.

I don't think so IMHO Don. (BTW, I still know you)

My response is about 2/3 of the way down in here:

http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm

rt14-topcase.jpg

I was very happy with the big BMW topcase along with the brake light. I've been rear-ended, so the brake light was very much worth it for the safety factor. Plus, the inner light made it nice for camping.

28l

I went with the 28l and yes, it does hold a full face helmet. I bought it from the BMW UK store out of Germany. About $350 shipped to my house, including the ignition key tumbler and backrest. Came to my house in 8 days. I was a little leary about the low price and concerned about overseas shipping but all good. I happen to see a new RT with the 28l box in person and it looked just right so I pulled the trigger.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...nner-space-for-different-bmw-motorcycles.html

Jeff, could you take a picture of the 28L from a greater distance, so I can see what it looks like in relation to the bike? Thanks in advance.

I like the color matched lids. I have the 29L unpainted, and plan to paint the lid on the 49L. BTW, there's no handle on the new 49L case. I guess you have to just grab it or is there a trick when removing and carrying.

I like the color matched lids. I have the 29L unpainted, and plan to paint the lid on the 49L. BTW, there's no handle on the new 49L case. I guess you have to just grab it or is there a trick when removing and carrying.
I just use a case liner. It is a lot lighter, cleaner and easier in every regard than lugging around the case itself.

Back