• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Riding around the Sequoias

Effective July 1, 2017 the current $10 price for a lifetime Senior Pass will go up to $80. If eligible, get one before July 1.

Can anybody explain how the National Park Service can get away with raising a fee 800% (on Seniors) to enter land that you already own and are paying maintenance yearly (taxes) already. A required 800% increase says to me "poor management". Time for new management, especially if they think that an 800% increase is OK.

Sorry about the rant, but the view from the proverbial "Handbasket" is ugly.

Oh yeah, bout those Sequoias.

Charlie

Sounds like you have it all sorted out by now- but the giant Sequoias are located in a pretty specific range in CA.

Sequoiadendron_giganteum_levila.png

I live in Seattle and just getting to northern CA is at least a long days ride on boring I-5 south. Then to get to the Sequoias would be at least another.

I did the Redwoods National Park (top of coast north CA) a couple summers ago and was very blown away by the size of the trees. Bombing down there would be a good day and a half from Seattle (~650 miles). But, here is what I would do - hit the road (I-5) and drive to Ashland, OR. Spend the night there - its a great little artsy town and then the next day head into California and pick up CA 96 though Happy Camp and on to the coast. 96 is an amazing long twisty road. Hit the Redwoods and then come up the Oregon coast.

Sounds like a great idea you have for a nice trip. Have fun.

Can anybody explain how the National Park Service can get away with raising a fee 800% (on Seniors) to enter land that you already own and are paying maintenance yearly (taxes) already. A required 800% increase says to me "poor management". Time for new management, especially if they think that an 800% increase is OK.

Sorry about the rant, but the view from the proverbial "Handbasket" is ugly.

Oh yeah, bout those Sequoias.

Charlie

I'm amazed that they even offer a lifetime pass. I've been quite happy to pay the $80 for an annual pass. In recent years, the NPS budget has been cut almost yearly, while each year they set new attendance records. The heavy usage and minimal maintenance is showing up in reduced staffing, reduced education programs and worn facilities. Could the NPS be more efficient? Of, course! It's a large government bureaucracy, with the tons of federal regulations and politics that are inherent in such an organization.

I still think either pass is a bargain.

From Post #22 zenwipper
head into California and pick up CA 96 though Happy Camp and on to the coast. 96 is an amazing long twisty road.

Was headed there once and I recall there being a question as to there being fuel in Happy Camp. Anyone know if there is fuel there. It a consideration when traveling alone in places you're not familiar with.

Charlie

Road Closures

There are some road closures on Hwy. 1 you may want to check on before you head out on your trip.
We've had a very wet winter with lots of slides. Some should be clear by May and some won't be.
Caltrans has a quick map to check on road conditions.
http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

One of the things we lost is the drive through redwood tree. :cry

Back