Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Riding around the Sequoias

(you do have your National Park Senior Pass, right?).
    Absolutely! Best Deal in the US.

As a matter of fact, within the past year or two I was able to convey to the family of the person in the Park system that thought up the idea (Senior Pass) and pushed it to implementation how very appreciative I was for his contribution.

80 groves ! That'll keep me busy.

Altitude and snow. Good point. There's always next year, hopefully.

I did see "General Sherman in 1975 but dont remember much except "Big", "Very Big" and that I needed to come back one day to see more (areas).

Charlie

This has been a wild year for rain and snow fall. Some of the ski resorts are talking about being open up to the 4th of July. Access to some of these parks may be later than we have seen in a while?

Calaveras Big Trees on Hwy-4 might be good? However, the Pioneer Cabin Tree, fell over during recent storms. That was the one you could walk through. Nice motorcycle ride over Hwy-4 if it is open?

John

Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    Absolutely! Best Deal in the US.

As a matter of fact, within the past year or two I was able to convey to the family of the person in the Park system that thought up the idea (Senior Pass) and pushed it to implementation how very appreciative I was for his contribution.
    Effective July 1, 2017 the current $10 price for a lifetime Senior Pass will go up to $80. If eligible, get one before July 1.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Effective July 1, 2017 the current $10 price for a lifetime Senior Pass will go up to $80. If eligible, get one before July 1.
    Took a ride Wednesday to the closest National Forest Service office to get mine. I could have ordered it online for $10 more, but felt the money was better spent on motorcycle gas. Expect to put it to use on the way to/from the rally.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Can anybody explain how the National Park Service can get away with raising a fee 800% (on Seniors) to enter land that you already own and are paying maintenance yearly (taxes) already. A required 800% increase says to me "poor management". Time for new management, especially if they think that an 800% increase is OK.

Sorry about the rant, but the view from the proverbial "Handbasket" is ugly.

Oh yeah, bout those Sequoias.

Charlie

Sounds like you have it all sorted out by now- but the giant Sequoias are located in a pretty specific range in CA.

Sequoiadendron_giganteum_levila.png

I live in Seattle and just getting to northern CA is at least a long days ride on boring I-5 south. Then to get to the Sequoias would be at least another.

I did the Redwoods National Park (top of coast north CA) a couple summers ago and was very blown away by the size of the trees. Bombing down there would be a good day and a half from Seattle (~650 miles). But, here is what I would do - hit the road (I-5) and drive to Ashland, OR. Spend the night there - its a great little artsy town and then the next day head into California and pick up CA 96 though Happy Camp and on to the coast. 96 is an amazing long twisty road. Hit the Redwoods and then come up the Oregon coast.

Sounds like a great idea you have for a nice trip. Have fun.
    I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR

Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    Can anybody explain how the National Park Service can get away with raising a fee 800% (on Seniors) to enter land that you already own and are paying maintenance yearly (taxes) already. A required 800% increase says to me "poor management". Time for new management, especially if they think that an 800% increase is OK.

Sorry about the rant, but the view from the proverbial "Handbasket" is ugly.

Oh yeah, bout those Sequoias.

Charlie
    I'm amazed that they even offer a lifetime pass. I've been quite happy to pay the $80 for an annual pass. In recent years, the NPS budget has been cut almost yearly, while each year they set new attendance records. The heavy usage and minimal maintenance is showing up in reduced staffing, reduced education programs and worn facilities. Could the NPS be more efficient? Of, course! It's a large government bureaucracy, with the tons of federal regulations and politics that are inherent in such an organization.

I still think either pass is a bargain.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

From Post #22 zenwipper
    head into California and pick up CA 96 though Happy Camp and on to the coast. 96 is an amazing long twisty road.
    Was headed there once and I recall there being a question as to there being fuel in Happy Camp. Anyone know if there is fuel there. It a consideration when traveling alone in places you're not familiar with.

Charlie

Road Closures

There are some road closures on Hwy. 1 you may want to check on before you head out on your trip.
    We've had a very wet winter with lots of slides. Some should be clear by May and some won't be.
    Caltrans has a quick map to check on road conditions.
    http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

One of the things we lost is the drive through redwood tree.
    Enjoying life in the beautiful state of Jefferson
    2013 K1600GTL : 2004 VTX1800c : 2007 K1200GT with Hannigen sidecar