• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just made a deal on an 09 R1200RT. Thoughts, Ideas, Problems, What to look for?

willhawks

Previous experience with R100RT, R1100RT, R1100RS and 2005 GS. What are the group's thoughts, ideas and cautions. What engine oil do they run? Transmission and Differential Oils? Time between valve adjustments? Aftermarket seats? Aeroflow, CE BAiley and Parabellum Shields and any other relevant facts opinions or death threats regarding this machine. FYI Black/Silver, Heated Grips, Seats, ESA, no radio, Small Trunk, appears bone stock. Mileage is 26,700.

Thanks in advance.

3hawks

Get a manual and follow the specifications for lubricants and service intervals. Seats and windshields can be a very subjective choice. What works well for one person may not for another. I wish I had better advice but don't have much experience with that model.

I've got an '09 RT also. Go to this site: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html and scroll down to the bottom. Click on the link "Safety Recalls". Enter your VIN and see if there are any recalls outstanding on your bike. IIRC there's a rear wheel flange fix and one or two other recalls on this model.

I have a Sargent seat that's an improvement over the stock one for me. I also needed to put a peg lowering kit on to help my knees. There are plenty of windscreens available if the stocker doesn't work for you (I've been playing with a shorter Cee Bailey for warm weather and a taller Wunderlich one for cold weather.). Oh, and you can find many of these items used over on the MOA Marketplace. Other than that just ride the p*ss out of it.

Most of the changes are personal, but there are common things...

Very few people like the stock seat for more than a couple hours. I've been happy with my Corbin seat (I'm in the minority.) after trying a ride-in Rocky Mayer that didn't give me the all day comfort that I wanted, and an ebay (not made for me) Russel Day Long. I did try the Sargent, and while many like it, I did not. It felt too much like the stock seat to me. Others really like their Sargents.

Windscreens are similar. I just ordered a large extra wide CalSci screen. I've used small and large Vstreams, and have mixed feelings about them. I bought them both because they are plexiglas and I like that very much. I'm not sure that I like the design, though, and I ride enough that I'm willing to try the CalSci. Had one on my 1150Rt, and really liked it. I expect that I'll be selling both Vstreams soon, if the CalSci is as quiet on the 1200.

Lowered footpegs are a must for my bad knee, and I ended up adding highway pegs to my bike for a little stretch-out every now and then. There are several good ones. I like my Ilium Works pegs. They make pegs that work with engine bars, and also make pegs that don't need engine bars.

I've also added Clearwater lights, and they are a huge improvement at night, while increasing visibility during the day.

As far as maintenance goes, get the Jim Von Baden DVD for your motorcycle, and a manual. The basic maintenance is cake. Follow the manual as far as viscosity for oil and gear oils. Pick your brand/poison and change the fluids when specified. What brand lubricant, and if the lubes should be synthetic has been beaten up pretty badly. It seems that lubrication related failures are few and far-between, as long as the minimums specifications and viscosity are met. Many need the absolute highest-tech, pure, synthetics. Others have a zillion miles on rotella that they bought at Walmart...

There are some final drive failures, and that is a known issue, though uncommon. Unfortunately, the final drive bearings are not lubricated in the final drive gear oil, as I understand it, and they can sometimes go bad.

You can run a Powerlet into the glove box and charge your phone out of the weather. There is more than enough spare electricity to run all the heated gear that you desire.

You can upgrade the suspension to Ohlins, or an equivalent. I only have experience with Ohlins, and it has been quite positive.

One of the best upgrades is tires, when the time comes. I've had PR3, PR4, Pirelli Angel (GT?), and Roadtec 01 on mine. The Roadtec is hands-down the best, in my opinion. Some day, I may try another tire, but I'm very happy with the Roadtecs, and expect to put several more tens of thousands of miles on the Metzelers.

The best thing I've spent is time. Riding. :)

My fuel strip started to go bad in my '08 RT1200RT late in the season last year. Although I always reset my trip odometer I found myself running out of fuel because I had a little too much faith in the 1/4 tank reading on the gauge...

I heard that was an ongoing issue for the hexhead RT's but supposedly they are/were covered by BMW warranty?

I was going to have mine fixed until the bike and me took a pickup truck to the rear. Fuel strip is no longer a big issue.

My fuel strip started to go bad in my '08 RT1200RT late in the season last year. Although I always reset my trip odometer I found myself running out of fuel because I had a little too much faith in the 1/4 tank reading on the gauge...

I heard that was an ongoing issue for the hexhead RT's but supposedly they are/were covered by BMW warranty?

I was going to have mine fixed until the bike and me took a pickup truck to the rear. Fuel strip is no longer a big issue.
You have a longer warranty on the fuel strip.

There is a recall on the final drive flange, and a recall on the fuel pump, both are important., as in save your life important. Check for recalls.

Rod

FWIW-- I had my new to me 2005 R1200ST with 35,000 miles on it in for 2 recalls (fuel pump fitting and drive flange) last month. The BMW mechanic found the fuel strip might be a problem when he did the diagnostics. He checked and it was replaced on BMW's dime that day. He said he thought they were still doing a free replacement. Thanks Jared at Iowa City BMW!

Back