• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

FREE Canada 150th Anniversary Parks Pass

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday. It took a while to get here, so if you want one, apply now.

Harry

Ours took six weeks. They send two passes, which is something that I evidently missed. I applied for both Annie and myself, so we have four. Since there is no identifying info on them I'll give them away at our next club get together.

Makes me wonder why the Parks people are going to all the expense of mailing the cards out. Why not just handout the cards when people first enter a park? I guess mailing them out allows them to have an idea about how many people will be using the parks... maybe.

Thank you for sharing. Planning 2 trips to Eastern Canada this spring and fall and this will give me a good reason to visit some parks. Cheers

Got mine...put it in take bag for when I take road trips.

Since what I received is designed to be hung from a car/truck mirror, how do you display it properly on the bike?

I have kept mine on in a clear pouch that is on the arm of my riding jacket but not everyone has that. However Parks Canada will simply ask you for your Pass if they don't see it right away and they have never bothered a motorcycle while parked anytime I have visited which is quite often. Remember your riding buddies are free too so they won't have a pass and rely on yours as well.

Remember your riding buddies are free too so they won't have a pass and rely on yours as well.

I really like that Canada does this and wish the US did the same.
We did not have any problem last summer when our bikes were parked with one pass, but just to be safe, I asked for 2 free passes :)

Got mine...put it in take bag for when I take road trips.

Since what I received is designed to be hung from a car/truck mirror, how do you display it properly on the bike?

If you don't have a tank bag with a map window you could carry some tape and stick it to the inside of your windshield.

Sounds like my tank bag map window is the best place show the pass.

I do keep it in a zip lock bag to keep it from getting wet and being ruined.

Glad to know it does not need to stay on the bike while camping.

If you are think of riding in Canada this summer be sure and apply and get your FREE Canada Parks Pass at:

Free 2017 Discovery Pass - Parks Canada Passes and Permits

on web at: http://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/parksb2c

:wave
Nothing is really free. This year to mark the anniversary of Parks Canada the Federal Government decided to give anyone who asked a free pass to the National Parks. I got mine.

Neat.

Except revenue from the $10 passes is figured into the National Parks budget and is used to maintain the parks. The Federal Government has not yet increased the National Parks budget to replace the revenue that will be lost from the free park pass program.

Enjoy the stunning beauty of Canada's national parks. The Rocky Mountain Parks, the Coastal regions, the Territory Parks and those of the central plains and eastern Canada will take your breath away if you are a first time or even returning visitor. But, expect even fewer services.

Nothing is really free. This year to mark the anniversary of Parks Canada the Federal Government decided to give anyone who asked a free pass to the National Parks. I got mine.

Neat.

Except revenue from the $10 passes is figured into the National Parks budget and is used to maintain the parks. The Federal Government has not yet increased the National Parks budget to replace the revenue that will be lost from the free park pass program.

Enjoy the stunning beauty of Canada's national parks. The Rocky Mountain Parks, the Coastal regions, the Territory Parks and those of the central plains and eastern Canada will take your breath away if you are a first time or even returning visitor. But, expect even fewer services.

It occurs to me that the revenue "lost" to the free pass program is unknown until the passes are actually used and the visits tallied up. So there is no way to tell how much money should be added to the Parks budget for this program.

This article indicates that the Canadian National Park system is receiving a $364 million budget increase over the next two years specifically for “asset management and infrastructure, not for new parks or for restoring conservation and science funding." It seems to indicate there are separate "hundreds of millions" planned for improvements and conservation.

I suppose if you are worried about your Parks' budget you could leave your free pass at home - they would probably be willing to take your money at the gate.

For those of us "south of the border", our national parks are expected to bear the brunt of a proposed 12% budget cut ($2 Billion USD)for the Department of the Interior, when the parks already have a $12 Billion maintenance backlog and greatly reduced programs and services.

Back