• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Temporary GPS?

RBEmerson

Kein Nasebohrer
The good news is we just pulled the trigger on our tickets to Germany and a week of Alpine riding. I think I'll be renting a K1600GT from Bike Travel Service in Munich (we're still negotiating km's - 300 km/day is ...um... well... yes, we're in a negotiations for something better than 300 km/day and €0.82/km thereafter - just under $2/mile? not in this life). Obviously the K1600 uses the Nav V and the Zumo 660/Nav IV doesn't fit the connector (no concern about not responding to handlebar controls). So, my options are to buy a Nav V, pre-load it with a host of waypoints and some day trip ideas, hope I can pre-load BTS' Nav V (about €40/wk - no fight there), or figure out how to use my 660. On my K1200RS I use a use a RAM Mount brake/clutch reservoir cover mount (longer screws holds the mount and reservoir together). Obviously, I want to be exceedingly low impact on BTS' bike. Sooooooo... ideas, anyone? Whatever I do has to be rugged, obviously, and leave not a hint of its presence when I'm done. I have a car windshield mount with a suction cup that generally works well. If, and this is a biggie, the mounting surface is clean. My assumption is there's no convenient flat place on the windscreen. I'll be happy to find that assumption's wrong.

- - - - -

No, I don't own a K1600. Yes, I have put 500+ miles on one (and might just sneak in some more... heh, heh, heh... gotta love my dealer...). Yes, I've ridden in the Alps before (last July - R1200RT "wethead". Hated the motor, hated the clunky gear box, loved the handling, even in hairpins). Yes, I feel comfortable with a GT in this setting. If various flavors of vee-twins can get to the top of the passes with hairpins, tell me why the K1600 can't. Yes, some people told me an RT couldn't do it. My reply is [/expletive deleted].

Obviously the K1600 uses the Nav V and the Zumo 660/Nav IV doesn't fit the connector (no concern about not responding to handlebar controls).

Are you sure? I thought the Zumo 660 would fit in the K1600 dash.
The Zumo 660 will fit the Nav V mount sold with the R1200RS and GS.

Well! Now you have me thinking! I was very emphatically told they don't match. To the point where, when I was at the dealer's on Saturday, I didn't even cart my 660 in. Gosh, thanks for the excuse to ride up and see the dealer again. [/big grin]

Well! Now you have me thinking! I was very emphatically told they don't match. To the point where, when I was at the dealer's on Saturday, I didn't even cart my 660 in. Gosh, thanks for the excuse to ride up and see the dealer again. [/big grin]
660 WILL fit right inside the GT mount no worries. I use both the 660 and Nav V on my GT and either will work in the OEM spot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Meh, no problem. I singularly dislike the wonder wheel. On the K's and on the R's. IMHO it's at best an interesting idea that requires too much thought. At worst, it sux. It's like the I-control in BMW cars. Give me task specific buttons as needed, damnit. But then I like paddle turn signal controls and thoroughly dislike the single button things, too.

Back