• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 r1200rt reviews

motor4

Any reviews out there yet for the 2017 r1200rt model? I can't seem to find any.
Seems bmw took a long time to get the bikes to the dealers. Maybe they had a lot of left over 2016 models they needed to sell off. Wondering if the changes they made to the transmission resulted in improvements...needed or not. Also wonder if they finally resolved for good that water pump(?) weeping issue...if that was the area/name for it.

Ok, you can stop reading now. The rest is just me rambling on about bikes in general.

Don't know, for me it seems my old long in the tooth 2005 RT1200 model though not ridden much feels lighter then the new RT when sitting one at the dealer. The new ones just seem so massive around the tank area compared to mine.

Did like the photo posted of the 2017 black color (blue metal flake) though. Instead of a 'you had me at hello' moment I fall for the 'you had me with the color' :) at time. Pretty color bikes seems to be an art at Harley that is for certan...and no not trying to make this a Harley vs bmw thread. Have a 2014 XL1200c (first year abs) with 2015 Black Magic tins; has more metal flake then paint I bet and looks blue in the shade and pure silver metal flake in full sun light many times. Now just not sure if I want to keep her or not. Must be getting, am, old and comfort and function are..though really always have been...important to me. At times though do fall for a good looking bike or too die for color.

Figure the new model, though different is some ways, is overall better to own then the pre-water cooled RT line. And likewise the 2017 RT will be better then the 2016 through 2014 models maybe due to transmission changes. Still I wonder/guess the pre 2014 models have a character feel that differs from the water cooled ones that feels good for its own reasons.

Sadly my 05 model is worth little at the dealer even though it is a sweet ride and strangely shifts very very smoothly most all the time. Even has handlebar mirrors added which I love.

Strange, or not, that so many love the GS model. Only 30" inseam here and they sit so high though figure their low model helps on that front. Maybe due to it having the boxer engine though being lighter makes it a big hit for GS rides even though many may never do any dirt riding. Just seems one has some much better wind protection with the RT though too each their own.

My first bike was a r75/5 and put over 100k on that so opposed twin is my mothers voice calling to me.

And last, a plug for the new M8 Harley engine, they are sweet and many will say 'about time' I figure. Waiting to see how they will ride wth new frames in 2018 model line though. Seems they have a lot of left over 2016 models yet to sell.

Even with $6k off list price it would be hard to buy a Limited Harley vs the new M8 engine I figure. Seems said the Victory brand is now gone though, from what I read that 106 freedom v-twin was a sweet engine.

Ride safe everyone.

The '17 RT has been out for a while. I purchased one on January 14 and I was told it had been at dealer's for a couple of months...but in back room. As you say there were (are) a lot of 16's they want to move first. I've owned a '14, '15 RT and '16 GS so there is a basis for my comparison. Granted only have 700 miles on '17, but it has had it's 600 mile service and been up on the RPM scale.

In general it does not differ that much from the prior LC models...I DO like color best of rest...bright sun really brings out deep blue. Transmission is only real noticeable feature for me thus far. Smoother shifting and this bike does not have the high sound level "whine" I got from '14 and '15. I'm not sure what the source of that noise was, but it sounded like a "K" gear whine to me...and that's based on some K1200RS bikes I have owned. This bike seems quieter than any other RT I've owned...or perhaps my hearing has diminished that much more. But from idle to any around town speed it seems more "at peace" and highway speeds only sound increase is due to air flow, not engine racket.

I've added foam grips over the stock ones, Suburban Machinery Foot Peg lowering kit, plus their adjustable shift linkage rod. I had not needed this rod on other RT models when lowering kit was added, but the stock rod must be a little shorter this time, because when adjusting shifter to lower position the rod had so little thread left it came off once. Their 4/10's inch longer extension solves the problem.

Also interesting the toe shift extension from Ilium fell off once. I've never had that problem of prior RT's either. Not sure if stock BMW rubber toe piece is smaller diameter or not. Will use some tape to build this area up for hopefully better hold.

