• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding around the Sequoias

72r60/7

I'm an East Coaster that wants to ride around the native areas of the Sequoias for 2-5 days +- in mid May.
I'd welcome any advice on that area.
Been keeping a Bike in the Pacific NW and gonna bring home for major servicing.

Riding Two up and motels/hotels.
I/we are flexible day to day according to the wind direction.
Been keeping a Bike in the Pacific NW and gonna bring home for major servicing.

Any advice (general to detailed) will be appreciated pertaining to the Sequoias areas:

Nice roads
Paved roads (with short excursions on dirt roads cause you may not see much if you don't).
Lodging moderate to mid range
Eateries/local foods
Being around nice people

Etc.

I only remember a teeny bit from a 1975 trip on a '72 R60/5 with an Avon Fairing.
Luckily I am still gawking on two wheels.

Thanks,
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

The Sequoia's cover a big area? It might help knowing where you are coming from and where you would like to end up? Are you mostly looking to ride the road to do your sight seeing or do you want to get off the bike and do some hiking?

John

Generally coming from N or NW and heading toward S/SE (Utah and maybe Santa Fe to visit a friend ) but nothing definite. Just riding near and wanted to see nice forest since I know they are near where my general direction may be.
We don't hike but can picnic and nap with the best of 'em in peaceful places. We also like small towns and places that have benches on "Main St" however small.
Basically, we'll just be riding thru slowly and don't like answering the question "Did you go this way or to this place" with "No, I didn't know about that". It happens.
I can stop more in a 200 mi day than anybody riding solo should be allowed too.

Thanks John,

Charlie

Starting from the Pacific NW is sort of general. But assuming you want to maximize time on fun roads and less on the superslab, I'd buzz down I-5 to Grants Pass, OR then take 199 to Crescent City, CA. Once you crest over into CA you'll start encountering the redwoods on some nice pavement. South on 101 will take you through, or close to, many redwood groves. One of the highly recommended roads down that way is Hwy 36 that intersects 101 just south of Fortuna and goes eastward to Red Bluff. I've not encountered 36 yet, but it's somewhat legendary out here.

On your way towards Utah you could go up through Lassen, or try the Feather River Highway, both ultimately lead you through Reno...

Last year I did some of those areas and need to look into your suggestions on the other roads. Even if I need to backtrack.

Highlights last year were:

A slow days ride up the Rogue River to Agness, OR to mail a Postcard.

The small Redwood Grove, 5 mi. +- (on a easy dirt road in the dry), East of Cresent City. There I stayed in the Curly Redwood Lodge, a 50's era local motel that was built entirely from 1 tree. All 57,000 board feet.
Basic, Friendly and Affordable.

There was a good road, Rt 1, from Leggett, CA toward the Coast and South to Fort Bragg where a East direction took me again (last visit was 40+ yrs ago) to Chico and North to Lassen, that was closed due to snow, again. The thru road doesn't open till July, on average, maybe. Worth going as far as you can go on either end of the Park though.

I had a very nice ride from Weed, Ca over to Callahan and Etna and up a nice Valley to Yreka, w/ Mt Shasta dominating the rear view mirror. Thanks to Butler maps for that one.
That was also the first time I ever saw wildlife, deer, standing in a creek/river and drinking, as I look over every bridge I ever cross.

All those places are very entertaining to country folk (me) from the East Coast where I'm from.

Hence the desire to ride around or through the Sequoias.

Keep 'em coming.
Charlie

Last edited:
Charlie, Hwy-36 is a great motorcycle ride! Fortuna to Red Bluff. Or the other way around. Good places to stay in Fortuna. Don't miss the Eel River Brewing Co. for good food and of course beer.

It is hard to say which way to go? I have done rides where I have followed most of the river roads from I-5 To Hwy-1/101 and back in both Oregon and California. (not at one time) I like them all. I don't care for the heat so I stay along the coast as much as possible or in the higher elevations. It is pretty country.

Hwy-89 cuts across the Sierra from Mt. Shasta to Hwy-88. It takes you around part of Lake Tahoe. Pulls you away from the redwoods but you trade that in for some large conifers.

Are you looking to drop south of Mendocino? South of San Francisco?

John

You need to be clearer on what you are looking for.

Coastal Redwoods (tallest trees in the world) are like the name implies, found along the northern coastal range of California.

Giant Sequoias (most massive trees in the world) are found in several groves along the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountains in eastern California mostly south of Yosemite, with the most significant grove being the Giant Forrest in Sequoia National Park, with five of the ten most massive trees in the world.

So northwest Calif. for the tallest (Coastal Redwoods) and southeast Calif. for the most massive (Giant Sequoia) (up to 33 ft. diameter).:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

If you want coastal redwoods, take 101 from the Oregon border south to Humbolt county. Get off at Avenue of the Giants (31 miles of old 101 that parallels the new 101). It takes you through the heart of some of the best old growth redwoods. Free Brochure/map available at north and south ends at side of road. http://avenueofthegiants.net/wp-content/uploads/Avenue2016BrochureAndMap.pdf

Take side trip on Mattole Rd. to Rockefeller Grove. Short .5 mile loop walk to Giant Tree.

