• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding to the rally from Virginia/NC/WV/MD area

new2f800gs

Hi, I am looking to connect with folks who are thinking of riding out to the rally from the Virginia/NC/WV/MD area.

I don't have a specific itinerary planned yet, but plan on staying off the highway and wind my way to SLC via a 2 lane route over 4 days or so.

Intend to camp along the way and/or inexpensive hostels as I find them. From SLC I'm heading on to Seattle for the month of August to visit family and riding the North West over the weekends (to give my kids a break :).

If you're looking for someone to ride out to the rally with or already have plans and are open to let me tag along, plus give me a ring.

Jay
(804) 869-1785

Ride to SLC and PNW from East Coast

Hi, I am looking to connect with folks who are thinking of riding out to the rally from the Virginia/NC/WV/MD area.

I don't have a specific itinerary planned yet, but plan on staying off the highway and wind my way to SLC via a 2 lane route over 4 days or so.

Intend to camp along the way and/or inexpensive hostels as I find them. From SLC I'm heading on to Seattle for the month of August to visit family and riding the North West over the weekends (to give my kids a break :).

If you're looking for someone to ride out to the rally with or already have plans and are open to let me tag along, plus give me a ring.

Jay
(804) 869-1785

Hi Jay and welcome to the forum! I'm planning to depart Virginia o/a 1 July (Saturday) and meander towards Colorado Springs before the rally, then head to Salt Lake City the following week. After the rally, Ill be heading to Seattle for a couple days, then up through BC to Alaska. No definite itinerary yet, but definitely must hit Colorado Springs along the way because my son will be at Ft. Carson and our new granddaughter is due to arrive the first week of July. My sister lives in Seattle, so that's another obligatory stop for me.

I'm flexible on route and camping/lodging options, so let me know if you'd be interested in meeting in Charlottesville or linking up somewhere else. I'm looking at routes through Kentucky and The Ozarks as I ride west from central Virginia, but open to other suggestions as well. Lots of great riding between Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City--take your pick! After the rally, I'd like to head north and ride Lolo Pass across Idaho. Other than that, no firm route to Seattle.

Anyone else planning a ride up to Alaska after the rally?

-MTS

Hi Jay and welcome to the forum! I'm planning to depart Virginia o/a 1 July (Saturday) and meander towards Colorado Springs before the rally, then head to Salt Lake City the following week. After the rally, Ill be heading to Seattle for a couple days, then up through BC to Alaska. No definite itinerary yet, but definitely must hit Colorado Springs along the way because my son will be at Ft. Carson and our new granddaughter is due to arrive the first week of July. My sister lives in Seattle, so that's another obligatory stop for me.

I'm flexible on route and camping/lodging options, so let me know if you'd be interested in meeting in Charlottesville or linking up somewhere else. I'm looking at routes through Kentucky and The Ozarks as I ride west from central Virginia, but open to other suggestions as well. Lots of great riding between Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City--take your pick! After the rally, I'd like to head north and ride Lolo Pass across Idaho. Other than that, no firm route to Seattle.

Anyone else planning a ride up to Alaska after the rally?

-MTS

Hi Mike,

Yes, let's chat sometime in the next couple of weeks to see what we can do. I also have family in Colorado Springs that I'd like to visit on the way out, so maybe the route planning gods are aligned.

BTW: I was just looking around the forum and read about your world-class get off last year! My word what a miraculous recovery and to be frank, pretty amazed you decided to keep at it. I had a similar experience in 2002 but waited two years before taking up the habit again....

My phone is (804) 869-1785. Give me a shout sometime in the evenings (I still work part-time during the week). Jay

Hi Mike,

Yes, let's chat sometime in the next couple of weeks to see what we can do. I also have family in Colorado Springs that I'd like to visit on the way out, so maybe the route planning gods are aligned.

Sounds like a plan! PM sent. :nod

I'll be taking "The Beast" (KTM) on this trip, so I'd also be up for a bit of trail riding or short off-road excursions along the way.

-MTS

I'm Headed that way too

I'm planning on heading out the weekend after the 4th of July on my R1150 GSA. No specific route plotted yet but planning on returning to Denver where I'll be leaving my 1150 with my son and flying home. I'm located in C'ville and talked with Mike but cant get away as early.

I'm planning on heading out the weekend after the 4th of July on my R1150 GSA. No specific route plotted yet but planning on returning to Denver where I'll be leaving my 1150 with my son and flying home. I'm located in C'ville and talked with Mike but cant get away as early.

Hi, just curious if your son has room for a second bike to be parked for 2 weeks? I'm trying to sort out if I can get all the time i need in july off as originally hoped. May be blocked from being out that long (I also need to be out in August) and am thinking one solution might be to ride out to the rally with Mike then leave my bike in SLC or Denver and fly home for a couple of weeks for work. Would fly back last weekend in July to get bike and head out to Seattle for three weeks in August as originally planned (I'm leaving my bike in Seattle at my son's place and am even thinking of selling it from there or keep it to ride the northwest and into Alaska in the spring of 2018....)

Tulliver and I will be scooting across the Midwest and Plains, but have a campsite reserved in Rocky Mtn Natl Park for Monday and Tuesday the 10th and 11th. There's room for one more tent if anyone finds themselves in the area. Wednesday night we're hoteling it in Vernal to wash away the stink and be at Flaming Gourge for sunrise. By Thursday night we'll be in the Sulphur Campground on hwy 150 in the Uintas. Room for another tent there as well. Friday morning we'll make the 90 minute ride to the rally where we hope to find some old time friends to catch up with. And of course the Red Dog Saloon in the Beer tent is a must!

Hope to see some of you on the road or at the rally

Pete and Tully

SLC frin VA

Hi Don! I am riding out to SLC also, from Roanoke. Any chance you would be ready to ride on the 5th of July? That would give some extra time for exploring in Colorado and Utah before arriving at rally site on Wednesday. (I messaged you on FB about possibly hooking up)

For the return trip after rally, I will be heading back to Virginia and would be interested in hooking up with someone headed East. I don't necessarily have to hurry back, but want to get home in 4 or 5 days.

Hank Pfister
Roanoke VA
'13 R1200 GSA

Back