Level of fuel consumption is same (around 45 MPG for me). This bike does weigh more than non LC RT's, but when underway the pounds melt away. I feel handling is superb, especially for a grand touring/sport touring unit. Heat management is fantastic and amenities abound. However I'm old enough that I'd be just as happy without some items, ones I don't really need and only add potential of future repair cost...like keyless start, alarm, heated seat, shift assist and others out of mind right now.

Yes, my knees will eventually get too "old" for this weight, but till then I find this machine the best overall balanced one for me.

Also interesting the toe shift extension from Ilium fell off once. I've never had that problem of prior RT's either. Not sure if stock BMW rubber toe piece is smaller diameter or not. Will use some tape to build this area up for hopefully better hold.

I found a solution to the problem of the loose Ilium toe-shift extension. You could take a look at a prior thread on this here: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...m-Works-10-300-Shift-Extension-and-a-Solution

Don't know, for me it seems my old long in the tooth 2005 RT1200 model though not ridden much feels lighter then the new RT when sitting one at the dealer. The new ones just seem so massive around the tank area compared to mine.

Did like the photo posted of the 2017 black color (blue metal flake) though. Instead of a 'you had me at hello' moment I fall for the 'you had me with the color' :) at time. Pretty color bikes seems to be an art at Harley that is for certan...and no not trying to make this a Harley vs bmw thread. Have a 2014 XL1200c (first year abs) with 2015 Black Magic tins; has more metal flake then paint I bet and looks blue in the shade and pure silver metal flake in full sun light many times. Now just not sure if I want to keep her or not. Must be getting, am, old and comfort and function are..though really always have been...important to me. At times though do fall for a good looking bike or too die for color.

I recently went from a 2005 R1200RT to a 2016. The wet head may feel heavier when you're sitting on it in the dealership, but IMO its much easier to ride. The center of gravity is lower and the bike feels much less top heavy than the hexhead. I'm loving the new bike.

In terms of color, the "Carbon Black" is also on some cars with the "M Sport" package. I drive a 2014 535d in that color. The paint changes based on the light source and sometimes it looks blue and other times it looks black. When I've seen 2017 RTs they seem to look more blue than my car does, but both are "Carbon Black". I would have bought a 2017 is carbon black, but the deal I got on the 2016 was too good to pass up, so I pulled the trigger on it (In Platinum).

I just installed ilium works crash bars on it this week.

R1200RT_Ilium_Cropped_shrunk.jpg

Have sciatica, just got the MRI friday and hope to get results this week. Waiting to see if I'm going to get a epidermal and yet still the force is strong and a 2017 BMW R 1200 RT seems pretty enticing.

I'm hoping the pain will subside post shot, if given, and the MRI does not reveal anything too serious. Trust me, it is not fun to the fall to the floor when a fitness instuctor moves the chair, you were planning on sitting from behind you, thinking it was a tripping hazard and not take the time to tell the person who's back is turn she moved it.

And that thin carpet did not offer much padding as my skinny butt check slammed onto it. So much for doing an exercise class I guess...and not having a fat butt.

I'm hoping if I traded in an 05 on a r1200 RT 2017 model I wouldn't regret it for any reason after the fact. Biggest downside to the 05 is that brake assist they have on it I would say...if it breaks that will cost a pretty penny I bet. I have a nice aftermarket exhaust and a set of handlebar mirrors I love which are in addition to the standard ones. Plus she shifts like butter, like butter I said, most times :)

Besides the money factor of knocking cash off the deal by trading in, it would seem hard to justify having two opposed twin RT bikes even though each would be different from the other in a manner of speaking. Of course I know I can count on each and everyone of you to agree on that statement.

Though in the end, if I am fair to myself, I will have to see if it hurts to ride maybe post shot. Strangely enough I think it's a question of the position and feet to the foot pegs and seat which determines whether or not there is pain.

Then again I could make that statement about a variety of different chairs I attempt to sit on with or without a pillow now days.