Stop at Founders Grove and take short walk (.6 mile loop) past Dyerville Giant 370' fallen redwood.

There are a couple drive thru trees that for $6 you can get your picture in the tree.

Great road!!! Stop in one of the small villages along the Avenue of the Giants for either you meal or pick up food for a picnic among the Giants.

Last edited:
Should the title have read "Riding around the Sequoia TREES" or "Riding around where the Sequoia trees ARE" instead of "Riding around the Sequoias"

Hence the desire to ride around or through the Sequoias.
Sorry, I can't be more specific than that.

several groves along the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountains in eastern California mostly south of Yosemite,

I have a Butler map of N. California. Perhaps I should just get a Butler map of Central and/or S. California also.

Charlie

Well you are correct 98lee on knowing what Sequoia trees Charles is looking for? They are a ways apart. People throw that tree name (Sequoia) around for both types of trees and I get locked in on the type I live in around on the coast of California. Which would be more on the southern end of the Coastal Redwood range. For what it is worth, here is why some are confused.

The botanical name: Sequoia Semperviren- Coastal Redwoods are indeed on the coast of mostly California. There are some in southern Oregon.
The botanical name: Sequoiadendron giganteom- Giant Sequoia are the trees in the Sierra Mountains.

For many people the terms get screwed up as to what they are referring to? It is easy to do when compared together.

My Dad was a State Forester and literally grew millions of Redwoods and many other species of trees for reforestation. Both kinds of Redwoods hold their own beauty.......

John

Thanks for the clarification John. I was referring to the Sequoia of the Sierras as I thought Redwoods were referred to Coastal Redwoods as their native range was limited to 30 +- miles within the Pacific Coast. Appearently an erroneous oversimplification for the uninformed.

You posted as I was just headed to my most prized book "Native Trees of North America" to see if I knew what I was talking about or just been riding too long with my mouth open.
Charlie

Last edited:
Charlie,

Like John explained, there are a couple species of trees that are technically "Sequoias".

But the tallest ones along the coast are commonly called "Coastal Redwoods" and the slightly shorter but much larger diameter ones in parts of the south western Sierra Nevada range are commonly called "Giant Sequoia or just Sequoia".

So which ones are you looking to ride through? You can do both if you want to ride that far south before heading back up to Utah. They are both amazing and definitely worth it!

Thanks for the clarification John. I was referring to the Sequoia of the Sierras as I thought Redwoods were referred to Coastal Redwoods as their native range was limited to 30 +- miles within the Pacific Coast. Appearently an erroneous oversimplification for the uninformed.

You posted as I was just headed to my most prized book "Native Trees of North America" to see if I knew what I was talking about or just been riding to long with my mouth open.
Charlie

Normally, I would suggest Mariposa Grove inside the southern gate of Yosemite, but it is closed until late 2017 for restoration work. The millions of visitors to the grove have been hard on the shallow roots of these giants, so they are doing work to the trails to minimize the impact.

There are less than 80 groves (some with as few as a dozen mature trees) in California. For the best experience, head for Sequoia National Park (you do have your National Park Senior Pass, right?).

Looking for just the (Giant) Sequoia of the Sierra Nevada this trip, Lee.
Should have used the Latin names.

Thanks to all for staying until I got back on track.

Charlie

Mid May may be a problem if the winter storms keep up for a few more weeks like we've been having. The Sequoias are at higher elevations and the snow might not be melted by mid May this year. Check road conditions and access before your trip.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/sequoiagroves.htm

If at all possible, see the General Sherman tree, the largest tree in the world.

(you do have your National Park Senior Pass, right?).

Absolutely! Best Deal in the US.

As a matter of fact, within the past year or two I was able to convey to the family of the person in the Park system that thought up the idea (Senior Pass) and pushed it to implementation how very appreciative I was for his contribution.

80 groves ! That'll keep me busy.

Altitude and snow. Good point. There's always next year, hopefully.

I did see "General Sherman in 1975 but dont remember much except "Big", "Very Big" and that I needed to come back one day to see more (areas).

Charlie

This has been a wild year for rain and snow fall. Some of the ski resorts are talking about being open up to the 4th of July. Access to some of these parks may be later than we have seen in a while?

Calaveras Big Trees on Hwy-4 might be good? However, the Pioneer Cabin Tree, fell over during recent storms. That was the one you could walk through. Nice motorcycle ride over Hwy-4 if it is open?

John

Absolutely! Best Deal in the US.

As a matter of fact, within the past year or two I was able to convey to the family of the person in the Park system that thought up the idea (Senior Pass) and pushed it to implementation how very appreciative I was for his contribution.

Effective July 1, 2017 the current $10 price for a lifetime Senior Pass will go up to $80. If eligible, get one before July 1.

Effective July 1, 2017 the current $10 price for a lifetime Senior Pass will go up to $80. If eligible, get one before July 1.

Took a ride Wednesday to the closest National Forest Service office to get mine. I could have ordered it online for $10 more, but felt the money was better spent on motorcycle gas. Expect to put it to use on the way to/from the rally.

Back