Last edited:
Have sciatica, just got the MRI friday and hope to get results this week. Waiting to see if I'm going to get a epidermal and yet still the force is strong and a 2017 BMW R 1200 RT seems pretty enticing.

I'm hoping the pain will subside post shot, if given, and the MRI does not reveal anything too serious. Trust me, it is not fun to the fall to the floor when a fitness instuctor moves the chair, you were planning on sitting from behind you, thinking it was a tripping hazard and not take the time to tell the person who's back is turn she moved it.

And that thin carpet did not offer much padding as my skinny butt check slammed onto it. So much for doing an exercise class I guess...and not having a fat butt.

I'm hoping if I traded in an 05 on a r1200 RT 2017 model I wouldn't regret it for any reason after the fact. Biggest downside to the 05 is that brake assist they have on it I would say...if it breaks that will cost a pretty penny I bet. I have a nice aftermarket exhaust and a set of handlebar mirrors I love which are in addition to the standard ones. Plus she shifts like butter, like butter I said, most times :)

Besides the money factor of knocking cash off the deal by trading in, it would seem hard to justify having two opposed twin RT bikes even though each would be different from the other in a manner of speaking. Of course I know I can count on each and everyone of you to agree on that statement.

Though in the end, if I am fair to myself, I will have to see if it hurts to ride maybe post shot. Strangely enough I think it's a question of the position and feet to the foot pegs and seat which determines whether or not there is pain.

Then again I could make that statement about a variety of different chairs I attempt to sit on with or without a pillow now days.

I just finished the 600 mile break-in on a new 2017 RT. I'm headed to the shop tomorrow for the 600 mile service. All I can say is "WOW", what a motorcycle! I am selling a 2011 R1200GS. I have never taken it off road due to (back problems). Since I was not going off road, I switched to a road bike. I do not need 2 1200's.
As for your back, there is no quick fix. Patients and the correct care for your back is what you will need. All backs are different. I have had 12 rounds of epidermal shots. Those never worked for me. My wife had bulged a lumbar disc. One set of shots and it worked like magic. It bothers me that someone caused you to fall to the floor in a back rehab class? Maybe a different rehab class is needed? Take care of yourself........
John

Motor4 - like the last poster I also just hit The 600 mile break-in on my '17 RT. I came from a '12 GSA ('06 GS before that) and have no regrets to date. Best bike I've ridden so far and am looking forward to putting it thru it's paces in the mountains of VA/WV/NC this summer. Best of luck with your back and bike.

"... It bothers me that someone caused you to fall to the floor in a back rehab class?..."
No, no it was not a back rehab class it was just an exercise class.

My first bike was a r75/5 1971, at some point I had it painted a nice cream shade of white. Probably an old harley cream white. Considering the alpine white color though probably would not be as nice as the dark blue they offer now. Still a 2017 r1200rt model is a bit of change and I two two more years to work before retirement. Decisions, decisions then again should we only live once might as well enough the ride.
Ride safe all.

Well have a L4 and L5 pressing on a nerve so sadly had to put on hold option to purchase the bike until I find out what the back doctor tells me this Friday. Would hate to trade up to a new bike only to be told not to ride for a year or some such thing. Never had any real back issues to speak of so a bit of uncharted waters for me.

Sorry to hear that but hopeful things work out for you soon. I know back problems ... had a right side far-lateral herniation @ L3-L4 that required surgery. Things worked out well but full recovery did take a few months. Prior to that, I was walking with a limp and had difficulty sitting or standing for any period of time. No problems at all riding the RT now :)

An RT will be waiting when you're ready. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, whatever the course your treatment takes!

Moto4, sorry to hear about your back. Probably a good idea to hold off on your purchase, just like lirider said, an RT will be available when your ready for one. Concentrate on getting your back injury all worked out..........
John

I had a badly herniated disc L4,L5 that caused constant pain in my left leg and butt. It was unbearable. I had surgery last week of December. I then had a spinal fluid leak. I am now back to doing almost everything I was before surgery including riding both on and off road motorcycles and bicycles.

Back